Forum Bug Reports and Feature Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably it has been noted before, but the character coding in the page source sometimes doesn't fit to the actual encoding of the text.

The character encoding in the page source is charset=ISO-8859-1 (Western), but the text is in Unicode.

For example in this post https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061631630&postcount=13381 I see something like "Yeah, I’ve thought …".

Edit: Is it possible that the post editor produces unicode but the overall page templates are made for Western?

When I switch to Unicode manually, I see the text correctly.
Yes, if I do that in Chrome it looks a lot better. However if I change the page itself to UTF-8, which should be the same as doing it through Chrome, the results are not the same. It is still a garbled mess.
You can check that by changing the forum template (at the left bottom of the page). By default it is Lapis Watch. If you change that to Amber Watch, it uses UTF-8.

I have a suggestion. RPGDot used to have a top 100 games list based on signed up user votes I believe.
Can we put that in place here ?
Thought about that, but there are a number of things to consider:
1) At RPGDot the system was flawed because there were many people, just rating it with a 1 or a 10.
This can be prevented by only allowing people to rate games when they have a minimum amount of votes.

2) A rating without a comment is not helpful.
I don't want to add the comment to the rating, but want to integrate the comment to the forums. to facilitate discussing the game.

This isn't impossible, but I don't want to do that using this forum software anymore.

Thought about that, but there are a number of things to consider:
1) At RPGDot the system was flawed because there were many people, just rating it with a 1 or a 10.
This can be prevented by only allowing people to rate games when they have a minimum amount of votes.

2) A rating without a comment is not helpful.
I don't want to add the comment to the rating, but want to integrate the comment to the forums. to facilitate discussing the game.

This isn't impossible, but I don't want to do that using this forum software anymore.
What about just an up or downvote and only for people with a minimum of 10 forum posts?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Might be something interesting to look at on the future software. I wonder if it might work to restrict the ratings to a sort of members' voting academy. Doesn't need to be exclusive at all, but just to restrict it to folks who agree to give sensible ratings and meaningful comments, and not the 0/10 hysterics.

We should have a username generator for bots ;)

image.png

(maybe I'm wrong, but...)

We should have a username generator for bots ;)

image.png

(maybe I'm wrong, but...)
Damn true I just love the names. Yet some use brand product names as well.:biggrin:

Just remember some are people paid penny's to create accounts as well.

Myrthos,

Is the "Happy Birthday" thread locked? I can't see the Quick Reply form that's usually located at the end of each page!

Well I'm not Myrthos but the thread is labeled as closed. So yes no one can post.

Oh. I can't imagine that was intentional, so I opened it again.

Can we get the ability to list multiple developers for games. It is becoming increasingly common for AAA particularly.

Two questions related to images.

1) Is it possible to post images in the forums, that enlarge when clicked upon, like the images in the articles? The only alternative I found was to make the image a link to itself (which is a good workaround, just less impressive). From the IMG help page that doesn't seem possible, but I'm asking in case there's another way.

2) I often do this to avoid the extra line between the image or video and caption (like ex. below), it looks good on my browser, but I was wondering… could that render badly on other platform or browsers, because I put the image and the caption on the same line? Do you see that correctly?
{CENTER}{YOUTUBE}OI2iOB8ydGo{/YOUTUBE}{URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2iOB8ydGo"}{B}Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 Vs. Joseph Campbell{/B}{/URL}{/CENTER}
result:

@Redglyph;: We are not going to add any new functionality to the forum software as it will be replaced somewhere in the future.

@Silver;: Obviously everything is possible, but at the moment it is a 1-1 relationship. To make it a 1-n relationship, requires quite a bit of work. So, this is not going to be a quick fix.

@Redglyph;: We are not going to add any new functionality to the forum software as it will be replaced somewhere in the future.
It was more a question on the current functionalities than a change request, I should have posted that elsewhere but didn't deem it worth a thread :)

Wow, a change of forum engine. Are you updating the version or changing completely?

Embedded Youtube videos should now have titles again.

I replaced the old lazyYT script with Lazyframe.js, which uses noembed.com for a consistent API. This is active on the forum already. On the main site it should work for new newsbits. Old newsbit still use lazyYT.

Currently youtube thumbnails are only loaded when they are in view, which speeds up initial page loading time and can reduce bandwidth usage quite a bit, but might be irritating when scrolling.

I could reduce the delay, which is currently at 250ms, which means that if you scroll by a video quickly, the image won't be requested at all. Or I could disable the lazy loading part so all thumbnails on a page are loaded even if they are not needed. Or I could keep it as it is now, for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom