Octopath Traveler - Review @ PC Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer has reviewed Octopath Traveler:

Octopath Traveler review

This neo-retro JRPG is frustratingly close to something special.

What's new is old again. The trademarked 'HD-2D' art style of Acquire's likeable JRPG tips its hat to its publisher's rich genre history while acknowledging technical advancements since Square's 16-bit golden age. Combining pixel art with contemporary effects--shallow focus, bokeh, real-time lighting and shadows, slightly excessive bloom--it's an immediately distinctive look. As a fusion of past and present, it works very well...up to a point. And, well, I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.
[...]
It's a pity your party only really becomes a team on the battlefield. Outside it, the characters rarely feel connected, while potential conflicts are also conveniently ignored, even when two characters' morals should theoretically be in opposition. Octopath Traveler gives us reason to care about the eight protagonists as individuals, but in failing to bring their stories together, it falls short of the classics that inspired it.

Score: 76/100
More information.

Not AAA game. So on PC the 60$ price tag is high. But this is definitely not 10$ game either. Game is not bad and with some discount shouldnt be overlooked by those interested in JRPG genre.

Not AAA game. So on PC the 60$ price tag is high. But this is definitely not 10$ game either. Game is not bad and with some discount shouldnt be overlooked by those interested in JRPG genre.

Agreed. Got it wishlisted, and I think, based on reviews, $30USD seems reasonable.

I wrote to the developers offering to rename their creation to Octroparth Travlerrelhg so we can at least pronounce their title easier!

I've slotted it at #23 on the queue. It will probably be cheaper before I get to it.

The price certainly doesn't seem to match the enjoyment factor I've heard from some that have played this on the Switch. I'll likely pick it up during a sale at some point later this year.

Back
Top Bottom