Elder Scrolls Online - No MMO?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PCGamesN reports that Zenimax don't call The Elder Scrolls Online an MMO anymore:

Why Zenimax don't call The Elder Scrolls Online an MMO anymore

If there was an underlying problem with The Elder Scrolls Online at launch, it was perhaps too online. Along with that anachronistic name, it took on the traditions of the ‘90s MMORPG and muffled some of the best traits of Bethesda games: a sense of place and permanence.

In the years since, however, developers Zenimax Online Studios have worked consistently to shed the strictures of their parent genre.

“We don’t even use the term MMO with The Elder Scrolls Online anymore, because really it’s not,” game director Matt Firor says. “MMO was a term coined in 1997 with Ultima Online, EverQuest, and Dark Age of Camelot – we are not that game.”

Zenimax dedicated their first 12 months after launch to making the game “feel more like The Elder Scrolls.” They wound up with a world more tactile and reactive – where the thing you touch might be an NPC’s purse, and the reaction might be a cold sword through the guts, courtesy of a player enforcer in Zenimax’s justice system.

[...]
More information.

I blame joxer,, he keep on calling not!MMO MMO and that confused developers so they don't have any idea what they are making anymore... ;)

By the way, that's super old news, Frior started to say that last year before One Tamriel released. It's just marketing though...a failed marketing strategy, everyone call ESO a MMO, lol.

and the reaction might be a cold sword through the guts, courtesy of a player enforcer in Zenimax’s justice system.

That doesn't exist in the game as far as I know...

Newer news is that now you can have a Dwemer horse:
vviwkfI.jpg

Why would you want a Dwemer horse when you can have a normal one I have no idea but Happy Days Are Here Again!

yeah, iIwas always wondering what bright spark come up with that idea...

Is that for real? That horse actually looks kinda cool.

Yup, after making any kinda of beasts big enough to be used as a mount a mount, they moved to make not!living type mounts in the same shape.

The Dwemer ones are the latest.

“We don’t even use the term MMO with The Elder Scrolls Online anymore, because really it’s not,” game director Matt Firor

Highly amusing piece of PR by the ever-clueless Firor. These cute but desperate attempts of course won't save the project. From its 2007 beginnings it was obvious this was another failure just waiting to happen. It was painful watching them waste the first 5 or 6 years on bubble-development, in the meantime getting utterly outclassed by concurrent titles in marketing, while burning through the budget of a sizeable African nation. How could they ever conceivably think an MMO of this scale will ever turn a profit should be scrutinously studied at computer game design courses.

If one day they make an offline mode for the game then I stop calling it MMO. Util then it's an MMO.

Yeah, it's just an MMO you can't, you know, play with friends or anything - just whatever randos you happen to be sharing server space with at the moment. It's so fun, I know when I play MMOs I like to get together with complete strangers that I'll probably never see again.

/sarcasm ;)

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Yup, after making any kinda of beasts big enough to be used as a mount a mount, they moved to make not!living type mounts in the same shape.

The Dwemer ones are the latest.

Kudos to the art team on that one. Never thought I'd see a Dwemer horse. :)

Yeah, it's just an MMO you can't, you know, play with friends or anything - just whatever randos you happen to be sharing server space with at the moment. It's so fun, I know when I play MMOs I like to get together with complete strangers that I'll probably never see again.

/sarcasm ;)

I thought that was the whole point of MMO - you know, going for a raid or dungeon with whole bunch of strangers you never utter a words with (apart from occassional insult hurling) ;)

/sarcasm

It's a pretty good game. My biggest issue is that they removed (almost) all level scaling. So you can go just about anywhere at any time and kill monsters. There are exceptions to this, and you become more gear dependent when you get high level, but I miss the scariness of wondering what's around the next corner. Plus, there's almost no penalty for dying (which is like single player CRPGs I guess).

The Dwemer dungeons I've seen in this game are great. The Dwemer monsters are very cool. They do a nice job of making "dungeons" in this game more like a mini area. There's often a neutral zone with a story going on outside, then things get dangerous as you move in. Much better than Oblivion's door on the side of a hill thing.

Newer news is that now you can have a Dwemer horse:
vviwkfI.jpg

Why would you want a Dwemer horse when you can have a normal one I have no idea but Happy Days Are Here Again!

So now the horses come with their own armor ? Nice, one less DLC….. :p :p

“We don’t even use the term MMO with The Elder Scrolls Online anymore, because really it’s not,” game director Matt Firor says. “MMO was a term coined in 1997 with Ultima Online, EverQuest, and Dark Age of Camelot – we are not that game.”

We are not that game? Um... ok?

I thought that was the whole point of MMO - you know, going for a raid or dungeon with whole bunch of strangers you never utter a words with (apart from occassional insult hurling) ;)

/sarcasm

Not for me. I prefer playing with friends or guildmates that I also know irl. I've been playing MMOs for around 20 years now starting with the original EQ; by this time I know I prefer playing with those I know (like my partner and rl friends) than internet randos.

If you like randos, nothing against randos there. I got ESO to play with my wife and that was impossible despite her sitting at a PC next to me playing the same game, same location. It's not very good at being an MMO if I can't play it with multiple people I choose, instead of just multiple people the game chooses for me. In my humble opinion, I mean, there's apparently a market for ESO since they're doing a'ight.

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Back
Top Bottom