General News - Top 50 RPGs in 2019

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPS has made a list of the 50 best RPGs, in their opinion, that are still playable today.

Look! A ranking of the 50 best RPGs on PC. I know, you never asked for this, but here it is. It is 100 percent correct, we double-checked. The RPG is a broad and deep sea and fishing out the best games from its characterful waters is no easy task. But we are capable fishers on the good ship RPS, and know when to humanely throw back a tiddler or fight to heave up a monster. Enough of this salty metaphor. Here are the 50 best RPGs you can play on PC today.

Last time we did this we tried to cover the entire history of computer roleplaying games. A daunting task. This time we've given more space to games you can feasibly play today without howling in disgust at low resolutions. In short: we sent a bunch of older games floating away on a slab of ice. Sorry, dad. That's not to say you won't find classics. Some of these RPGs are still more than 20 years old.

As with all of our Best Of features, the scope of the genre is broad rather than narrow. For RPGs, character development is important, as is a world in which you can do more than simply kill. Inventory management is nice, as is a setting that establishes a solid sense of place in which to play the role you inhabit, whether that's wanderer, bandit, farmer, or pyromancer.

There are notes below the write-up for each game, telling you where you can buy it (or download it for free in some cases), as well as links to other articles about each game, and where to look next if you're hankering for something similar.

[...]

1. Dark Souls
2. Divinity: Original Sin 2 (new entry)
3. Baldur's Gate 2
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Dragon Age: Origins
6. Deus Ex
7. The Witcher 3
8. Undertale (new entry)
9. System Shock 2
10. Planescape: Torment
11. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
12. Dark Souls 3 (new entry)
13. Divinity: Original Sin
14. Stardew Valley (new entry)
15. Dwarf Fortress
16. Nier: Automata (new entry)
17. Pillars of Eternity
18. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (new entry)
19. Vampire: Bloodlines
20. NEO Scavenger
21. Skyrim
22. Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
23. Sunless Skies (new entry)
24. Fallout: New Vegas
25. Mount & Blade: Warband (new entry)
26. Legend of Grimrock II
27. Darkest Dungeon
28. Fallout
29. Ultima VII
30. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
31. Banner Saga
32. Anachranox
33. Shadowrun Dragonfall Director's Cut
34. UnReal World
35. Din's Curse
36. ADOM
37. Titan Quest
38. Neverwinter Nights 2
39. Brogue
40. King Of Dragon Pass (new entry)
41. Wasteland 2
42. Avernum: Escape From The Pit
43. Wizardry VIII
44. Kenshi (new entry)
45. Recettear: An Item's Shop Tale
46. Torchlight 2
47. Diablo II
48. Risen
49. Monster Hunter World (new entry)
50. Hand of Fate
51. The game you love.

More information.

What a bizzarely assorted collection of seemingly random games. I could say more but in order to do so I'd have to say everything. At least it's not obviously biased ??? But then without criteria it's difficult to claim anything as 'top' ? A subtle way to sneak in a game made by a mate maybe? Something similarly covert?

A list without gothic 1 or 2 is not a serious one.

A list without Drakensang but with phonegames is even worse.
The worst would be what you mentioned, what I added and then Neo Scavenger on that list.

Oh, wait.

Dark Souls in first as a RPG.. Dwarf Fortress a sim/management game..
No Forza or Football Manager though

At this point, I think it's safe to say than for him the definition of a RPG is any kind of game he likes.

Yeah, the games with strong rpg elements seem to be missing from this list, for the most part. Neither Gothic one or two representing seem a huge failure of some sort, but also good to see some real quality classic products made the list.

A subtle way to sneak in a game made by a mate maybe?

Most likely because…

I was like - UnReal World? Never heard of it.
So I went to Wikipedia. There it's labeled Rogue-like, survival, but if you go to the very bottom of the page there is a mention (and link) to this RPS article.
RPS also says the game is free, but it is actually $10.99 on Steam, with more mentions/links to RPS.

Last edited:
A list without the items I think should be in the list but with the items that I think shouldn't be and are is a joke.

Signed: Every person who ever replied to a Top list thread about any topic.

Yawn.

Yeah, but Nier Automata and Monster Hunter World really are not RPGs. I loved both those games but come on...

Was going to enjoy my morning coffee; throne here we come...

Don’t care about list in general as its completely subjective and no 2 will be alike but DS would be #1 as well, if I were to make a list.

Risen is there, but neither Gothic 2 or Gothic 3 (with comunity patch) are.
That's very odd.

Is this some kind of list picked by Ai depending on internet clicks or something?
Usually i think these lists are stupid anyways because it is so subjective.
Right up there with all of the "death of computer gaming" articles

Come on. Not one Might and Magic game? Seriously?

Back
Top Bottom