WTF Is Wrong With The Gaming Community? - Page 4 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » WTF Is Wrong With The Gaming Community?

Default WTF Is Wrong With The Gaming Community?

March 14th, 2016, 09:07
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
So now I'm a lot better at punching people, but too enlightened for it.
Quoted for great justice.
--
"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey
Arhu is offline

Arhu

Arhu's Avatar
Feline Wizard
Administrator
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 2 Donor

#61

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,192
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 15th, 2016, 13:36
Wow, what an interesting thread. Also very interesting to read Celerity's post.. and a little bit hard to believe what happened even.

I'll just throw in my two cents.

Cent 1: I guess I have a more positive view compared to a lot of other people here. While there are young people who don't know how to behave or posts a lot of crap on the internet. At least in Sweden, this generation is the most environmental aware, tolerant and open ever. Sure there are small extremist groups causing a lot of trouble, but the majority I've met have a very good and positive world view, care about poor people and less fortunate and so on, they might be used to a more straightforward way of communicating and are less polite.

But it is not always a negative thing, as holding a hidden grudge might be more damaging in the long term. I think a main point that many people have missed is a lot of people of the young generation are desperate to get attention online, little girls and boys will strip and do all sorts of obscene stuff. People will scream rape and murder, death threats.. anything to be seen. It is not easy to stand out in the 2 billion + crowd. When we were young it was enough to climb the tallest tree in the neighbourhood, now you have to climb the tallest tree in the world for anyone to be interested as it is right there on the internet.

Cent 2: I think a lot of people still don't know what a great place the watch is, sure we have had a few people leave recently because of some heat in P&R forum ( Which in my opinion is nothing compared to what you'll see on almost all other sites ) and some because the site was too good and took too much time. But compared to all other places I've been, this place is just super great! So are the mods, and the boss is a really great guy, at least from all the posts I've seen by Myrthos.
Last edited by GothicGothicness; March 16th, 2016 at 15:43.
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#62

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,073
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 15th, 2016, 15:12
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I like reading codex threads… its an open forum which is loosely moderated.
The codex is not loosely moderated, it's a very heavily moderated environment which happens to permit sexist and racist terminology and lurid imagery. Try posting a thread in the wrong forum category or a thread that doesn't meet the 'secret criteria' and watch how fast it moves…
lackblogger is offline

lackblogger

lackblogger's Avatar
retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

#63

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,318
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 15th, 2016, 15:39
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
The codex is not loosely moderated, it's a very heavily moderated environment which happens to permit sexist and racist terminology and lurid imagery. Try posting a thread in the wrong forum category or a thread that doesn't meet the 'secret criteria' and watch how fast it moves…
This so much.

My first Codex account got banned lol (for spamming). I was like WTF, 70% of all posts there are shitposting and the rest is heavily inflammatory, but I'm spamming?

Sacred_Path

Guest

#64

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 19th, 2016, 02:38
I used to write here lot but I started to game more on consoles than PC. I still play some of the best new rpgs on PC but handhelds like wii u, 3ds or vita rpgs is what I spend of my time. And I also have different life nowadays.

Too bad D'artagan left. But if he really is smart has he tried to act, he wont spend his whole life here writing obsessivly. He will transform and move on if needed. And since he is young that can easily happen. He might be back sometimes but it will never be the same again.

I actually write daily on other gaming forum which requires paid subscription and real name. Rpgwatch is not the only forum to loose.
--
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Last edited by zakhal; March 19th, 2016 at 02:50.
zakhal is offline

zakhal

zakhal's Avatar
MyBabyAndMe

#65

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europa Universalis
Posts: 3,147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 19th, 2016, 03:37
Lets turn this around a bit.
What is wrong with you(as in all of us) that even cares what others think or post.

The sad fact is the internet has really shown us what humans are……Sadder fact is most think this is okay.
--
I can change almost anything… but I can't change human nature.
CelticFrost is offline

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

#66

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,360
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 19th, 2016, 03:39
One day all of us will be dead and nothing we did will matter even if it was posted online.
--
I can change almost anything… but I can't change human nature.
CelticFrost is offline

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

#67

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,360
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 19th, 2016, 13:45
@CF Nice thought to put things in perspective.

But it does not change the fact that humans are herd animals, no lone wolfs.
Wherever they are, people are sensitive to what others say about them, be it a compliment or something they think is injust. We all want to be accepted, preferably being understood - not forced to the position of he bottom chicken in the pecking order.
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#68

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,322
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

Default 

March 19th, 2016, 14:46
Originally Posted by CelticFrost View Post
One day all of us will be dead and nothing we did will matter even if it was posted online.
Nice sentiment, excuse me now while I go curl up in the fetal position and wait to die since nothing matters anyway.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#69

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,159
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

Default 

March 19th, 2016, 15:21
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
I used to write here lot but I started to game more on consoles than PC.
Sorry but I'll never ever be able to understand that.
It's like moving from likes of Incal, Blacksad and Sandman to Superman and Batman.
Okay, dunno, maybe I do geddit when I get Alzheimer and start forgetting things or MS where I become unable to move my 10 fingers.

Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
Too bad D'artagan left. But if he really is smart has he tried to act, he wont spend his whole life here writing obsessivly. He will transform and move on if needed. And since he is young that can easily happen. He might be back sometimes but it will never be the same again.
It's not too bad from my perspective since I had him on ignorelist for years.
But then all his posts became visible because the acc got deleted so I read (parts of) the goodbye one.

He will not transform. He just got too much of whatever he was doing here. And felt the right choice is to leave. But he'll repeat the same thing elsewhere. RPGwatch is not the source of whatever "problem" he has. In fact, and honestly speaking, it's not a problem at all. He should have accepted himself as he is. Some people, me for example, don't like him, so what? There are many others who do.

Sadly, I suspect that the change was demanded by his "better" part and he thought that he should at least try. But I'm too different from him and I'd ditch her. Or him. You want someone else, go search for that don't try to make me be what I'm not. Probably the reason I'm single.

Originally Posted by CelticFrost View Post
The sad fact is the internet has really shown us what humans are……Sadder fact is most think this is okay.
Yes, IMO it's okay.
People lived without internet and without phones for millions of years. Suddenly we discovered easy communication and we want to get max from it.
And then came computer and phone viruses, ransomware, frauds and scams. You saying that's what humans really are? I don't think so. IMO that's what a part of humans really are but without them, we'd never learn how to recognize and avoid that stuff. Well, some of us. Others still accept tossing their hardearned cash to frauds.

The thread started about toxicity, just play a few pvp matches of League of Legends and suddenly all trolls you've seen elsewhere will feel like a cute cat.
Again, I believe it's okay. Why is it okay? Because I believe it's better to let out steam towards people you don't care about than people you love.

Originally Posted by CelticFrost View Post
One day all of us will be dead and nothing we did will matter even if it was posted online.
When it comes to forums, it's the journey that matters.
And one day universe will cease to exist. Does it mean the experience is not worth it and we should abandon the ship of life right now? I don't think so.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; March 19th, 2016 at 15:39.
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#70

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,169
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)

Default 

March 19th, 2016, 15:34
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what forum was it? I'd like to know so I can avoid it.

Fwiw, I don't think DAtargan leaving had anything to do with arguing. (Let's be honest, that would be a little ironic. ) The impression I got was that he felt he was investing too much time posting here.

I agree with you about gaming forums in general though. I barely post on Steam anymore because of all the idiots. Sports forums are the same way tbh. I used to post a lot in discussions about college football & basketball and pro hockey, but now it seems like more than half the posts are just younger sports fans flaming each other.
JDR13 is a dirty Michigan fan and he is a worthless PoS He should be banned from RPGWatch and the United States. He is the person that poisoned the water in Flint and was exiled to Florida. GO BUCKS!!!!

That is how most sport forums go these days and I stay away from them also. Though I still hate wolverines
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."
Hastar is offline

Hastar

Hastar's Avatar
Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

#71

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wolf Light Woods
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Default 

March 19th, 2016, 15:45
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
JDR13 is a dirty Michigan fan and he is a worthless PoS
Corrected it.
The reason? He brings up a game I've never even heard about and describes it in a halfshy way how it could be okay game… Just okay, nothing much…
And then it happens it's a masterpiece or almost one.

If nothing it's a mockery as it happened a few times already.
But don't ban him, I'd rather be tricked again than not knowing about the next title!

P.S. Sorry for derailing, just had to.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#72

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,169
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)

Default 

March 19th, 2016, 18:22
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more corrupt.

Horace, Odes Book III
20 BC



This has been going on for a while now.
Yes, it has been. But it's also a myth. Golden Age, Paradise Lost and all that jazz…
zahratustra is offline

zahratustra

SasqWatch

#73

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,721
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 19th, 2016, 19:16
Originally Posted by zahratustra View Post
Yes, it has been. But it's also a myth. Golden Age, Paradise Lost and all that jazz…
Yes, that's what I was driving at. I'm always suspicious of the viewpoint that society is going downhill, and "kids these days…"

It's seems unlikely to me that humanity has been going consistently downhill since the Iron Age (though we have one or two members who definitely do lament the passing of Iron Age values). It seems far more likely that such a perspective is something that is psychologically predictable in people as they get a bit older.
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#74

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 19th, 2016, 19:39
I would go one further and say there is nothing wrong with the current "gaming community" or any other community for that matter. All that's different today is that people have more of an outlet to espouse their views that didn't exist in the past.

For example, I'm sure when newspapers came out, the generation before that was talking about how crazy all the crime is that is published in the newspaper. But the invention of the newspaper didn't create the crime, it just served as a mouth to tell people all about it.

Today, the transfer of information is instantaneous. Because of that, people espouse their views instantly on sites like Twitter, gaming forums, etc. It's no different than the previous generation except that the technology has evolved and changed.

I would actually argue that things are better than ever now, simply because of the instant exchange of information. Don't know where a place is? Google directions. Or use GPS. Do all this on your phone.

But why is it better than ever? Sites like Change.org. Now we can see injustice happening in the world, and since people have more of a voice than ever, we can make real changes. It's happening right now and will only grow more until every last bit of evil, indecency and injustice is thwarted out. It's like an RPG only it's real life.

That's just my opinion. Fluent out.

Deleted User

Guest

#75

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

March 19th, 2016, 20:16
Can you imagine what internet forums would have looked like in the 1920's and 30's - when fascism was taking off in Europe and the KKK had 4 million members? And the stuff that would have been on Youtube…
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#76

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 21st, 2016, 00:33
Literally almost threw up imagining a KKK youtube channel.
Korplem is offline

Korplem

Korplem's Avatar
Shipwreck
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#77

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearl Harbor, HI
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 27th, 2016, 00:29
I do actually remember actively avoiding forums for games I enjoyed because reading the constant kvetching and moaning would actually negatively impact my enjoyment of a game. For example - every MMO, ever. I could happily dip into WoW or DDO or whatever - I'm a casual player of a lot of types of games - and the minute I started reading the forums it immediately became a chore to want to play the game. The flaws were obsessed over to the point where you couldn't just play the damn game for what it was anymore.

So yes, I've seen a lot of this and I tend to avoid getting emotional at all about the topic of gaming, no matter how much I love the hobby or how many decades I've been at it.
ElderGnome is offline

ElderGnome

ElderGnome's Avatar
Gnome of the World

#78

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern US…
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 27th, 2016, 03:30
Maybe men got worse, more aggresive? I frequent forums and online places populated almost entirely by women, and nothing written here applies to those places. They're as nice and friendly as ever.
Elel is offline

Elel

Elel's Avatar
Devout Priestess of RPGs

#79

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Russia
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

March 27th, 2016, 04:07
I don't know - in my experience all-female environments can be pretty fractious and ruthless. My girlfriend used to live in shared house full of women, and says nothing could persuade her to do so again!
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#80

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » WTF Is Wrong With The Gaming Community?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:01.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch