Windows 9 is actually revealed as Windows 10

a big improvement to the command prompt: it now supports paste.

This would have been nice for me but I moved on to ConsoleZ which has tabs and easy copy/paste mappings. Easy to map Ctrl+V to paste if you want that. Also supports dynamic resizing of the console which is cool and supports other shells like powershell or apps like python repl directly. If they can make Command Prompt this easy to use out of the box then I would be happy.

That whole "Metro" look is terrible. Looks like a nightmare taking place in a toy store full of evil square monsters.

I think the new look is okay although i wonder if this will be one more failure for Microsoft. Propably not. Im expecting this new windows to be a moderate success since it contains nothing that is a total screw up.

I think the new look is okay although i wonder if this will be one more failure for Microsoft. Propably not. Im expecting this new windows to be a moderate success since it contains nothing that is a total screw up.

Given that Microsoft has (a) failed (again) on Mobile Phones (b) written off more than $1 billion on the underwhelming Surface line which still has no traction and (c) is continuing to lose ground every quarter in terms of Market share (last quarter computer sales were up - because of the Mac and Chromebook ... PC salesw were down as usual) ... I think Microsoft is only holding off even more massive layoffs due to entrenched installs at corporations ...

If no one wants to brave himself and install it then I will on my secondary laptop.

I will install it on my laptop definetly, but currently can't find enough time to play with it thoroughly. :(

Honestly I don't understand why anyone would want those big ugly tiles there, which on top of that are just an excuse for Microsoft to push for more of their vertically integrated services.

For whats worth, I have an alergia on social networks and the first thing I'll do will be removal of that ugly oversized facebook symbol from UI.
Yuck!!!

But if we can add instaopening RPGwatch in browser there, well, I'm adding that. :D

One really, really, really, bad thing I have noticed over the recent months is that web pages began to look like tiles, too ! : Bigger fonts (as if IO wasn't able to read without an magnifying glass), one colour, tile-like outline ... Bah !

Besides, one commentator wrote in "my" newspaper : "Microsoft cannot count".

Interesting is, that always the uneven versions were good ones, meanwhile the even-numbered versions were bad ones.

And now they use an even number as the version number ... It's as if they'd try to forcibly fight this "numbering scheme" ...

Apparently the 9 was skipped because of too much old software checking which OS version is there by just the first number, thus the code would mix win 9 with win95 or win98.

That actually sounds reasonable, but what if you still have Windoze 1.1??!! :)

That's actually great if the start menu is so customizable, and also that it's built with a lot of privacy options in mind.

However it's pretty sad that now Microsoft has to cherry pick the best features of start menu mods from the likes of Classic Shell and Stardock in order to deliver a functional interface.

After reading this article, seems like many 'selling points' of Win10 are simply the return of UI elements they declared dead with Win8. Hopefully Win10 will be a success because like them or not, it's good to have more choices not less and I wouldn't want to see MS go away.

Warning, the preview has a "surprise"

http://beta.slashdot.org/story/208101

From WinBeta: "One of the more interesting bits of data the company is collecting is text entered. Some are calling this a keylogger within the Windows 10 Technical Preview, which isn't good news. Taking a closer look at the Privacy Policy for the Windows Insider Program, it looks like Microsoft may be collecting a lot more feedback from you behind the scenes. Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage." This isn't the only thing Microsoft is collecting from Insider Program participants. According to the Privacy Policy, the company is collecting things like text inputted into the operating system, the details of any/all files on your system, voice input and program information.

No way, to hell with that. A keylogger, and everything you do in the OS is logged. That's crazy. I hope they're hit with a lawsuit.

You have to be so vigilant with privacy these days. It is something that is sacred to me, and I have every intention to warn fellow Watchers whenever they encounter such a risk and show them how to fight back.

Honestly I have nothing to hide nor I really care what they'll see on my PC...
As long as it's not my credit card data and as long as it's not used or sold to 3rd party companies to generate spam in my mailbox.

It sets a horrendous precedent, and deserves to be called out and criticized. I don't want this like I don't want a camera watching me and my wife 24/7 in my home.

Soon people need private mode just to use their own computer privately like the browsers have them now. Is it a personal computer anymore if everything you do is public to the whole world?

Soon people need private mode just to use their own computer privately like the browsers have them now. Is it a personal computer anymore if everything you do is public to the whole world?

Private mode in a browser does only one thing, and that's not accumulating a browser history for someone else to find. That's it. It doesn't accumulate cookies, but you're tracked anyway due to your browser agent. Almost anyone has a unique browser agent due to your computer's unique configuration. A myriad of web tracking agencies, and entities like Google and Facebook who have ad networks and social media buttons everywhere track everything you do as well, and tie it all to you. Your ISP in most countries builds up a log of every website you visit as well. For instance in the US many ISPs do that and interject their own third party apps in the webpages you visit, and in Canada Bell has modified its terms of use so that users are tracked without any recourse, though the truth is they and the other major incumbent ISPs did that illegally for years.

The only solution is to use something like the Tor Browser or the Epic Browser, and compartmentalize your Internet use: one regular browser where you have your regular Internet activities, and one private browser with a properly cloaked IP for anonymous Internet use.

I use a VPN because I think it's no business of my ISP to build up a log of everything my family does, and I do the same thing with any web ad or social tracker because I don't agree to being tracked without my permission by shadowy entities making profit off our back and acting like Big Brother.

If we don't speak out, if we don't take measures to tell them to leave us the hell alone, they will keep moving the goal posts until people have zero privacy left. I am happy however that with the Snowden revelations it is starting to blow up in their faces and their misdeeds are being exposed.

God, you people are as bad as reddit! This monitoring is only the Insider Program which is where you basically beta test it. It makes sense as it helps them to fix the bugs you're testing! There is no indication it will be in the released version and guess what? They did the same damn thing on Win8.

Back
Top Bottom