Divinity: Original Sin II - Breaks CRPG records

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PCGamesN reports that Divinity: Original Sin 2 is breaking genre records for the most concurrent players on Steam.

It seems that records are being broken all over the world of PC gaming as of late, and no industry analyst could have predicted who'd be breaking them. Today's trailblazers are Larian Studios - the independent and crowdfunded Belgian crew - who have every reason to celebrate this weekend as Divinity: Original Sin 2 saw one of the strongest launches of any classic RPG on Steam.

While sales figures from SteamSpy are always to be taken with a liberal pinch of seasoning, it's safe enough to say that approximately 300,000 people own the game on Steam, although many (43k, give or take) are Kickstarter backers. What is a more relevant metric of launch success is concurrent players, and the game clocked in at just over 75,000 players last night. While dwarfed by competitive juggernauts such as PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, that still placed it as the 4th most active game on Steam at the time.

[...]
More information.

It was always appreciated, but mainstream media pushed games for low IQ audience.

Things changed, RPG is the new in - you saw Ubi falesly advertising a MMO as RPG and when it failed they turned their environment puzzler franchise new entry into actual RPG. After a decade of nonRPG imbecillism, people want RPG now more than ever and publishers are aware of that.

Mainstream media however now pushes microtransaction scamware MMOs.

Looks still to me as if there had been a drought of *real* non-action role-playing games - which Larian fills up now (and all the bigger names in the industry didn't, just because of "no action").

Seems like very good success, so far. This makes me wonder how many sales that Divinity Original Sin had, and if they think this game might surpass those sale numbers.

Impressive. 75,000 concurrent players on Steam! Meanwhile current level of concurrent hourly players reported by Steamspy have now reached nearly 82,000. And as pointed out in subject article, these stats don't even take into account sales and players of GOG version.

Looks like Divinity: Original Sin II is a great success in catching and maintaining player interest and involvement. Guess I'll be trying it out sooner rather than later.

__

This makes me wonder how many sales that Divinity Original Sin had, and if they think this game might surpass those sale numbers.
D:OS1 has 1.41M owners on Steam according to SteamSpy...
It was also released on GoG and console though.

Way to go Larian! Who said that cRPG don't make money or audience?

I wish for the cRPG game segment to grow and create more and better games. I never played D:OS 2, but I finished the first. The first is a good true turn-based cRPG, but there still room for improvement :)

Now why can't obsedian and bethesda make games of this quality point AND without a gazillion dlc (bethesda). both Larian and cdprojek have really stepped up to the plate and both are finding success with quality. Actually I also like Harbringer and Xile (though xile games need a touch more cleaning and Harb needs a bit more sophistication).

That's a pretty big shock! It's starting to approach Skyrim's opening numbers! (Though Skyrim still got over 25K today, almost six years after release. Talk about staying power!)

The new Death of the Outsider expansion got just 5,746 which is actually a little behind D:OS 1. That is NOT a good sign.

A small part of me hope that Larian don't make too much money on this one because I can't wait to get more videos from Swen for their next kickstarter!

A small part of me hope that Larian don't make too much money on this one because I can't wait to get more videos from Swen for their next kickstarter!

I think Swen will continue to go to Kickstarter purely so he can stay in touch with what the audience wants out of an rpg. It is a great community building tool.

Their kickstarter videos are indeed fun to watch. Plus its always a pure joy to hear the update song which combined with their pure uplifting energy always manages to put me on a good mood. :)

So nice to see such an amazing rpg becoming such a hit. What a game changer. The future of their studio is likely secured for a moment atleast.

Congrats, Larian. I'm certainly enjoying your game. I've had a couple of hard fights that were fun to replay and eventually win.

If this does well enough, we might be looking at incoming AAA dumbed-down, awesome button, (with microtransactions) versions soon!

Bought a copy and am enjoying it.

I'm not really a fan of whimsy in my RPG's, I prefer them a bit grittier but it's all done with a deft touch such that I'm not minding.

Also, the battles can be challenging and remind me of Dragon Age Origins - before EA nerfed that series.

Hopefully I can make this game stretch to Elex]s release date.

Considering how much innovation they put into these two games it is great news that it is so well received. I just hope they don't go all crazy now and overreach with their next game.

Back
Top Bottom