Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - Retrospective Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
CreamyClaws looks back at the action adventure Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain:

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain Retrospective | A Vampire's Downfall

Today I'll be covering a hidden gem in the criminally underrated Legacy of Kain series: the first game, Blood Omen. This is a 2D open world Zelda style action adventure RPG type thing that drops a lot of philosophical references and has a lot of mature themes and top-shelf voice acting.

More information.

This game is a hidden gem that is a real masterpiece especially for the time period when it came out. I agree with everything this reviewer has presented. :)

Best KAIN game of all time and is absolutely MUSTPLAY™ MUSTHAVE©!!!

Thanks for the reminder on Deadhaus Sonata. Forgot about it. And apparently it's very close to release? I just saw the 10th of July post saying they're close. I'm curious.

I liked Blood Omen very much, but I can't say it's the best LOK game. Soul Reaver 2 was the first one I had any real contact with. I had no frikkin idea what was happening in that story, but somehow found it entrancing. It's probably the absolutely genius voice actors.

I then went back and played all of the other ones. But I can't really name one as the best. Love them all as one. Blood Omen 2, though, is probably the worst. As for the best it's probably a toss-up between Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance.

And man, the puzzles were a real mind-fuck in Soul Reaver 1 and 2.

Anyways, what a fantastic series. Too bad it's gone. I keep getting back to it every couple of years, and have a sad moment when I realize it probably won't return. Especially since Tony Jay, the voice of the Elder God, is gone. Sad.

I also had that the games are a pain to play on PC. They've always been very console games. Especially with controls. And the attrocious save system via checkpoints with regenerating foes.

Blood Omen is the best of the series to me, and, surprisingly, I had the joy of playing it at launch, before Soul Reaver existed.

Blood Omen's ambiance and atmosphere was rivaled by none at that time and, even nowadays, the art direction is still very good.

Not only that, voice acting and storytelling were extremely strong. To this day, it remains one of my favourite games, and, to me, Kain is the best game protagonist ever.

A real shame that no single player, story driven Blood Omen was released after Defiance, as the story is not over yet.

Back
Top Bottom