System Shock - Returning to Vision

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new update on the System Shock Remake announces a return to the original concept.

Sometimes You Need To Take a Step Back In Order To Take Two Steps Forward

Kickstarter Update from Stephen Kick, CEO of Nightdive Studios In March of 2016, Nightdive Studios released our video of our vision of System Shock Remastered. Done in Unity it was an immediate hit with almost a half million views on YouTube. In June of 2016 we launched a Kickstarter campaign to make the vision into a reality. It was tremendously successful with over 21,000 backers contributing over $1.3 million to the campaign. We put together a development team and began working on the game. But along the way something happened.

Maybe we were too successful. Maybe we lost our focus. The vision began to change. We moved from a Remaster to a completely new game. We shifted engines from Unity to Unreal, a choice that we don’t regret and one that has worked out for us. With the switch we began envisioning doing more, but straying from the core concepts of the original title.

As our concept grew and as our team changed, so did the scope of what we were doing and with that the budget for the game. As the budget grew, we began a long series of conversations with potential publishing partners. The more that we worked on the game, the more that we wanted to do, and the further we got from the original concepts that made System Shock so great.

Ultimately the responsibility for the decisions rests with me. As the CEO and founder of Nightdive Studios, a company that was built on the restoration of the System Shock franchise, I let things get out of control. I can tell you that I did it for all the right reasons, that I was totally committed to making a great game, but it has become clear to me that we took the wrong path, that we turned our backs on the very people who made this possible, our Kickstarter backers.

I have put the team on a hiatus while we reassess our path so that we can return to our vision. We are taking a break, but NOT ending the project. Please accept my personal assurance that we will be back and stronger than ever. System Shock is going to be completed and all of our promises fulfilled.

Stephen Kick
More information.

I don't like his words, they bring a negative charge, something terribly ominous… :(

Kickstarter comments (below the "update text" in the link provided above by Silver) are filling with a mix of fear, anger, sadness, you know, the dark side of the Force…

I really don't like what I read. :bigcry: Stephen Kick kicked the bucket (yes pun intended, of course. With a surname like that….)

This February update is waaaay too different from the last one (January/2018). Only a month has passed and the project is going to limbo????

Allow me to use a Brazilian expression here: puta que pariu, Nightdive!!!!! What the f@ck you just did?????

A poster by the name Andrew Magowan wrote in the KS comments section: "(…) We have gone from a release date of December 2017 to second quarter 2018 to “ummm we lost focus”."

And there goes my hopes and my funding money. At this point I'm too angry, too pissed off to think about refunding…

Last edited:
The title “Returning to vision“ is way too optimistic. “On hold“ would be the better term. My guess would be “dead“ though. It looks like the money is gone and a lot of work to do. Who would give funding to a team that apparently is not able to get the project management part done?

In March of 2016, Nightdive Studios released our video of our vision of System Shock Remastered. Done in Unity it was an immediate hit with almost a half million views on YouTube.

Roll out Unreal, generic space fare visuals, backers start questioning what's going on...

Drip feed the updates, I'll be sorry if it does implode but I'm kinda glad I dodged that bullet if it actually does. Sad face indeed.

I think it is obvious; they got a chunk of money - became overly excited and expanded to an unrealistic scope. Now they spent all the $$ and have to figure out how they can continue.

The only said thing here is they should have known better; or one would have thought they would have known better given their resume.

?

Allow me to use a Brazilian expression here: puta que pariu, Nightdive!!!!! What the f@ck you just did?????

Scope creep strikes again. At least I didn't back this one; not really my type of game.

As much as a hate to say it, all of these problems with major Kickstarter games are kind of vindicating some aspects of the standard publisher model. Many of these game developers have a great vision and lots of talent, but no discipline. Scope creep can balloon a budget very quickly when the developers get carried away with their creative vision and do not have any cracking the whip on them and bringing them down to reality.

Last edited:
I actually think this is good news. Alot of projects when they get off track will not right the ship but just release what they have.

One of the worst problems for KS is the 'stretch goal' section. Most devs feel like they have to put stuff there, they're like "well, if we get there we'll worry about it then" or something. The original project is throughly thought of and usually already has a work in progress that can be shown, but the stretch goals are just things that sound cool but when they sit down to do them, that's when the shit hits the fan.

One of the worst problems for KS is the 'stretch goal' section. Most devs feel like they have to put stuff there, they're like "well, if we get there we'll worry about it then" or something. The original project is throughly thought of and usually already has a work in progress that can be shown, but the stretch goals are just things that sound cool but when they sit down to do them, that's when the shit hits the fan.

It could also be a case of advertising getting out of hand. "Their Kickstarter promised stretch goals so now we have to, too." Then it started snowballing to the point that now you can't have a Kickstarter campaign without stretch goals, tiers and all these bells and whistles.

As much as a hate to say it, all of these problems with major Kickstarter games are kind of vindicating some aspects of the standard publisher model. Many of these game developers have a great vision and lots of talent, but no discipline. Scope creep can balloon a budget very quickly when the developers get carried away with their creative vision and do not have any cracking the whip on them and bringing them down to reality.

I don't know if it's cracking the whip that they need or if it's more of a money issue. The Kickstarter budgets overall are much smaller than traditional publisher deals so naturally the games are going to be less polished and slick. The problem comes when they have to overpromise in order to hype their campaigns to secure the funding to make the game in the first place and then yeah, shit hits the fan when they have to actually put it together.

Dunno what the solution is, but a good start would be toning down the campaigns and doing away with stretch goals. Or at least de-emphasizing them considerably, because it's all about perception. People will forget all the goals you hit but remember one or two that had to be cut.

Hmmm... kickstarters developers change direction mid-stream... over-estimate and under-deliver... leave project in development limbo... Yep, this all sounds very familiar! Haven't backed a kickstarter game in a few years now and here's why.

If you ask me, the amount of good Kickstarter has done for gaming far outweighs the few failed projects.

Hopefully this is just a general overreaction. Perhaps they needed a break because they were starting to feel burned out.

Sometimes you to need stop for a bit so you can take a step back and look at what you're doing from a fresher perspective.

If the issue is purely financial, then they need to start talking to publishers.

Hmmm… kickstarters developers change direction mid-stream… over-estimate and under-deliver… leave project in development limbo… Yep, this all sounds very familiar! Haven't backed a kickstarter game in a few years now and here's why.

True that. I'm so pissed about this right now. It seems as if all my money has gone down the drain due to Stephen Kick's ineptitude. Just some weeks back there was an KS update about the game's progress and now out of the blue the project is on hiatus?!! WTH! If there is any way to sue this management, I want to sign up. As would many other backers.

I believe this expression has its fellow in every language. :)

Managing a project this size is a big deal, and what happened here is an object lesson to anyone raising funds on Kickstarter. They should've stuck to their minimum viable product, though through unrealistic stretch goals perhaps they destroyed that target before they had a chance.

I was hoping to play this game since I never played original SS (and I don't feel like it to play it now with those graphics) but I didn't back the KS so at least I didn't lose any $.

They said they were talking to publishers and not finding much in the way of funding.

Hopefully this is just a general overreaction. Perhaps they needed a break because they were starting to feel burned out.

Sometimes you to need stop for a bit so you can take a step back and look at what you're doing from a fresher perspective.

If the issue is purely financial, then they need to start talking to publishers.

Back
Top Bottom