Eschalon Book III is a mess

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
Loved the first two games but this one is just a mess. I already have one area locked out entirely because an NPC went inexplicably hostile on me. With the NPC dead a portal can't trigger so I cannot pass through. I had a conversation with him and he was fine and when I returned he was hostile so I killed him. Otherwise the writing ranges from descent to completely obtuse. My opinion anyway. Thinking of quitting this one. Getting tired of managing food and water supplies everytime I rest to restore Mana. Pretty much 70% of the game is resting in the first few hours anyway waiting for stats that can drive a decent regen. Simply isn't a fun game.

Yeah, while I wouldn't quite go that far in my own description, I do think it is the weakest of the three games and feels the shortest and most uneven overall. I definitely didn't find the dungeon crawling as satisfying or challenging in the last game for whatever reason. The resource management stuff is also certainly a matter of personal taste, but for me I didn't mind that aspect, as it would often add tension and complexity to the choice of where to explore, survival issues etc.

Still, on the whole, it's an aesthetically appealing series for that old school itch and quite simple and accessible to get into. There's probably a tad too much grinding for some players though. I still return to the soundtrack now and again for nostalgia, as I do enjoy Borislav Slavov and Victor Stoyanov's work.

You are right about the soundtrack. The ambient music reminds me of the old Conan movie score when exploring. Perhaps I’m being a bit harsh but that quest bug was confirmed back in 2014. It’s in the first ~3 hours of gameplay and it’s far from minor. I need to confirm whether my game is completely broken before bothering to continue. If there is a crystal down there it’s over.

OK so I used the character editor to get on the other side of the door by editing coordinates. So I'm in and I can get back out so I'll keep playing.

Glad you got passed that issue; nothing worse than a show stopper bug. Keep at it, if you've played and completed the previous two, it's well worth it to round off proceedings by polishing off the third game too.

I tried registering on the forum (again) and I can't get the email confirm. There is NO WAY they don't know it. Just try Googling "eschalon book 3 rockhammer level 2" and look at the hits. 2014-2015 all of it. Its a joke. But whatever I'll keep going. I know there is another big quest bug in the Temple I'll have to watch out for. I'll say this for all the content Vogel gives you where are the bugs in those games?

Careful not to have windows explorer open with the save game directory displayed. Causes the save directory to be deleted. Known as the “DelDir” bug and I ran into that one tonight. Been around since 2012 apparently...

I do recall having a few issues with this when I played, it didn't stop me from finishing the game but I'm fairly certain there were a few areas that I didn't explore completely. After reading all this, not sure I'd ever give this one another shot.

Back
Top Bottom