The TV Series discussion thread

I wish we had the Last Kingdom show where I live, but sadly doesn't seem like BBC Canada is carrying it at all. If it is anything like the books, it really should be awesome. I'll be getting the dvd at some point, that's for sure.

Fargo was indeed absolutely brilliant! Fargo & True detective were definitely top series of last year. :) There is no question of TD season 2 being entertaining, but not as great as season 1. Intresting to see how Fargo compares against last year's Fargo.

Has anyone been following House of Cards? Just recently finished season 3. Man it has become my favourite political drama series. Kevin Spacey really nails that role! Other actors truly pull their weight as well, but Spacey really owns it. :)

I loved the first two seasons, this last one felt a bit over the top, but yeah, he's really a good actor.

Almost all the others are very good too.

Surprising exactly no one:

920x920.jpg

The actor said he doesn't know if survived but is not appearing in the next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rEvyOct7YE

Looks pretty dead to me. Though I heard rumours that the witch was intending this so that she can make John a super zombie or that John would get the zombie treatment like the Mountain. However, none of this is substantiated and the guy looks pretty darn dead to me. Maybe the poster is just teasing in the context of "previously on Game of Thrones"?

The witch knows how to resurrect people as normal (not as zombie), she can't do it herself but she knows who can (remember an episode in like season 2, someone resurrected a guy the Hound killed, and when asked he said he's been resurrected like 10 times or something).

Anyone watched Jessica Jones? I thought it was really well done, though I still think of DT as The Doctor!!

I've watched two episodes of Spider Woman/Jones so far, kind of light on action but enjoyable. Not the first villain I would have chosen for series one, but we'll see how it pans out.

Ive watched Misfits, first 3 seasons so far; first 2 were absolutely fantastic, every episode was entertaining; third season was meh overall; nathan left and probably the directors/writers were changed or something because all the season was a soap opera :(.

Actually I loved the third season too.
But 4th one is a disaster so I suggest to stop watching at the point where you're at. 5th is not that bad, but not mustwatch.

Anyone watching Childhood's End? I have to voice the same nerdy complaint about the show that I had about the book: the "red devil" iconography familiar to us today isn't something out of our ancient cultural memories at all -- historically speaking it's new.

The "devil" costume does include some older elements (from satyrs, Pan etc) but those in their own cultural context have a totally different meaning.

The idea of a bright red, cloven-hoofed, winged, horned figure as an image of supernatural evil is a few hundred years old at most.

Sorry it's not available yet on my SyFy. Probably airing in USA first and elsewhere after a few weeks. Not sure which "region" by SyFy I'm in, but just checked UK's schedule and it's not on it either:
http://www.syfy.co.uk/

Anyway, when it starts airing I'll give it a shot. Sounds interesting.

Not that it matters much, but EU is trying to pass a law against the idiotic stone age regions systems. For those who don't know, if one is Netflix subscriber in Sweeden, while on a vacation in, for example, Italy, cannot access Netflix (without VPN which is borderline illegal) - although both countries are in EU.
While I used streaming platform example, the same applies to any kind of aired video. Things get even worse when it's about continents and airing dates in different parts of the planet.

This cretinism should stop already. I want to be able to watch any show the same minute others can, and of course spit on discuss it without waiting for moths for a donkey that'll physically bring it somewhere on it's back.

Last edited:
Anyone watched Jessica Jones? I thought it was really well done, though I still think of DT as The Doctor!!

The fact that David Tennant is so likable really brought the creepy-crawlies to that character. If the story is a metaphor for abusive relationships as many people have written, the fact that we're predisposed to see Tennant as a good guy helps put us as viewers in the weird conflicted position of the people under Kilgrave's spell.

Anyone watching Childhood's End? I have to voice the same nerdy complaint about the show that I had about the book: the "red devil" iconography familiar to us today isn't something out of our ancient cultural memories at all -- historically speaking it's new.

The "devil" costume does include some older elements (from satyrs, Pan etc) but those in their own cultural context have a totally different meaning.

The idea of a bright red, cloven-hoofed, winged, horned figure as an image of supernatural evil is a few hundred years old at most.
Recorded, but not yet watched. Same for The Expanse.

Thanks dte, didn't hear about it before, so just watched The Expanse trailer.
Seems classic cheap SyFy rubbish about cutes, but saw some "not cute" faces known from other shows in the trailer so will give it a shot for a few episodes before I ditch it if it turns out to be another cutes vs noncutes dull idiocy like Killjoys.

Best TV Series I watched this year

True Detective s2
Narcos
Mr Robot
Kingdom (not the Last Kingdom, just Kingdom.. its about life of a MMA fighter)

GoT is now vastly overrated. 1-2 episodes per season are top notch, others are forgettable fillers

Thanks dte, didn't hear about it before, so just watched The Expanse trailer.
Seems classic cheap SyFy rubbish about cutes, but saw some "not cute" faces known from other shows in the trailer so will give it a shot for a few episodes before I ditch it if it turns out to be another cutes vs noncutes dull idiocy like Killjoys.

Im allergic to SyFy trash (like Dark Matter and Helix) but heard good things about that one … like that it improved a lot… cannot confirm though. Better watch those I posted above if you already didn't :)

Best TV Series I watched this year
True Detective s2
Narcos
Mr Robot
Kingdom (not the Last Kingdom, just Kingdom.. its about life of a MMA fighter)
GoT is now vastly overrated. 1-2 episodes per season are top notch, others are forgettable fillers
1. refused to watch s1 (casting), no logic to start from s2 then
2. neverheard
3. sorry, but IMO wasted talent of the main role actor on rubbish material
4. neverheard
5. disagree, books are overrated, series are way better

Those are the best? What happened with (random order):
1. Longmire s4
2. Orphan Black s3
3. Fargo s2
4. Marvel's Jessica Jones / Marvel's Agent Carter
5. How to Get Away with Murder
6. Bron/Broen s3
7. Engrenages s5 (I don't think it was available internationally before 2015.)
8. Penny Dreadful s2
9. Sense8
10. Wayward Pines

Im allergic to SyFy trash (like Dark Matter and Helix) but heard good things about that one … like that it improved a lot… cannot confirm though. Better watch those I posted above if you already didn't :)
Killjoys is definetly a disaster. Helix isn't actually since it covers the most important question - how to weed too many living people from the planet.
Dark Matter has a problem (assuming you don't care for supercheap production), it opened too many questions and leaving all unanswered in the final episode. But it's not crap.

Back
Top Bottom