Battle Brothers - 'Blazing Deserts' DLC Announcement - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Battle Brothers - 'Blazing Deserts' DLC Announcement

Default Battle Brothers - 'Blazing Deserts' DLC Announcement

January 21st, 2020, 13:18
My main problem with your argument isn't inclusivity (I actually like having female avatars), but the classic line "It wouldn't be that much work!" which always rubs me the wrong way. Nothing in game design "isn't that much work." And anything added as DLC way after the fact has to have some kind of financial payoff. The merc avatars have many many variations. One female merc would likely be as much work as one type of one monster. But the return, looong after the 1.0 release (or even at the 1.0 release) IMO would be minimal.
--
contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal+DLC | Stygian | Realms Beyond
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG+DLC | Urtuk | Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness
screeg is offline

screeg

screeg's Avatar
floating head
RPGWatch Donor

#21

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,131
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

January 21st, 2020, 14:50
Originally Posted by arthureloi View Post
I just noticed now the lack of women in this game. The demand for it baffles me and it's such bullshit as I see it.

Were there even women in mercenary outfits during medieval times? It's so idiotic and to me it seems like, for the sake on inclusion, immersion and realism should be damned.
Ah, the historical approach.
It's because of this kind of demand that we have black people as elves and a latina as Triss in the witcher series, a polish folklore work. Nothing against it, but everything has its place.
A germanic cast is not out of place in a historical Poland thing approach. As long as it is white, it goes.
The result of two hundred more of institutionalized double standards: the inversion.
It would be as much strange if we had caucasian people in the middle of wakanda or men in an amazon outfit.
It is taken that this movie has no white cast. As to having men dressed as women, nothing prevents. A skirt here, a skirt there and it is good.
--
Backlog:0
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#22

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,231
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

January 21st, 2020, 14:52
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
My main problem with your argument isn't inclusivity (I actually like having female avatars), but the classic line "It wouldn't be that much work!" which always rubs me the wrong way. Nothing in game design "isn't that much work." And anything added as DLC way after the fact has to have some kind of financial payoff. The merc avatars have many many variations. One female merc would likely be as much work as one type of one monster. But the return, looong after the 1.0 release (or even at the 1.0 release) IMO would be minimal.
A female model is expected to be as much work as a male counterpart. It is not like no new male models were not added since release.

Lack of arguments as the trademark.
--
Backlog:0
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#23

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,231
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

January 21st, 2020, 17:55
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Except that these are fantasy settings. So that argument doesn't fly for me.

If you make a game like Kingdom Deliverance which has no magic and meant to be based on history then I would agree. When you have elves and witches and sea serpents that argument loses a lot of credibility…

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I see what you mean but I disagree. I think a modicum of realism, even in fantastic stories, goes a long way towards strengthening immersion.

If you tell a fantastic story about folklore here in my country (Brazil), it makes complete sense to mix all ethnicities. Black people, native indians, caucasians, latinos, asians and the mix between them would be just natural and organic. The same procedure would not be true when talking about nordic countries, as fantastic as the story might be.

Thus, in my opinion, inclusion for the sake of it has been damaging the quality of movies and games, as much richer and more interesting settings could be built otherwise.
arthureloi is offline

arthureloi

arthureloi's Avatar
Visionary Vampire

#24

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nosgoth
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

January 21st, 2020, 18:12
The only thing that comes to my mind regarding this is Bananas Foster

--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#25

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 5,092
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

January 21st, 2020, 19:03
Originally Posted by arthureloi View Post
I see what you mean but I disagree. I think a modicum of realism, even in fantastic stories, goes a long way towards strengthening immersion.

If you tell a fantastic story about folklore here in my country (Brazil), it makes complete sense to mix all ethnicities. Black people, native indians, caucasians, latinos, asians and the mix between them would be just natural and organic. The same procedure would not be true when talking about nordic countries, as fantastic as the story might be.

Thus, in my opinion, inclusion for the sake of it has been damaging the quality of movies and games, as much richer and more interesting settings could be built otherwise.
We will have to agree to disagree.


Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#26

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,423
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

January 21st, 2020, 20:53
Originally Posted by arthureloi View Post
If you tell a fantastic story about folklore here in my country (Brazil), it makes complete sense to mix all ethnicities. Black people, native indians, caucasians, latinos, asians and the mix between them would be just natural and organic. The same procedure would not be true when talking about nordic countries, as fantastic as the story might be.

Thus, in my opinion, inclusion for the sake of it has been damaging the quality of movies and games, as much richer and more interesting settings could be built otherwise.
It looks like a very inclusive way of doing. If anything, there should be only indians considering the historical Poland approach.

And more importantly, there wont be such product. Pointless to speculate against things that are so unlikely to happen. Sidetracking.
--
Backlog:0
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#27

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,231
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

January 21st, 2020, 21:10
Battle Brothers is like meditation for me. I've never played a game where it puts me in a trance and the hours just melt away. I should monitor my heart rate and blood pressure while I play. Except when my favorite Brother dies!
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."
Hastar is offline

Hastar

Hastar's Avatar
Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

#28

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wolf Light Woods
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Default 

January 22nd, 2020, 09:36
Originally Posted by arthureloi View Post
I see what you mean but I disagree. I think a modicum of realism, even in fantastic stories, goes a long way towards strengthening immersion.

If you tell a fantastic story about folklore here in my country (Brazil), it makes complete sense to mix all ethnicities. Black people, native indians, caucasians, latinos, asians and the mix between them would be just natural and organic. The same procedure would not be true when talking about nordic countries, as fantastic as the story might be.

Thus, in my opinion, inclusion for the sake of it has been damaging the quality of movies and games, as much richer and more interesting settings could be built otherwise.
Just because you don't understand what fantasy means it doesn't mean everyone else should be brought down to your level.

As for facts, yes, latinos, numidians, orientals and all etc would have been around in all ages in all regions depending on the specific year in question as it may surprise you to learn that international trade has existed for thousands of years and as such any port town in history would have been a diverse location.

And most RPGs use port towns as the focal point, in case you haven't noticed, and if not port towns, then whatever central trading hub. Just because not many of these people made it into portraits of kings and queens it doesn't mean they didn't exist.

In fact, the strongest powers in Europe at one point in the medieval era were in fact an African nation in Spain, a Mongol nation in Eastern Europe and an Oriental nation in the Balkans.

You think not one of them made it to every corner of Europe?

Lol, enjoy your revisionist illiterate racism.
lackblogger is offline

lackblogger

lackblogger's Avatar
retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

#29

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,318
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Battle Brothers - 'Blazing Deserts' DLC Announcement
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:15.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch