New Nintendo system: "Nintendo Switch" - Page 3 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » New Nintendo system: "Nintendo Switch"

Default New Nintendo system: "Nintendo Switch"

October 21st, 2016, 02:19
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Playing games with a Wiimote got old really fast. The console had a handful of games that actually worked well with the controls, but hardcore gamers stayed away because most of the titles were unappealing to them and Nintendo forced people to use the Wiimote instead of including alternate control schemes.

I think about the few games I actually liked on that system (LoZ: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3), and I wonder how much more I could have enjoyed them if I hadn't been forced to use a control scheme that I didn't prefer.

Being innovative can only get a console so far. It has to have a solid library to support it. The Wii U was innovative as well, but that wasn't enough.
Some games you could use alternate controls such as the Classic Controller, etc. Most of the vintage games offered used that, obviously. Also, some games had the choice to use the CC with the Wii game itself. The Monster Hunter game that came out for the Wii had that option, as well Xenoblade: Chronicles.

To be honest, though, the Wiimote was actually better to use in Xenoblade for me. It gave you the added ability to do two things at once that was not possible with the CC. And many games that required the Wiimote actually had fantastic and fun controls (Mario Galaxy comes to mind. That game series alone makes the Wii worth buying, IMO).

Deleted User

Mentioned: Post(s)

October 21st, 2016, 05:35
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
Some games you could use alternate controls such as the Classic Controller, etc. Most of the vintage games offered used that, obviously. Also, some games had the choice to use the CC with the Wii game itself. The Monster Hunter game that came out for the Wii had that option, as well Xenoblade: Chronicles.
Some games yeah, but they were somewhat few and far between. Thing is, *every* game should have had an option to use a gamepad, or at least where it was viable, and it was for most titles. For some reason though, Nintendo wanted to shove the Wiimote down our throats. Either that or the developers were just too lazy to include separate control schemes for gamepads.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)

October 21st, 2016, 07:05
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
Its apparently a custom Tegra processor

More here:
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/1…ntendo-switch/

Would be interesting to see if its a Tegra 1 or 2 custom. I dont think the original Tegra is capable of the visuals, I maybe wrong however. Maybe future androids if it is Tegra 2?
I have the original tegra in Nvidia shield and it can run i.e latest borderslands just fine. It was the most powerful tablet-processor 2 years back. The one in switch is likely even more powerful custom one. Nvidia shield is the best android tablet I have ever had or seen. It runs like dream (or like ipad) i.e compared to google nexus 7 which was just awful.

Original Nvidia Shield was quite powerful 2 years back:
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8296/65867.png

Switch can become quite popular in Japan where people dont like tv-consoles. Might kill Vita and 3ds, migrating game companies to develop lots of strange Japanese games for Switch.

Imho this device is not directly competing wiht traditional tv-consoles. Its more like trying to compete with tablet/mobile gaming. Its the perfect tablet for gaming. It has the hardware for android, maybe software too. If they are building a closed system then its more liek ios-style new ecosystem for gaming.

The "dead console walking" Wii U has outsold the PS4 in Japan

But what really must be most concerning for Sony about this current impasse is how an underdog console like the Nintendo Wii U, which is considered in the West a "dead console walking" and never had the sort of super high-end launch that the PS4 had, is that it has managed to outsell the PlayStation 4 in Japan with more than 3 million consoles sold to date.

So while Sony is killing it here in Europe with the PS4, generating a real stranglehold over the console market thanks to many US developers like Rockstar, Zenimax, Activision and EA pumping out games for the system (and their effective marketing on TV), in Japan, despite Sony's heavy marketing campaigns (the last one was weirdly named 'ZOINK'), Japanese hardcore gamers are just not buying it. According to my face-to-face research in Akihabara, gamers just see the PS4 as an expensive toy with very few interesting titles to play.

http://www.t3.com/news/the-fall-of-p…ion-4-in-japan
--
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke
Last edited by zakhal; October 21st, 2016 at 07:28.

zakhal

MyBabyAndMe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

October 21st, 2016, 07:55
The Shield is indeed a great tablet. Ludicrously low priced, too. It has equivalent (or better) of an actual Xbox 360/PS3 console in terms of graphical power. That's why I paired mine with the IPEGA bluetooth controller and it was like having an Android handheld console that could not only do Android but play any PC game you'd like (to an extent). Skyrim on it, etc., no problem. 8" huge 1080p screen (compare that to something like the PSP, for example, which is only 5" and 720p.). It has advanced PC-streaming so you could pretty much stream any game you'd like from your PC. 1080p/60 FPS. If you add 3rd-party controller mapping software you could play PC RPGs like Risen, Wizards & Warriors, Space Hack, all sorts of fun little goodies that you could play on the tablet with the controller. Games that normally don't have controller support.

Nintendo definitely took a page from the Shield as an inspiration and ran with it a bit, added some neat features, but I expect Nvidia to crush the handheld game when they release either the Shield 2 or some other joint venture with Nintendo. Since the Switch doesn't have Android support (that we know of), it seems like the Shield 2 could still have a viable share of the mobile/handheld console space. The Shield is already the "unknown" Android console. It is the original handheld/console hybrid (that I know of). It has a console mode and I think it even can stream the screen wireless to certain TVs (I haven't really tried that much so I'm not 100% sure).

I also added a nifty little mod on my Shield. A nice external battery velcro'd to the back of it. Seems silly but it is great. It extends the battery life 3-4x and it maintains a lot of charge if I ever forget to charge my tablet, etc. Just plug in the cable to the external and I'm good to go.

Tablets are cool.

Deleted User

October 21st, 2016, 09:50
The Shield is indeed a great tablet. Ludicrously low priced, too. It has equivalent (or better) of an actual Xbox 360/PS3 console in terms of graphical power. That's why I paired mine with the IPEGA bluetooth controller and it was like having an Android handheld console that could not only do Android but play any PC game you'd like (to an extent). Skyrim on it, etc., no problem. 8" huge 1080p screen (compare that to something like the PSP, for example, which is only 5" and 720p.). It has advanced PC-streaming so you could pretty much stream any game you'd like from your PC. 1080p/60 FPS. If you add 3rd-party controller mapping software you could play PC RPGs like Risen, Wizards & Warriors, Space Hack, all sorts of fun little goodies that you could play on the tablet with the controller. Games that normally don't have controller support.
I have ipega too! But I recommend getting ps4 controller wiht the Sony tablet clip. Much better controller for Nvidia Shield. I mainly use gamestream to stream my Steam library to Nvidia Shield.
I also added a nifty little mod on my Shield. A nice external battery velcro'd to the back of it. Seems silly but it is great. It extends the battery life 3-4x and it maintains a lot of charge if I ever forget to charge my tablet, etc. Just plug in the cable to the external and I'm good to go.

Tablets are cool.
Hah I thought about that too. I even bought external battery.

Switch can actually be more poweful than Shield if its using closed os instead of Android which is known to be resource-hungry. Same reason why game consoles run games faster on same hardware vs windows.

One thing not mentioned is that you can propably stream your PC games to Switch like you can to Nvidia Shield tablet. Its totally possible with the hardware and Nvidia might even be helping Nintendo to achieve that. There were even rumours in the spring that you can play games of other systems with NX.

In the demo they were playing Skyrim and Wiiu games. Do you think the were Switch games or just games striimed from PC and wiiu? "Switch to pc stream, ps4 stream, android stream etc".

https://shield.nvidia.com/game-stream

Nintendo's NX may work with smartphones, PCs and even rival consoles such as PlayStation4.

Macquarie Research Japan senior analyst David Gibson has hinted that the forthcoming Nintendo NX platform will be able to interact with devices such as the popular PlayStation 4, smartphones and PC’s. Interestingly, his comments came around the same time as the company raised their rating for Nintendo’s financial performance.

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/01/2…martphones-pc/
--
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
Last edited by zakhal; October 21st, 2016 at 10:35.

zakhal

MyBabyAndMe

+1:

October 21st, 2016, 12:10
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
One thing not mentioned is that you can propably stream your PC games to Switch like you can to Nvidia Shield tablet.
This is IMO the only possible reason one can have to buy a tablet.

Unless you're forced to use cables. The stream has to go over AirPlay, Chromecast or Miracast! For those who're not sure what I'm talking about:
http://www.howtogeek.com/177145/wire…cast-and-dlna/
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)

October 21st, 2016, 13:29
Originally Posted by joxer View Post

Unless you're forced to use cables. The stream has to go over AirPlay, Chromecast or Miracast! For those who're not sure what I'm talking about:
http://www.howtogeek.com/177145/wire…cast-and-dlna/
GameStream and MoonlightStream are the techs used to stream to tablet from PC with Nvidia graphics card. GameStream seams to work better for me. Moonlight produces some artifacts.

It happens wirelessly of course, allthough if you prefer you can you use i.e ethernet cable if your house has LAN built-in (ours does).
--

zakhal

MyBabyAndMe

October 21st, 2016, 14:17
Never heard of those two, then again my knowledge about garbageware is limited.
Still, as long as it's wireless LOCALLY and not over internet, it's all good in my book.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

October 21st, 2016, 14:33
Never heard of those two, then again my knowledge about garbageware is limited.
Still, as long as it's wireless LOCALLY and not over internet, it's all good in my book.
They are not gargabeware, they are the android apps you have to download and use when doing the streaming from pc with Nvidia graphics card. Streaming can happen over internet but of course its way better when done locally.

Ive used airplay streaming from pc airparrot to appletv before but the quality was so poor I (compared to i.e gamestream) that I never used it for gaming.
--

zakhal

MyBabyAndMe

October 21st, 2016, 15:57
By garbageware I ment the hardware here.

The last time I tried airparrot over some emulator on my PC it was crashing like crazy, but since it's emulation no surprise there. On iOS tablets it should work.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

October 21st, 2016, 20:42
I have ipega too! But I recommend getting ps4 controller wiht the Sony tablet clip. Much better controller for Nvidia Shield. I mainly use gamestream to stream my Steam library to Nvidia Shield.

Huh. Sounds cool. I thought about using a clip + controller but I do like that the IPEGA wraps around the tablet rather than underneath it. I had the Shield Portable as well, and it was cool but I do prefer the controller to go around the tablet similar to a PSP or the Switch.

Hah I thought about that too. I even bought external battery.

Switch can actually be more poweful than Shield if its using closed os instead of Android which is known to be resource-hungry. Same reason why game consoles run games faster on same hardware vs windows.

One thing not mentioned is that you can propably stream your PC games to Switch like you can to Nvidia Shield tablet. Its totally possible with the hardware and Nvidia might even be helping Nintendo to achieve that. There were even rumours in the spring that you can play games of other systems with NX.

In the demo they were playing Skyrim and Wiiu games. Do you think the were Switch games or just games striimed from PC and wiiu? "Switch to pc stream, ps4 stream, android stream etc".

https://shield.nvidia.com/game-stream
That's interesting. Now I am curious if Shield 2 is going to be made. If Switch has this feature, then it might just be the "new Shield" line for Nvidia/Nintendo. I just wish the tablet offered typical tablet functions when not gaming (such as Android, apps, etc.) as well as it should be 8" 1080p screen like the Shield, IMO. But it definitely is interesting and I think it might be a big smash hit for Nintendo.

Deleted User

October 21st, 2016, 20:49
It's a nice feature on the Shield. Since the Shield has a beautiful screen the games look really good on it. And of course you can lay in bed or in a recliner somewhere and just easily play a game on it. It's nice.

Not to mention the Android game market is expanding as well. There are actually quite a few decent RPGs and games you can play on there. And no, I don't mean similar to Angry Birds. But actual RPGs and stuff. It's cool.

Deleted User

October 21st, 2016, 22:52
I started to play android version of pc rpgs with Nvidia Shield and found them playable if you use stylus. It feels like a mouse with that extra reach. I restarted baldur gate enchanced and also playing shadowrun.

Switch might have android games if they put resources into that in software side but even then Im sure they might want to pick themselves what is available and what not.
--

zakhal

MyBabyAndMe

+1:

October 21st, 2016, 23:07
I started to play android version of pc rpgs with Nvidia Shield and found them playable if you use stylus. It feels like a mouse with that extra reach. I restarted baldur gate enchanced and also playing shadowrun.

Switch might have android games if they put resources into that in software side but even then Im sure they might want to pick themselves what is available and what not.
PC RPGs on Shield can be great. Android versions work very well with the very high quality Shield stylus.

If Switch has Android games/support then it will close a bit of the market to the Shield, IMO. If Switch hand selects games/apps, etc., well, that would be pretty interesting. Shield would still have the advantage of having 100% Android access. But I guess we'll see when they reveal more information on the Switch.

Deleted User

October 22nd, 2016, 22:46
Not to mention the Android game market is expanding as well.
I'm only interested in emulators. Bluestacks works nice, Nox perhaps even better - seems superfast after I enabled VM Intel capability in BIOS.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

October 24th, 2016, 11:47
This is an excellent move by Nintendo. They've made an actual worthy reason to get a console over a PC. With the Xbox and PS just getting new hardware upgrades, it's becoming harder to come up with solid reasons to not just use Steam with a controller instead. But getting console power on the go for the fraction of the price of a gaming laptop is a big plus.

While I would love to see the Shield 2 become a major player for a game platform (I love my Shield), I think the open nature of Android is just not financially viable for the big studios especially. They want the closed platforms so they can make physical game sales, and not App Store piece meal. However if we start seeing big titles now on the Switch, then we know they're getting ARM support (maybe?) and might have a second release down the road, like the PC ports of yesteryear.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
+1:

October 24th, 2016, 22:52
Switch might get the casuals of Wii back in to the game. Wii was not popular just because of motion controls but because you needed only half of a controller to start playing games. Modern game controllers have way too much buttons for casuals.

And Im not kidding, Ive seen it multiple times. Adults getting frustrated because they dont want to spend the time on learning what 19 buttons, small touchscreen and 2 joysticks do in each game (ps4), kids playing fifa the whole summer without really knowing how to use controller, etc. Ive felt it myself when playing NHL casually with friends, I never know how to actually use the controller, its annoying.

Those same people spend more and more time gaming with phones and tables, while giving up on real game devices. Its a shame really. Such a waste.

Wii u failed because it went to the opposite direction and needed not only a full controller at minimum but a possible game specific touchreen also with extra controls. But Switch is finally back in the right track with the "half controller" as a starting point.

Switch has gained a lot of 3rd party support and Im guessings its because they hope that it will pull back crowds from the mobile devices back into the real game devices thanks to the simplicity of the controls. Switch could be a bridge between the tablet/mobile gaming and tv consoles (and PC), bringing back growth so that instead of sequels we might actually get new games.

Personally I dont like casual games but if there is something I dislike even more its mobile gaming and the fact how big it has become. Hopefully Switch will change the course of that.
--
Last edited by zakhal; October 24th, 2016 at 23:36.

zakhal

MyBabyAndMe

October 24th, 2016, 23:27
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
This is an excellent move by Nintendo. They've made an actual worthy reason to get a console over a PC. With the Xbox and PS just getting new hardware upgrades, it's becoming harder to come up with solid reasons to not just use Steam with a controller instead. But getting console power on the go for the fraction of the price of a gaming laptop is a big plus.

While I would love to see the Shield 2 become a major player for a game platform (I love my Shield), I think the open nature of Android is just not financially viable for the big studios especially. They want the closed platforms so they can make physical game sales, and not App Store piece meal. However if we start seeing big titles now on the Switch, then we know they're getting ARM support (maybe?) and might have a second release down the road, like the PC ports of yesteryear.
I don't know about Shield 2 becoming a "major player", but I think the Switch can help them, actually. The Shield 2 still will likely have at least a 2" larger screen than the Switch (perhaps even with a 10" model, which would be nice), a higher resolution screen (not sure if 4K at the 8" or 10" size is noticeable. Is it?), Android support and the basic tablet features that make the first Shield great.

The Switch will be dope but I don't think it's going to get games like Baldur's Gate: EE, Vogel games, etc. etc. Android should be expanding in that area once other tablets get better gaming features. The Shield was a bit ahead of the time in that area, IMO.

Deleted User

October 24th, 2016, 23:50
I don't know about Shield 2 becoming a "major player", but I think the Switch can help them, actually. The Shield 2 still will likely have at least a 2" larger screen than the Switch (perhaps even with a 10" model, which would be nice), a higher resolution screen (not sure if 4K at the 8" or 10" size is noticeable. Is it?), Android support and the basic tablet features that make the first Shield great.

The Switch will be dope but I don't think it's going to get games like Baldur's Gate: EE, Vogel games, etc. etc. Android should be expanding in that area once other tablets get better gaming features. The Shield was a bit ahead of the time in that area, IMO.
What ticks me off is that X-COM still isn't compatible with the Shield (at least not natively). It's so backwards that I can play it on my iPhone 6S Plus, but not on a Tegra K1 tablet.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

October 24th, 2016, 23:58
nvidia needs to address battery life if they make a shield 2. The first shield is terrible. If they fix that they'll have the best tablet going imo.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » New Nintendo system: "Nintendo Switch"