Marvel's Midnight Suns - Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
An XCOM like game featuring Marvel Heroes has been announced called Midnight Suns. PC Gamer talked with Jake Solomon about the new RPG.

When Hell awakens, only they can stop it. Rise up and join a darker order of heroes to defeat Lilith before the Darkhold is complete in this tactical RPG set in the darker side of the Marvel Universe.

#DarknessFalls when Marvel's Midnight Suns arrives March 2022.

[...]

Marvel's Midnight Suns was revealed with a cinematic trailer (embedded above) at Geoff Keighley's Gamescom show today, but gameplay isn't being revealed until next week. Yesterday, I pelted a 2K rep with questions, some of which were forwarded to Solomon, until a picture formed of a game that's as similar to Mass Effect 2 as it is XCOM, with a few surprising Stardew Valley touches. Here's what I learned:

Midnight Suns isn't a Marvel-skinned XCOM, but it is structured like an XCOM game. There's a base that can be upgraded, called The Abbey, from which you'll select missions out in the world. Before embarking on one of the turn-based combat missions, you'll choose three heroes from a cast of 12 Marvel troublemakers to come along. So far, ten of those heroes have been announced: Dr. Strange, Magik, Iron Man, Wolverine, Ghost Rider (the Robbie Reyes version), Blade, Captain America, Nico Minoru, and Captain Marvel.

[...]
More information.

XCOM-like or not (and I'm fan of squad tactics games), I can't say I'm excited.
I am, in fact, quite disappointed :disappointed::disappointed:
During this year I've read rumors that 2K/Firaxis would announce an XCOM game, I was already drooling for XCOM 3

It's not an RPG it's a Marvel skinned X-Com.

Marvel Midnight Suns Gameplay Explained by Firaxis

Marvel Midnight Suns is the latest from the team behind XCOM: Enemy Within and a new type of game from the team at Firaxis. We sat down with Jake Solomon, the creative director at Firaxis to ask him about the series' inspirations, how the new Hunter character's customization will work, and how the heros will tackle mystical enemies with help from Doctor Strange. Joining the fight is Captain America, Magik, Niko, Ghost Rider, Blade, Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Wolverine and others to be named at a later date.

XCOM2 community hoping for the next iteration and all they announce is a Marvel reskinned XCOM-like. Bah. Meh.

People got hopeful/excited because of the XCOM2 ending scene (I did), it may have hinted where the series will/would be heading in the next game installment. I won't spoil the final scene here in case you, dear member, didn't play the game or didn't care to see the ending, but I'm pretty sure that such scene is not a secret to anyone anymore.

So five and a half years have passed since XCOM2 release and they threw an elephant-sized bucket of cold water on the people expecting a sequel… Gu-reat. Bah. Meh.

Did I say 'Meh' already?

I'm hopeful that XCOM 3 is in development in secret. Maybe this game will help Firaxis iterate on their design but we should have an XCOM 3 by now already so yeah - not ideal.

Just about every single Marvel game that's existed has been terrible, I've no hope that this one will break that trend.

That's silly. Marvel games are usually terrible because they're made by terrible developers. Firaxis is not a terrible developer. Them having made the XCom games will have a whole lot more to do with how good this turns out than the fact that it's a Marvel game.

I don't get the reaction, which was exactly the same the last time this game was brought up on this forum. Were you really that keen for XCom 3? I've never seen anyone mention it except in contrast to this game you apparently really don't want.

XCom is practically a superhero game as it is. This will be good. If you can get over the superficial branding of why people have crazy powers, you'll probably enjoy this too.

I never said otherwise I'm sure I'll enjoy playing it.:)
That's silly. Marvel games are usually terrible because they're made by terrible developers. Firaxis is not a terrible developer. Them having made the XCom games will have a whole lot more to do with how good this turns out than the fact that it's a Marvel game.
Damn straight it's like Warhammer they give the IP to any third rate developer.

On the topic of Marvel the developers of Dues EX Eidos Montreal are making a Guardians of the Galaxy game. I've seen some good footage to assume it will be good.

Both of theses games still are not RPGs though.
I'm hopeful that XCOM 3 is in development in secret. Maybe this game will help Firaxis iterate on their design but we should have an XCOM 3 by now already so yeah - not ideal.
I'm sure they will one day but they want to make other games as well.

What I have to get over is that Minuteman isn't likely to be there.

Firaxis is not a terrible developer. Them having made the XCom games will have a whole lot more to do with how good this turns out than the fact that it's a Marvel game.

Firaxis developed two excellent X-COM titles, but if their last game is anything to go by, this may be a flop. Chimera Squad was a major disappointment.

XCom is practically a superhero game as it is. This will be good. If you can get over the superficial branding of why people have crazy powers, you'll probably enjoy this too.

Yes! I agree. I can totally see an X-COM-like squad of superheroes. Anyway, I am not a big Marvel stuff fan (always hated underwear-over-the-pants characters), but I think it will be nice to have a different flavour of the game for a change.

Anybody.

And I quote people all the time, Couch. :)

Well, I'm keen for XCOM3. It's almost certain it's being developed and I hoped that they could announce it now, even if the release date was next year.

But enough rambling here, this thread is not about XCOM3. I'll refrain from derail it once again.

No, not really. From what Jake Solomon said, it's more like a TB Mass Effect. He has said that that the TB part doesn't play anything like XCom. And between missions you will go back to your base (like the Normandy in Mass Effect) and interaction with your team members. That's nothing like XCom.

Back
Top Bottom