Spiderweb Software - All Games on Sale

Own every game already just waiting for him to release Queen's Wish: The Conqueror.

Is it known if they'll use a new engine somewhen?

From what I remember Queen's Wish: The Conqueror is just using an updated engine with new art assets. It looks better and worse then Avadon at the same time.

Anyway doubt he will ever use a new engine as he was asked before in a past Panel at GDC. His answer was he invested money in a new engine in the past and it backfired.

Last edited:
Me too, although i wish he made a better looking UI/game
Me to but like I said above he thinks it's not worth the money and risk again.

Here was the panel from a few years back.

Avadon and it's sequels in my humble opinion.

I have a particular fondness for Nethergate, as it was my very first Spiderweb game. I own them all now, most through great old games, and honestly you cannot go wrong with any of them.

If you are going to buy just one spiderweb game which game would it be that you would buy ?

Avernum: escape from the pit. Awesome game, awesome world, awesome setup. I enjoyed the other two (remake remakes) but that one was prertty special for me in a way that the other sequels didn't quite capture.

Avernum: escape from the pit. Awesome game, awesome world, awesome setup. I enjoyed the other two (remake remakes) but that one was prertty special for me in a way that the other sequels didn't quite capture.
Well I'd agree but I didn't like them as much due to how movement works. You move your character and the world moves and stops with you. Just a minor nitpick though.

Hum so one vote for Avadon which is the newer system and one for Avernum: Escape from the pit remake. Hum….
Avernum: Escape from the Pit is actually newer than Avadon 1, and uses the same engine.

I'd be inclined to go with Pongo's choice - Avernum: Escape from the Pit was my first Spiderweb adventure and certainly one of my favourites. It's got the open world party-based gameplay with an Ultima 4-5 flavor with the ship exploration. Lots of great dungeon crawling and returning to encounters when you're stronger to take vengeance after taking a beating the first time. :)

On the other hand, go for Avadon if you want something slightly more linear, more character and story based. It's more BioWare-lite in a sense and is perhaps a little easier combat wise.

I'll let someone else extol the virtues of Geneforge; as that's a popular title as well, but is something I'm yet to play.

If you are going to buy just one spiderweb game which game would it be that you would buy ?

I second Nethergate. A real underdog.

Also, I highly recommend Geneforge 1. A superb series overall.

Both games are a bit different from the norm, but that's the point.

Nethergate:
+ an asymmetric campaign, essentially two games in one.
+ the history-meets-magic story is really very well done.
+/- very archaic UI (ugly but very fast gameplay!!!)
- occasionally very hard due to imbalances and design choices

Geneforge 1:
+ original premise (create your party on the fly!)
+ great story with lots of choices and consequences
- super-ugly looks (even by Spiderweb standards)
- occasionally very hard due to imbalances and design choices

Back
Top Bottom