Might & Magic rant - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Might & Magic rant

Default Might & Magic rant

August 21st, 2018, 11:52
Why does everyone bring up and praise MM6 and not MM7, which is clearly superior?

- Major gameplay improvements (most important being the class system and skills)
- Choices and branching narrative
- Great tutorial and opening hook
- Multiple races to choose from
- Less trash mobs polluting the map
- Better open world design
- Slightly polished graphics

The only thing better about MM6 is that it has a bigger world and dungeons. MM7
focused on quality > quantity and making enhancements to the gameplay and narrative. For Blood and Honor deserves the most praise, not Mandate of Heaven.
Copper Coin is offline

Copper Coin

Copper Coin's Avatar
Outspoken D&D critic

#1

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 11:55
I like both but I've played MM7 more so I guess there is some truth to what you are saying.
Silver is offline

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#2

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 8,699
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 11:57
Why is anyone praising MM6+ when MM3,4,5 where the better games (graphics, lore and probably gameplay wise)

MM6+7 where just considered good, because they came out in a time where crpgs where really sparse..
vidder is offline

vidder

Sentinel

#3

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 12:05
I don't think M&M 3-5 had better graphics. I get that some people liked the art style more for that era of M&M titles, but I personally prefer the more realistic style of M&M VI onwards. The lore and gameplay styles are likewise subjective.

As far as "everyone" preferring M&M 6 over 7, that simply isn't true.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 30,270
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 12:14
AFAIK, most people prefer MM7 and it is the first time I’ve heard anyone suggest otherwise.

Darth Tagnan

Guest

#5

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 12:15
Originally Posted by vidder View Post
Why is anyone praising MM6+ when MM3,4,5 where the better games (graphics, lore and probably gameplay wise)
I like MM3-MM5, but not nearly as much as MM7 or MM8. The gameplay is simpler, the narrative isn't as deep or engaging, and I prefer free movement over grid based.

The graphics are subjective, but I have nostalgia for low polygon 3D graphics. The soundtrack is also a major plus over 3-5. It's also cool how NPCs can move around and fight each other. It's always fun luring mobs into armed friendly NPCs.

MM6+7 where just considered good, because they came out in a time where crpgs where really sparse..
Disagreed. MM7 is one of the few pre-2000 games that I think has largely aged well.
Copper Coin is offline

Copper Coin

Copper Coin's Avatar
Outspoken D&D critic

#6

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 12:19
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
AFAIK, most people prefer MM7 and it is the first time I’ve heard anyone suggest otherwise.
Opposite experience. Whenever the series is brought up, it's usually praising either Mandate of Heaven or World of Xeen. Rarely ever MM7.

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph…-series-Forums

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index…-thread.42757/
Copper Coin is offline

Copper Coin

Copper Coin's Avatar
Outspoken D&D critic

#7

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 12:39
Originally Posted by Silver Coin View Post
Opposite experience. Whenever the series is brought up, it's usually praising either Mandate of Heaven or World of Xeen. Rarely ever MM7.

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph…-series-Forums

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index…-thread.42757/
As far as I can see, there's plenty of praise for both MM6 and MM7 in both threads.

While I must concede that people seem to prefer MM6 in those two places - MM7 ranks quite high as well.

If you check metacritic, for instance, they're exactly equal. If you check GOG - they're also exactly equal.

That said, I would have expected MM7 to have the slight edge - though I always considered them extremely close, much like MM4 and MM5.

So, I must say - based on your own evidence - you're very wrong to say MM6 is always the one being praised. Based on my evidence, you're even more wrong

Maybe you meant to say that MM6 is getting MORE praise, which is very different.

Based on my own personal experience - primarily from the Watch and a few friends - I've always heard MM7 being mentioned as being the better game, if only slightly.

I stopped playing them after MM6, so I don't really know. I tried MM7 and found it almost identical to MM6, so it's probably not that big a difference.

Darth Tagnan

Guest

#8

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 12:53
'Everyone' is an obvious exaggeration, but I shouldn't have to explain that to you.

Regardless, MM6 is more popular than MM7 with most players. This much is true.

Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
I stopped playing them after MM6, so I don't really know. I tried MM7 and found it almost identical to MM6, so it's probably not that big a difference.
It's not radically different from MM6, but it improves upon it in nearly every way.
Copper Coin is offline

Copper Coin

Copper Coin's Avatar
Outspoken D&D critic

#9

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 13:26
The simple answer would be that the story of M&M6 was far superior than M&M7. It was connected to what was going on in the HoMM series. I enjoyed M&M6 more but I can see the improvements made with seven.

My favorite M&M is M&M2. All you damn kids get off my lawn with your late 1990's games. The 80's is where it was at
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."
Hastar is offline

Hastar

Hastar's Avatar
Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

#10

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wolf Light Woods
Posts: 2,340
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 13:31
@Silver Coin

In this case, it's certainly quite an exaggeration seeing as how so many name MM7 as the best in the series based on your very own evidence - but, no, you don't have to explain that's how you like to communicate when you make your points. That much has been clear for a while

As for your fantasy of knowing what's actually true for "most players" even after I've presented evidence that they're really rather close - that certainly tells me something about how reliable you are, as a person, when making supposedly factual claims.

Such things are valuable for the future, when deciding how much faith we should have in your bold claims.

Darth Tagnan

Guest

#11

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 13:56
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
In this case, it's certainly quite an exaggeration seeing as how so many name MM7 as the best in the series based on your very own evidence
One of the polls I showed had MM6 well above MM7, so I don't see your point.

Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
The simple answer would be that the story of M&M6 was far superior than M&M7. It was connected to what was going on in the HoMM series.
I strongly disagree with that. MM7 had choices and branching paths. The idea of the scavenger hunt, rebuilding a castle, and being caught in the middle of a war and deciding the outcome are novel concepts. MM6 had a more traditional story for its time.
Copper Coin is offline

Copper Coin

Copper Coin's Avatar
Outspoken D&D critic

#12

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 14:23
Originally Posted by Silver Coin View Post
One of the polls I showed had MM6 well above MM7, so I don't see your point.
The point is that Apple making more money than Amazon doesn't mean Amazon doesn't make money.

It's not exactly rocket science. Your "exaggeration" was that EVERYONE praises MM6 and NO ONE praises MM7.

Here:

Why does everyone bring up and praise MM6 and not MM7, which is clearly superior?

I will refrain from commenting on your "obviously" superior remark, as that's even more counter to what your evidence would suggest.

I pointed out that even according to your own evidence - there's a rather substantial amount of people who name it THE BEST game in the series. In fact, in one of your polls it was relatively close and ranking second out of all games. As I also pointed out, they're ranked exactly equal on Metacritic (8.8/10) and on GOG (4.5/10).

Again, what you really meant to say is that MM6 SEEMS to be getting MORE praise, which is a completely different thing and something that's much easier to talk about, as it doesn't obviously conflict with reality.

But, to you, such a completely different thing is obviously just an exaggeration. It's a minor thing that it's completely different.

So, you're probably annoyed or insulted because that's how you react when people point out that what you're saying is clearly factually wrong, because people really should understand that you never really mean what you say - but something that's quite different from what you're saying.

But you must understand that I don't take sides in these matters. I agree with you on many occasions.

If I do take a side, it's the side of reason and truth - as far as such things can be established.

So, I can only suggest that you take more care in how you phrase your observations and claims - or you'll be facing a very frustrating line of communication with a lot of people.

Surely, you must have noticed by now that people are keen to point these things out for you. Maybe they're not all idiots or "toxic"? Maybe you really do have a bad habit of stating things in black and white terms? Maybe a little more nuance is in order - and might even help you understand the world better?

Darth Tagnan

Guest

#13

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 14:24
M&M 6 had superior dungeons. The only thing I missed, in comparison with 7, was the expanded race options.
Drithius is offline

Drithius

Drithius's Avatar
Laughing Gnome

#14

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 5,282
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 14:28
I would definitely agree with Drithius on the sixth game having the better dungeons. Having said that, I love both of them almost equally and find myself replaying each usually every second year or so. These are the kind of games that literally never get too old for me, and still work quite well on newer computers.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 12,823
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 14:33
God… This is like analyzing stone age tools and deciding which one was superior.

At certain time those were awsome games. Today, no kid would even look at them. Rant all day you want, but the problem is not with kids.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#16

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,175
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 15:27
What an obnoxious ass! I shouldn't of unblocked him.

MM6 had bigger dungeons, but I don't know if they were necessarily better. There were so many of them that they ended up feeling quite sloggish to get through.
Copper Coin is offline

Copper Coin

Copper Coin's Avatar
Outspoken D&D critic

#17

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 15:36
At the end of the day, you play them both. There's so few blobbers made these days that you're not exactly inundated with a luxury of choice. They each have their pros and cons.
Drithius is offline

Drithius

Drithius's Avatar
Laughing Gnome

#18

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 5,282
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 15:58
Yeah, my ideal blobber doesn't exist yet. At this rate it probably never will.
Copper Coin is offline

Copper Coin

Copper Coin's Avatar
Outspoken D&D critic

#19

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

August 21st, 2018, 16:55
Originally Posted by Silver Coin View Post
Yeah, my ideal blobber doesn't exist yet. At this rate it probably never will.
MMX worked pretty well, idk why they won´t continue on that… This whole genre needs a reboot.
vidder is offline

vidder

Sentinel

#20

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Might & Magic rant
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:49.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch