Call of Cthulhu - Steam Page Up

It's still an RPG. Roleplaying games don't need combat, and I honestly wish more didn't.

I agree, but as others have stated if there is no combat, there needs to be other gameplay mechanics. Amnesia, which many are mentioning here, basically features running from the enemy, exploring small areas for items and using those items to solve puzzles. Those are classic adventure game mechanics. Most crpgs feature combat, exploration, character development, resource management and branching dialogue. Some also have crafting and skill minigames. One would hope things like branching dialogue, lockpicking and other such gameplay features make it in. I liked Amnesia for its atmosphere, but as far as gameplay goes, I much prefer crpgs, because most of them simply have a much wider variety of gameplay elements than other genres do.

As @Farflame; mentioned if you look at the video at 2:40 ish you can see some of the skills you can pick as you level up which include things like lock-picking.

I agree, but as others have stated if there is no combat, there needs to be other gameplay mechanics. Amnesia, which many are mentioning here, basically features running from the enemy, exploring small areas for items and using those items to solve puzzles. Those are classic adventure game mechanics. Most crpgs feature combat, exploration, character development, resource management and branching dialogue. Some also have crafting and skill minigames. One would hope things like branching dialogue, lockpicking and other such gameplay features make it in. I liked Amnesia for its atmosphere, but as far as gameplay goes, I much prefer crpgs, because most of them simply have a much wider variety of gameplay elements than other genres do.

One would hope things like branching dialogue

Regarding branching dialogues - yes, it is in CoC including social skills. And some topics should appear in dialogues only if you get to know something in game.

CoC was unique among PnP RPG's because there was no levelling up. You were basically level one the whole game. You can gain skills but barely. Our Keeper (its a Keeper in CoC not a dungeonmaster nor a gamemaster) played the skills as d100 so when we had a 12 in accounting or fasttalk we would inevitably fail. I tried to point out he was doing it wrong but he didn't know what I was talking about.

So the other guys in our group did things like tank up their players. My one buddy had a whole family of mobsters from CoC to Cthulhu Now fully equipped with tommy guns and weapons skills. He had another that was the track champion at Miskatonic U. The other guys played characters with attitudes that held some sort of attitude secret, and in our group politics somehow never had their characters killed off.

Me, I got my characters killed all the time - and it turns out that's how you are supposed to play the game. It was far more fun that way, things like finding out the mirror room caused that rare case of spontaneous human combustion or seeing Nyralthatep for the second time in the character's history and having to be committed for 2 years real time (again).

Gaining skill usually came at some cost too - like the One Ring. It usually meant loss of sanity or becoming one with the Mythos which you are trying to fight against.

So it could work, a non levelling CRPG that is actually an RPG and not an Adventure game. It would like playing against Epic level monsters with 1st level characters the whole campaign.

The thing is, though, that Cyanide has a pretty bad track record.

But I can't deny this looks very, very interesting. I can only hope it's better than most of their games.

The thing is, though, that Cyanide has a pretty bad track record.
Hmm I recall only one game I enjoyed from Cyanide/Spiders was Game of Thrones that was released a few years back, and even that was an average game at best.

Hmm I recall only one game I enjoyed from Cyanide was Game of Thrones that was released a few years back, and even that was an average game at best.

Yeah, I always seem to like the idea of their games more than the games themselves.

I honestly can't immediately recall a single game of theirs that I truly enjoyed, and they've put out quite a few IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom