What are you reading?

Hurls-a couple of standouts for me this year have been:
the 1st 15 lives of Harry August - Claire North
A spot of bother - Mark Haddon
1000 autumns of jacob de zoet - David Mitchell (also bone clocks)
Miss Peregrines perculier children series - Rason Riggs
the midnight zoo - Sonya Harnett (also golden boys)
happy reading

Ready Player One. Yep, one giant geekfest. The first 20% were OKish and I thought it was only all about name dropping, but then I was completely hooked. Can't wait for the movie and with Spielberg it's in good hands IMHO.

I finished reading The Last Days of Magic by Mark Thompkins about a week ago. This was a really enjoyable story, mixing a great deal of fact and fiction about Ireland, the UK, and the Vatican all together to make one heck of a tale. I'm assuming there will be more books to come after this one, just because of how it ended, and I will be buying them the moment they are released.

Read 1984. Quite disturbing.

Started reading Fyodor Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment, but soon found out that I'm not in the mood for it currently and that I need a regular Fantasy or Sci-Fi fix, so with Stellaris having come out recently I decided to go with Iain M. Banks Look to Windward, his seventh Culture novel.

I just finished The Dressmaker by Rosalie Ham, perhaps not a book I would normally read. I tried reading The Crow Girl, could not get into it, much too disturbing for my taste. The Dressmaker was just a random option to disinfect my brain. Turned out to be a pretty good read. Quirky, Australian black comedy. Worth it. Taught me something about fabrics!

After my Stephen King stint, I'm taking a break and reading the Martian, by Andy Weir, now.

Started book one of the Powder mage series, I'm about halfway through and really enjoying it. I'll be reading the rest of these for sure, and probably checking out what other works the author might have available.

Started book one of the Powder mage series, I'm about halfway through and really enjoying it. I'll be reading the rest of these for sure, and probably checking out what other works the author might have available.

Enjoy.Powder mage is one of my favorite series

Past few months I read lot more than I played game so I finished ton of book since last time I was active here are just those I found great:

Red knight-Miles Cameron:Excellent military fantasy book and great start to series.

City of stairs-Robert Jackson Bennett:Unusual Steampunk-ish book

Killer of men-Cristian Cameron (same author as Red knight just different pen name):First book in Long War the series set during Greco-Persian Wars

Forever War-Joe Haldeman:This is considered classic for a reason

City of saints and madmen-Jeff VanderMeer: Several stories set in steampunk city Ambergris

Black sun rising-C.S. Friedman: Science fantasy book set on planet which is shaped by it's inhabitants thoughts both conscious and unconscious

Planetfall - Emma Newman

Tolkien's translation of Beowulf.

I don't post here much because I read a couple hundred books a year (Kindle Unlimited) and would dominate the thread. However, this series fits our site in a couple ways so I thought I'd advertise it.

The series is called the War of the Broken Mirror. It is written by Andrew Rowe of Obsidian Infamy :) This is a very well told series with a deep magic system where most sentient creatures can use one or more types of magic. The book is like a role-playing game in that you have a large party of characters that go on various adventures together; crossing each others paths throughout the books. There are two books released at this time and I'm not done with the second one yet.

http://smile.amazon.com/Andrew-Rowe/e/B00TKVOI3A/ref=dp_byline_cont_pop_ebooks_1

Just started The Bands of Mourning by Brandon Sanderson. It's the 6th Mistborn novel.

Just started a book called the Medusa chronicles. An impulse buy, never read up on it or heard of it before.

Finished the powder mage series, it was quite good. I think he'll have more books coming out in the future that continue the story, and I'll be reading them for sure.

I have wanted to read a Michel Faber book for some time. I choose The Crimson Petal and the White. A novel set in Victorian England about a prostitute trying to find a better life. Wow, what a read. Long and engaging. This author is like David Mitchell, effortlessy spaning different genres. I will read more of his. Although on a sad note-since his wife succumbed to cancer, he has stated he will not write again.

Back
Top Bottom