What games are you playing now?

I'm still plugging along in Persona four, I'm in early November now and still working on getting my main team mates up to snuff, rank and gear-wise. So far it's been a solid fun game, great balance between some social aspects and real, gritty combat/dungeon exploration.

I picked up the Borderlands ‘Legendary Collection’ for the Switch on a sale last week and started playing the first game, but am apparently not in the mood for a looter-shooter right now, so I am replaying a couple of old ‘Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure’ games that were pretty cool and light fun until I figure out what I want to play or get into the mood to play Borderlands ... also loaded the sequel in case that ends up being more interesting to me.

Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr

boring as fuck, every map looks the same and runs like an ass, no idea why i have massive fps drops, probably because of the online only bullshit

I'm playing the original campaign of NWN EE. I haven't played this in years. I'm finishing up the first chapter and just started the Blacklake(Noble) district. I'm not really sure what EE brings to the table. It looks mostly as I remember it, but it has been a long time. It does run fine in 1920/1080. Aribel isn't whiny yet. She does come across as someone who gained her levels outside of combat :)

Finally finished The Summoning.
It's a far cry from it's engine sibling Veil of Darkness, which despite it's lacking RPG credentials was a solid and enjoyable game all the way to the finish. .

Totally agree. Veil was a very interesting "adventure game with light RPG elements" (think the Quest for Glory series as a distant cousin) and it was good. Really loved the limited 90's technology for creating effective atmosphere -- living proof that you don't need $50Mil to create a moody game.

After playing Hades to death (heh, geddit?), to fancy my ARPG itch I re-re-re-re-restarted playing Shadows: Awakening
For some reason, after all those years this game finally clicked, and I'm having a blast.
Also: Tom Baker, FTW!

I'm playing the original campaign of NWN EE. I haven't played this in years. I'm finishing up the first chapter and just started the Blacklake(Noble) district. I'm not really sure what EE brings to the table. It looks mostly as I remember it, but it has been a long time. It does run fine in 1920/1080. Aribel isn't whiny yet. She does come across as someone who gained her levels outside of combat :)

I think that “ It looks mostly as I remember it” is the key ... having played a bunch of late 90s / early 00s games lately that have NOT gotten an EE, you can really feel how clunky things get with time - Gothic.2 is pretty much a nightmare to get running 100% on a modern 2-in-1 touchscreen laptop as an example. So NWN:EE being ‘as you remember’ is actually a GOOD thing. And having played the EE of an on since it came out, you can see significant advances in how that has developed.

These days, I'm playing to Mount & Blade 2. It's my second take on the game. The game has improved a lot since I tried it for the first time, last spring. It also run much more smoother on my machine. I don't know if it's because they have improved the game or it's the 8 gb of Ram I have added on my machine this summer. It's also great to see how they have improved Mount & Blade 1. Graphics are prettier... but party management, trade, fief management, etc have also improved quite a bit. I hesitate between continuing to play or wait until they finish it a bit more.

Lately, I have also been playing Disciples 3 : Reincarnation. Dark, gritty. Exploring is great. I finished the imperial campaign and now I'm playing the elven one. It's just getting a little bit too repetitive.

On my cellphone, I have been playing the newly released 9th Dawn III. Cool game. Respawning dungeons get a bit frustrating, however.

I have tried Deity Empire and I'm still not sure about that game. It still needs some polish, imo.

I played the Vagrus - The Riven Realms demo. Great atmosphere, great texts, great story. But I always feel that sort of game doesn't give enough freedom. It's too much scripted.

Dominion 5 is the game I always get back too when I get bored by everything else. So much replayability. So much depth. Such a great games.

I gave a try to Sand of Salazar. I enjoyed the sandbox aspect of the game but the battles were such a mess it was border unplayable.

For nostalgia's sake, I bought / reinstalled Warlords Battlecry III on my PC. It's seriously dated but stil very much fun and playable.

Others games I bought/played recently but didn't play long / appreciate : Battlestar Galactica Deadlock, Sword Legacy Omen, Heroes of the Monkey Tavern, Gloomhaven, Urtuk: The Desolation. Fortunately, all of them were on sale / inexpensive.

Dominion 5 is the game I always get back too when I get bored by everything else. So much replayability. So much depth. Such a great games.

I love those games. I wasn't thrilled by how similar 5 was to 4, but I bought it anyway because it's just worth it to support the devs. Dominions is truly unique. Anyone who likes strategy games and isn't put off by the graphics and sound effects should try it. Good mod scene too.

Speaking of strategy games, that's what I've mostly been playing lately. I've played mostly Fantasy General II and Warhammer: Armageddon this past week and am enjoying both. I also picked up Unity of Command 2 and Warhammer 40K: Gladius. (All but UofC2 were/are on sale on the Humble store at the moment, though not for much longer)

I've also been playing a season of Out of the Park Baseball 2021.

I've also been playing a season of Out of the Park Baseball 2021.

A fairly ironic name, considering! We've all been out of the park for quite some time. I live in baseball heaven and it is pure torture not catching a game. Also, Lou Brock and Bob Gibson both dying during the Covid-19 season is just a huge blow to Cardinal Nation. We can't really gather and mourn such great losses. These guys are like Mount Rushmore to Cards fans.

I love those games. I wasn't thrilled by how similar 5 was to 4, but I bought it anyway because it's just worth it to support the devs. Dominions is truly unique. Anyone who likes strategy games and isn't put off by the graphics and sound effects should try it. Good mod scene too.

Really.

I only wish the game (Dominion IX? ;-)) could have more diplomatic options, eventually, and a re-work of the mercenary system. Each Dominion game is very similar to the precedent one, with a few new features / races added each time. I far prefer this over a full rework of the game with newer/prettier graphics but far less content.

Really.

I only wish the game (Dominion IX? ;-)) could have more diplomatic options, eventually, and a re-work of the mercenary system. Each Dominion game is very similar to the precedent one, with a few new features / races added each time. I far prefer this over a full rework of the game with newer/prettier graphics but far less content.

What I would *really* like is more maps. Dominions 5 really killed the map modding scene, I guess because of the need to do seasonal changes. Whatever the reason, I had a whole bunch of nice maps for 4, but very few good ones (or bad ones) have been made for 5. And the game itself comes with a pitiful number. For me, the random map generator is not a worthy substitute.

True. Last time I checked the Steam workshop, the quantity of map available was pretty limited. I thought that maybe there was another site better for this?

But personally, I find that the maps created by the generator can be pretty interesting. It's just... very random.

What I would *really* like is more maps. Dominions 5 really killed the map modding scene, I guess because of the need to do seasonal changes. Whatever the reason, I had a whole bunch of nice maps for 4, but very few good ones (or bad ones) have been made for 5. And the game itself comes with a pitiful number. For me, the random map generator is not a worthy substitute.

And I would kill for a "save as" function :)

(Yeah, I know, we can save the files, but still...)

Totally agree. Veil was a very interesting "adventure game with light RPG elements" (think the Quest for Glory series as a distant cousin) and it was good. Really loved the limited 90's technology for creating effective atmosphere -- living proof that you don't need $50Mil to create a moody game.

Yeah. I don't know that I'd classify it as an RPG, despite sharing the engine and graphics with two of them, but it is a very solid, atmospheric game.

I tried a Pokemon game. Sapphire for the GBA to be specific. So far, I'm unimpressed; it's a kiddified JRPG, but behind where JRPGs were a decade earlier in mechanics and story. I'll probably drop it before long unless something changes; I'm at the point where it's rare that I will stick through with a game unless I'm actually having fun.

Just started Mafia - Definitve Edition and still playing a few Hearts of Iron 4 mods.

I highly recommend these two mods for HOI4.

The New Order: Last Days of Europe

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2173766180
World War II has been over for twenty years, but its legacy still lives on. The German Reich reigns supreme from the Atlantic sea to the once great city of Moscow, ruling Europe with an iron fist. Thousands live and die every day under German tyranny, yearning for a freedom that may never come.

But all is not well in the Reich.

Hitler lays on his deathbed even as the first German raumsonaut lands on the moon, and already the vultures pick at his corpse. Albert Speer, Martin Bormann, Hermann Göring and Reinhard Heydrich each prepare to take power in the Reich, and the world waits with baited breath for the storm that is surely coming. Outside of the Reichstag in the megacity of Germania, partisans prepare for their final struggle, and Heinrich Himmler plots to bring the world to the edge from his spartanist utopia in the Ordenstaat of Burgundy.

Across the seas, the United States gathers allies to prevent the fall of democracy in the world, struggling to contain its own politics long enough to tear up the treaties that had ended the Second World War.

In Asia, the Japanese Empire groans under the weight of rivals within as well as without, as a hundred different cultures struggle and begin to cooperate in the goal of finally overthrowing their slaveholder.

In the Mediterraenan, an old alliance feuds with itself. A reformer in Italy seeks to create a hotbed of democracy in Europe as an aging Franco fights to keep control of Iberia.

Russia is shattered, and dozens of warlords scrabble to pick up the pieces of a broken nation and restore what Bukharin lost.

The world teeters in a careful balance. Will it survive to see a new millennium, or is this the beginning of the end?
Thousand Week Reich

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2204739234
The year is 1952 - while the spectre of Nazi domination stands over a nightmarish Europe, the western powers led by the rising United States and the battered but not beaten United Kingdom rise to challenge the wavering German superpower. Since its victory at Dunkirk and the long and costly war against the Soviet Union, Germany’s cruel and nightmarish rule over Europe seems outwardly secure, but as Hitler grows old and ill, instability and rebellion threaten to shake this ‘New Order’ apart. At the same time, the ripples caused by the fall of Europe roll across the globe changing the course of history, with European colonial empires falling and a rising Chinese Republic eager to fill the vacuum left by a defeated Japan. though the memory of war lies fresh in the memories of everyone, the perverse status quo cannot hold for long…

Thousand Week Reich is an alternate history mod that attempts to bring a sense of grounded, gritty realism to the age-old trope of an Axis 'victory' in the Second World War. Originally based on a series of maps by AP246/Proximexo, the TWR mod aims to explore a more grounded and ‘realistic’ version of the trope of a victorious Nazi Germany. Enter the world of TWR in 1952 and fight to hold onto the disintegrating remains of German ‘New Order’ or rise up to the task of defeating the oppressor and liberating Europe from Nazi tyranny.

Began the Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, but woah is this complicated !
I think I've just become too lazy now over the last years.

I think I've spent half an hour or even more just reading the in-game mechanics explanations.

The first fights - I'm still within the tutorial part of finding all group members again - was fun, but complicated. Lots of thinking. I think I'll enjoy that. :lol:

Any update on this? Enjoying at all? Looked pretty interesting. Was thinking about trying out once I finish Wasteland.

Wasteland 3 - game looks like shit, loadings are a pain in the ass and the UI is fucking consolish; rest is good, level 11 atm, game is enjoyable

Not sure if you were kind of joking, but I would disagree on everything here except the load times which are a well documented pain, but not a show stopper for me personally (and improved with recent patch). I think it is a really great game. Having a lot of fun playing. Would definitely recommend wholeheartedly to the Watch community. Great story / writing IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom