Darkness over Daggerford - Re-released for $9.99

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Seems the trend of re-releasing old mods for money continues for the NWN:E Edition.

Link - http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/06/neverwinter-nights-darkness-over.html
[FONT=&quot]
Fortunately, over a decade later, Beamdog offered us the opportunity to release an enhanced version of Darkness over Daggerford as an official Neverwinter premium module. This remastered game has all we had aspired to have for an official Neverwinter Nights product, including new art and audio, and most importantly it incorporates a huge amount of improvements and fixes based on fan feedback and critiques of the original. We really are thrilled to release this definitive version of Darkness over Daggerford and hope fans enjoy playing it!”
[/FONT]

Well I don't know what has changed but the original was very good.
Enhanced graphics, new audio, and other small fixes, but it's still the same mod.

I love them local folks at Beamdog, but I surely wish they'd finally get around to creating something original and entirely theirs.

With that being said, since I've not ever played this content, I'm sure I'll be picking it up at some point!

To be fair (I hope) Ossian is getting a chunk of the coins in this case. For the record they created the mod and it was suppose to be a paid mod but they never got paid because of something or other that prevented paid mods (i don't remember the details but i'm sure It Google remembers) so they gave it away for free.

I love them local folks at Beamdog, but I surely wish they'd finally get around to creating something original and entirely theirs.

With that being said, since I've not ever played this content, I'm sure I'll be picking it up at some point!

I know that from your first post but i don't know exactly what changed :)
I did post what was changed in the enhanced mod. It does not have any new quests or other editions except what I posted above. Here is the only Steam review so far.
This was a surprise, and a truly great one at that.

No offense to the other "Premium" modules, but Darkness Over Dggerford really makes them look amatureish by comparison. The level of detail, polish, and sheer scope of it is something to remember, easily among NwN's greatest showcases of content. Other than some voice acting, they really had nothing to offer by comparison.

And that's just the original release.

So far, this "Enhanced" edition has been pretty spot on. The new art is a welcomed improvement, the new music, and the voice acting is good - better than much of what the original campaigns offered. My only criticism at this stage is that it's not as complete as it ought to be. Some of the voice acted lines stop long before the text does, which makes for a jarring experience.

That said, I haven't seen much beyond Daggerford itself yet, but I look forward to it. Hopefully it will be clear just how much polish this Uncanceled Premium Module really has behind it - after playing through the original at least half a dozen times, I really hope it lives up to the "enhanced" modifier all the way through.

At the very least, those three cackling NPCs in the sewers no longer all have the same exact voice sets, which made their identical laughs really awkward back in the day… A minor detail, but it makes me happy.
To be fair (I hope) Ossian is getting a chunk of the coins in this case. .
I hope they can finally make a proper RPG as they always planed, and not just phone games , and mods. Maybe they finally port their last RPG to the PC finally also.
For the record they created the mod and it was suppose to be a paid mod but they never got paid because of something or other that prevented paid mods (i don't remember the details but i'm sure It Google remembers) so they gave it away for free
Atari and Hasbro cancelled the premium mod program as it was a disaster. I remember interviewing the modders about what happened behind the scenes of the program.

They had to remove content and other things just to make Hasbro and Atari happy.

I recall they were supposed to be working on an original RPG, but Beamdog hasn't announced anything in a while about it.

A few veterans from BioWare were supposed to to be working on it also.

Yeah, I remember hearing a few hints about some secret endeavour last year, then it all went radio silent. I might need to pop over there at some point and rattle a cage or three.

Yeah I bought the DoD expanded edition. According to Beamdog:

- An expansion-size adventure with 25+ hours of gameplay
- Use the world map to venture across fifteen areas along the Sword Coast, each brimming with unique adventures
- Establish and customize your stronghold to discover new quests
- 12 new music tracks
- 12 new character portraits
- New voice over for main characters
- Nearly 500 gameplay improvements over the original!

Not sure what the "500 gameplay improvements" are but I haven't playes the original mod and I'm happy to support this.

In relation to the new Beamdog game, which I'd also like to see, I think David Gaider leaving can only be a bad sign. Hopefully they're still working on something though.

Darkness has settled over Edmonton.

Upfront $9.99 seems a bit excessive but I suppose the amount of content justifies it in the end.

This is the part where I have to remind everyone that Beamdog was founded by former Bioware guys. :)

Still, I get what you're saying. At least they did Siege of Dragonspear.

The first time I visited, I made a crack about their point of "Origin". Not one person smiled, and I took the hint. Beer and pizza were better appreciated, and I kept my jokes to meself.

If anyone is interested in back story, I was one of the lead writers for Ossian on the project back in the day. I can answer questions if there's any lingering curiosity. One thing I can say is that the enhanced version plays very well and the new voiceovers enhance the experience a great deal. This is from someone who probably played through the critical path of the game umpteen times back in the day. Alan Miranda and team definitely put in the time with this update. The new soundtrack sounds spiffy as well.

Are you working on new modules for nwn-ee of dod quality ?

If anyone is interested in back story, I was one of the lead writers for Ossian on the project back in the day. I can answer questions if there's any lingering curiosity. One thing I can say is that the enhanced version plays very well and the new voiceovers enhance the experience a great deal. This is from someone who probably played through the critical path of the game umpteen times back in the day. Alan Miranda and team definitely put in the time with this update. The new soundtrack sounds spiffy as well.

I'm sure it's a nice module, and I'm not one of the Beamdog bashers, but I do think the price for the 16-year old game plus DLCs is ridiculous, and now $9.99 for a formerly free 12 year-old module? Not for me, I'm afraid.

Are you working on new modules for nwn-ee of dod quality ?

No, but it sounds like Ossian is looking to do just that, if sales of these premium mods are good enough to justify. Daggerford was my last involvement with Ossian, as I chose to focus more on my day-job at the time. However, Alan always had access to a good pool of NWN talent and I'm sure still does.

Back
Top Bottom