Outward - Video Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Nathan NAPALM checked out Outward:

Outward : Why It's THE RPG For Me (And Many Others)

Outward is very NICHE, some are LOVING it and falling head over heels with it's systems, difficulty, seasons, combat and world, OTHERS hate it! I want to break down why it is the single player RPG of the decade for me, and explain why there is such a divide over this fantastic game!
More information.

RPG of the Decade indeed. It's up there. I'll say that the level of replayability in the game is the most I've ever seen in an RPG or otherwise. 3 unique factions with their own story, as well as choices within those faction questlines, as well as timed events within the faction as well as non-faction timed events, make the replayability extremely vast. Each faction has its true unique story and events. I'm playing in the Holy Order and already I botched several things due to time-based events and could replay this faction again and get a totally different experience. Times that by 3 and you see what I mean.

josxu61.png

The "Please Subscribe" song at the end is what got me to buy this game. ;)

This looks like the kind of game I would love to play.

How are the respawning mechanics here?

Is there a permadeath mode?

You always respawn, and so do nearly all of your enemies. ;)

This looks like the kind of game I would love to play.

How are the respawning mechanics here?

Is there a permadeath mode?

No permadeath, each time you get "knocked out" something semi-random happens. You might be rescued by a mercenary band, or kidnapped and enslaved by bandits. There are over 90 "death scenarios" that can happen.

Respawning is fine, it happens in certain spots, but sometimes weather conditions mean no respawns (in the winter time in Chersonese the animals don't spawn). Enemies are pretty spaced out as well. You can avoid all encounters by sprinting past them anyway, and it's even advised at the start to avoid most encounters as they will be too tough for you anyway. Once you do start managing to take down enemies you will gain valuable crafting materials from them. Here's a hint if you play - try to get strong enough to handle 2 bandits at a time, sometimes they drop very good armor and things you can use at the start of the game.

Last edited:
Are you kidding? This game has one of the best in-game soundtracks of any game I've played (if you like JRPG-ish, melodic and rhythmic music).

Well this is confusing. The guy who made this video also made a video called "Top 10 Immersive RPG's to PLAY RIGHT NOW!" and on that list he mentions both Divinity Original Sin and Divinity Original Sin 2, and yet just the other day on this site some guy was saying that the biggest problem with Divinity was that it wasn't immersive. I am so confused.

Played it for a few days and it's a solid game, but not RPG of the year or decade for me sorry. Basically if you like hardcore systems, less focus on story, and a realistic world the game will be enjoyable. As for me I prefer RPGs like Witcher III or Inquisition. Better yet I'll say PoE 1&2, Tyranny, and Original Sin II are my favorites. Tastes just differ is all.

Played it for a few days and it's a solid game, but not RPG of the year or decade for me sorry. Basically if you like hardcore systems, less focus on story, and a realistic world the game will be enjoyable. As for me I prefer RPGs like Witcher III or Inquisition. Better yet I'll say PoE 1&2, Tyranny, and Original Sin II are my favorites. Tastes just differ is all.

Not that I dislike those games (well I didn't like DOS2), but your post makes me think I will like Outward.

The Dark Souls comparison for combat has me bounced off a little but the hardcore vibe reminds of Gothic 2 and I love exploration more than story.

Not that I dislike those games (well I didn't like DOS2), but your post makes me think I will like Outward.

The Dark Souls comparison for combat has me bounced off a little but the hardcore vibe reminds of Gothic 2 and I love exploration more than story.

Just don't expect the exploration to be exactly the same. You can't jump, swim, or climb in Outward, so you're more restricted by natural barriers.

Yeah, it's more of a gameplay RPG than a story RPG. But don't get me wrong, it has story, just don't expect really fancy cutscenes or long diatribes here. The lore is pretty interesting too when you start to dig into it, but it does focus on gameplay slightly more than story. Slightly.

Well this is confusing. The guy who made this video also made a video called "Top 10 Immersive RPG's to PLAY RIGHT NOW!" and on that list he mentions both Divinity Original Sin and Divinity Original Sin 2, and yet just the other day on this site some guy was saying that the biggest problem with Divinity was that it wasn't immersive. I am so confused.

Token products. Ten were needed to shoot the vid.

Can you advance in solo play just as well or is the game designed for coop?

I don't believe it favors one way or the other. The game spawns additional enemies in co-op mode to compensate for the additional player, but afaik that's the only difference.

Solo play is fine. Enemies increase in strength in co-op mode, but singleplayer is what the game was designed for. It's a singleplayer RPG with a co-op feature.

I'm watching this gameplay ... skip .. skip .. skip.. while the video creator is praising the game and .... skip .,... how wonderful this whole thing is ... skip .
- Ahem... YYAAAAAAWWNN

I felt ZERO FCKN HYPE. Had to turn off videoplay.

Back
Top Bottom