King's Bounty II - First Reviews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
King's Bounty II will be released tomorrow here are the first reviews:

PC Gamer - King's Bounty 2 does both tactics and RPG, but neither well - Score 59/100

Rock Paper Shotgun - Good strategy packaged with a baggy RPG

Push Square - Turn-Based Battler Not Fit for a King - Score 5/10

More information.

I was looking forward to playing this tomorrow. Still getting it but this hurts because I love the series.

Oh boy, I didn't expect that. What a punch in the stomach... :(

I hope Disciples: Liberation does fare better. I've been considering buying it.

What I expected, after knowing that they didn't allow any gameplay videos before today. Very fishy.

But it was also expected because King's Bounty was always in the category of turn based strategy games, like Heroes of Might & Magic. The story was always ignored, no one cared. And they decided to double down with the story and RPG aspects, that just waters down the experience that the players want: a real sequel to King's Bounty. Not this hybrid where people will have to endure gameplay and story they don't care about and will be bored, to reach the tactic combat.

I did well not to pre-order. Maybe I'll get it in a STEAM sale in a few months. With Pathfinder WOTR and Encased being released in a little more 1-2 weeks from now, it's just not worth it to invest in a subpar game now.

With this game I don't care about reviews, I just want it.
However, after seeing PCGamer, who crowned MGS5 as goty over TW3, stating KB2 is a mediocre game, somehow I believe it's much more than just mediocre.

And here's a review that states it's less than mediocre (4/10):
https://culturedvultures.com/kings-bounty-2-pc-review/
Just like many of its undead characters, King’s Bounty 2 fails to revive a venerable franchise due to its lack of innovation, archaic design decisions, and grindy backtracking.

Then here's one that loves the game (9/10):
http://www.gamersheroes.com/honest-game-reviews/kings-bounty-2-review-fit-for-a-king/
King’s Bounty 2 is everything turn-based fans have been screaming out for. The traditional RPG elements are executed to near perfection. The combat is challenging and engaging from start to finish. The story is dark, heartwarming, and impactful. Put simply, this game has everything.

Who should I trust? I guess - me. ;)

It already had got bad press, I'm not surprised. The only thing that pisses me is the permadeath, so I would need to play it with a trainer...

Disappointing, but somehow I'm not surprised. The RPS reviews does make the strategy parts of it sound somehow still appealing despite it's flaws. Might be worth checking out when the discount gets high enough.

With this game I don't care about reviews, I just want it.
However, after seeing PCGamer, who crowned MGS5 as goty over TW3, stating KB2 is a mediocre game, somehow I believe it's much more than just mediocre.

Who should I trust? I guess - me. ;)

Totally agree... honestly, reading a variety of reviews, I'm left thinking I'll enjoy this. Might not be a good as earlier KBs but a number of things they criticize don't strike me as issues for my preferences.

Totally agree… honestly, reading a variety of reviews, I'm left thinking I'll enjoy this. Might not be a good as earlier KBs but a number of things they criticize don't strike me as issues for my preferences.
Yep but like one member told me on the movie thread, "No one cares about your opinion fool. You might like a mediocre product but that doesn't make it a great movie."

He was of course dead wrong and can still kiss my behind.:biggrin:

Anyhow it's amazing how even I enjoy a lot of games, movies, and books most consider trash. At the end of the day all that matters is you enjoyed the product. The end.

Last edited:
I didn't have real high expectations based on what I'd seen, but those scores are still surprising.

Hopefully there's still some fun to be had for the people who were looking forward to it.

Initial Steam reviews are sitting at 37% positive. Most reviews are from people who've only played an hour or two, but considering the critic's reviews, this is looking really dubious.

Was I Nostradamus, when I predicted this game will flop? Nope.. It looked sooOo out of place there was almost zero doubt this will FCKN FAIL! Kings Bounty I. remains king!!

Well, the question is if it gets negative reviews because it's not a true successor to KB1 or because it's just a bad game.

If it's the former I couldn't care less about the negative reviews.

Well, the question is if it gets negative reviews because it's not a true successor to KB1 or because it's just a bad game.

When you say KB1 are you referring to Kings Bounty: The Legend or the original King's Bounty from New World Computing?

It's supposed to be a sequel to the latter, but I think part of the problem is that game is so old that many gamers know nothing about it. Most KB fans were probably hoping for something more similar to The Legend and Armored Princess.

Back
Top Bottom