Xbox One v PS4 - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Xbox One v PS4

Default Xbox One v PS4

October 3rd, 2014, 13:02
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
You're not being very realistic if you think actual hardware performance is the issue here.

It's all about perception. The public has deemed Xbox One a failure - and the developers realise this.

As such, you WILL see more PS4 exclusives and the PS4 WILL be the lead platform for more games.

That's just the way of life.

It doesn't matter in the slightest that the Xbox One does some things better and that the Kinect has a lot of potential - if developers actually bothered using it.

Another great potential wasted is the way MS wanted cloud storage used in games for vast amounts of data.

That won't happen now that PS4 is the clear winner, because the vast majority of games will be multiplatform with PS4 as the primary development target for most of those.
I do hear you and I think there is no real reason to buy Xbox one and I am better off with PS4. As you say in the long run there will be lot more games for PS4 than Xbox one for the reason you mentioned above but I was simply saying that xbox one hardware isn't far behind to handle 1080p at 60fps.
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#21

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,399
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

October 6th, 2014, 11:04
I got PS4 with Shadows of Mordor and The Last Of Us in bundle deal. Spent the whole weekend playing Shadows of Mordor and here is verdict on PS4…

- I have forgotten how good games look on large TV (mine was 55inch 4K). It does wonders for immersion. Shadows of Mordor looked extremely nice so much so that even my wife was sitting next to me and watching me play the game! She has never done that when I played on my monitor (24 inch). She even created a profile and had go at the game herself. I am looking for good PS4 game where both of us can play at the same time. Any recommendations?

- Again I have forgotten how comfy it is to play games on a couch with a recliner. I think am going to become couch potato!!

- It took me a while to get used to a controller after nearly 10 years. However I picked up lot faster than I expected. I could fight groups of mobs and with couple of mini bosses and win by the end of Sunday, so I am pretty pleased with the progress with the controller. However, I am still not very good with using the analog stick to control the camera. I wish I have the mouse but I hope its matter of time before I master that. The analog stick seems to have mind of its own and the camera move too much or too little, I just don't get the precision I get with the mouse. Any tips as to how best to learn camera movement with the analog stick?

May be its too soon to say but I see a new era dawning with me as a console gamer (again)
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#22

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,399
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

October 6th, 2014, 13:16
Why would you buy a 4K TV so early when we're years off from having video sources in native 4K that are not extremely rare, and when many console games will still be sub-1080P? I looked at a 4K TV in a Costco the other day showing a 1080p video and thought it looked really bad.
--
Your Heavenly Father loves you and wants you to come to repentance

Originally Posted by Ephesians 5:11
And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
Humanity has risen! is offline

Humanity has risen!

Humanity has risen!'s Avatar
SasqWatch

#23

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Trois-Rivières, Québec
Posts: 1,999
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

October 6th, 2014, 13:31
The new consoles are still struggling to create 1080p with 60fps so 4k is pure pipe dream. It will propably take two or three console generations before we see consoles producing 4k with 60fps.

I have pc connected to both of our big screen tvs but considering how much it costs to upgrade pc to produce 4k with 60fps, the cost of new 4k tv and potential problem with long hdmi cables I dont even bother to think about it.
--
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
zakhal is offline

zakhal

zakhal's Avatar
MyBabyAndMe

#24

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europa Universalis
Posts: 3,147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

October 6th, 2014, 13:44
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I got PS4 with Shadows of Mordor and The Last Of Us in bundle deal. Spent the whole weekend playing Shadows of Mordor and here is verdict on PS4…

- I have forgotten how good games look on large TV (mine was 55inch 4K). It does wonders for immersion. Shadows of Mordor looked extremely nice so much so that even my wife was sitting next to me and watching me play the game! She has never done that when I played on my monitor (24 inch). She even created a profile and had go at the game herself. I am looking for good PS4 game where both of us can play at the same time. Any recommendations?

- Again I have forgotten how comfy it is to play games on a couch with a recliner. I think am going to become couch potato!!

- It took me a while to get used to a controller after nearly 10 years. However I picked up lot faster than I expected. I could fight groups of mobs and with couple of mini bosses and win by the end of Sunday, so I am pretty pleased with the progress with the controller. However, I am still not very good with using the analog stick to control the camera. I wish I have the mouse but I hope its matter of time before I master that. The analog stick seems to have mind of its own and the camera move too much or too little, I just don't get the precision I get with the mouse. Any tips as to how best to learn camera movement with the analog stick?

May be its too soon to say but I see a new era dawning with me as a console gamer (again)
That is the power of the next gen consoles.

One thing: this game is designed on the same model as Ryse. Enemies are designed to help the player staging fights and looking good when doing it.
Enemies can be fought in swarms without it being a big deal.
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#25

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,231
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

October 6th, 2014, 13:46
Originally Posted by Humanity has risen! View Post
Why would you buy a 4K TV so early when we're years off from having video sources in native 4K that are not extremely rare, and when many console games will still be sub-1080P?
We were going to buy large TV for the living room but wasn't really after 4K as such. However I took lot of testing videos clips on a USB stick to my local retailer and picked a TV on which they all looked nice. It it just happened that particular TV was a 4K. I also tried lot of blu ray as well and they all looked MUCH better on the new TV compared to my old HD TV (47inch, 7 year). I don't know why it looks better but its either the up scaling feature or the processing engine on the new TV.

Originally Posted by Humanity has risen! View Post
I looked at a 4K TV in a Costco the other day showing a 1080p video and thought it looked really bad.
I don't know about US but I will never trust TV quality here in UK based on what the retailer is playing in the show room. Most of the time they use poor quality feed to those TVs and they don't all get the same feed so its hard to judge hence why I took my own stuff to test.

When I say "nice" I mean vibrate colours, smooth motion etc.
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#26

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,399
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

October 6th, 2014, 13:55
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
One thing: this game is designed on the same model as Ryse. Enemies are designed to help the player staging fights and looking good when doing it.
Enemies can be fought in swarms without it being a big deal.
Yes I understood that bit. I mean they sort of take turn to attack you and you can tell which one is going to attack next by the big green triangle on their head. They want to make you feel like a super hero

However I was so out of practice on the controller that I got slaughtered early on. I try to press the green triangle and nothing happens since I was pressing the wrong button! Sometime I will get the camera in such mess that I won't see any mobs and I get killed! Even after two days, I am still no good with the camera, I can't use range attacks properly because of that. Still my muscle memory is improving and I now know where the green triangle is without looking
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#27

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,399
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

October 6th, 2014, 14:01
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
The new consoles are still struggling to create 1080p with 60fps so 4k is pure pipe dream. It will propably take two or three console generations before we see consoles producing 4k with 60fps.

I have pc connected to both of our big screen tvs but considering how much it costs to upgrade pc to produce 4k with 60fps, the cost of new 4k tv and potential problem with long hdmi cables I dont even bother to think about it.
If you are in the market for new TV, its still worth looking at a 4K one. I think they have better picture quality provided you are buying medium to top end TV. Pictures on cheap 4k looks worse than cheap HD TV.

Also here in UK, there isn't much price difference between medium/top end HD and 4K tvs so you might as well get 4K.
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#28

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,399
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

October 7th, 2014, 08:09
Good example of how ps4 and x1 jaguar cpu is underpowered. The new creed was bottlenecked by the jaguar so both had to be locked to 900p/30fps:

"Technically we're CPU-bound," he said. "The GPUs are really powerful, obviously the graphics look pretty good, but it's the CPU [that] has to process the AI, the number of NPCs we have on screen, all these systems running in parallel.

"We were quickly bottlenecked by that and it was a bit frustrating, because we thought that this was going to be a tenfold improvement over everything AI-wise, and we realised it was going to be pretty hard. It's not the number of polygons that affect the framerate. We could be running at 100fps if it was just graphics, but because of AI, we're still limited to 30 frames per second."
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thre…=191315&page=1

The jaguar used in both consoles is not meant for gaming but light internet browsing so this is no suprise.
--
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
zakhal is offline

zakhal

zakhal's Avatar
MyBabyAndMe

#29

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europa Universalis
Posts: 3,147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

October 7th, 2014, 18:29
I'm a PC gamer first. But I've owned almost every single videogame console since the Atari 2600… so I do enjoy my consoles. But I've yet to jump into the Xbox One/PS4 'pool' simply because there aren't any games yet that interest me. If you're into FPS games and haven't tired of the avalanche of that genre then there might be reason to pick up either console. But since my main interest is RPGs and after that, anything NOT a FPS, there really just isn't any reason to buy.

I think eventually, before the end of the cycle, I will own both, assuming that eventually there are some interesting RPGs that come out.
--
If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is online now

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#30

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,805
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

October 7th, 2014, 19:33
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
I'm a PC gamer first. But I've owned almost every single videogame console since the Atari 2600… so I do enjoy my consoles. But I've yet to jump into the Xbox One/PS4 'pool' simply because there aren't any games yet that interest me. If you're into FPS games and haven't tired of the avalanche of that genre then there might be reason to pick up either console. But since my main interest is RPGs and after that, anything NOT a FPS, there really just isn't any reason to buy.

I think eventually, before the end of the cycle, I will own both, assuming that eventually there are some interesting RPGs that come out.
Have you played Last of Us on PS3?

If not, you have a reason to pick up the PS4 - as you can get the remastered version relatively cheap.

Yes, it's a shooter - but it's much more exploration based than most shooters. It's much like Bioshock Infinite, possibly with even more quiet moments.

DArtagnan

Guest

#31

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

October 7th, 2014, 19:50
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Have you played Last of Us on PS3?
I've heard of it but was under the impression it was a FPS. But I will look into it in more detail now that you mention there are some good exploration aspects to the game. Thank you.
--
If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is online now

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#32

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,805
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

October 7th, 2014, 19:58
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
I've heard of it but was under the impression it was a FPS. But I will look into it in more detail now that you mention there are some good exploration aspects to the game. Thank you.
It's a third person game, and it's got stealth elements as well. It's pretty big for this type of game and I'd say roughly half of it is all about exploration.

The Remastered version is my personal GOTY so far.

DArtagnan

Guest

#33

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

October 7th, 2014, 20:16
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Have you played Last of Us on PS3?

If not, you have a reason to pick up the PS4 - as you can get the remastered version relatively cheap.

Yes, it's a shooter - but it's much more exploration based than most shooters. It's much like Bioshock Infinite, possibly with even more quiet moments.
Really, I played most of it. Isn't it just a post-apocalyptic, linear Uncharted kind of game with some stealth elements?
--
Your Heavenly Father loves you and wants you to come to repentance

Originally Posted by Ephesians 5:11
And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
Humanity has risen! is offline

Humanity has risen!

Humanity has risen!'s Avatar
SasqWatch

#34

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Trois-Rivières, Québec
Posts: 1,999
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

October 7th, 2014, 20:21
Originally Posted by Humanity has risen! View Post
Really, I played most of it. Isn't it just a post-apocalyptic, linear Uncharted kind of game with some stealth elements?
If you played most of it, shouldn't you already know the answer to that?
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#35

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 27,267
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)

Default 

October 7th, 2014, 20:21
Originally Posted by Humanity has risen! View Post
Really, I played most of it. Isn't it just a post-apocalyptic, linear Uncharted kind of game with some stealth elements?
If you already played it, why are you asking?

It's a post-apoc setting and the narrative is linear, yeah. It has stealth elements as well.

It's also got fantastic exploration, strong characters and a compelling story to tell. Beyond that, I found the environments beautiful and diverse.

Uncharted bored me. Last of Us made me cry.

So, no, I don't think your description is adequate.

DArtagnan

Guest

#36

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Xbox One v PS4
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:05.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch