Disco Elysium - Preview @ Indian Noob

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
IndianNoob checked out Disco Elysium and are positive about the game.

It's not possible to say if Disco Elysium is going to re-invent the RPG genre with just the 15 hours I spent in the preview version. But what I can say is that it is a massive game made with lots of love and care. The sheer amount of brilliant writing and creativity in Disco Elysium is seldom present in any other game in the genre. It's a thinking and reading man's RPG that continues to reduce the gap between PnP RPGs and VRPGs. It's a very ambitious and experimental game that's not going to be everyone's cup of Masala Chai. The lack of traditional combat, text-heavy gameplay and slow pace might turn casual players away. Truth be told, I haven't been this impressed with the narrative of an RPG since Torment. Hopefully, the rest of the game continues to keep up and polish this excellent formula. Expect a full review once the game launches on October 15.
More information.

There is no combat at all?

So,it looks to me that it is essentially text-based combat, with some animations on the map. Personally, I'm fine with this, if it turns out as compelling as I found the text-based combat in NEO Scavenger.

So,it looks to me that it is essentially text-based combat, with some animations on the map. Personally, I'm fine with this, if it turns out as compelling as I found the text-based combat in NEO Scavenger.

I didn't run into combat in the preview build but judging by the animations associated with other actions, I believe the combat won't disappoint.

Back
Top Bottom