Drakensang: TDE - TDE English KS Funded

Aubrielle

Noveliste
The Dark Eye - English Kickstarter Funded

Huge news, The Dark Eye fans. A Kickstarter campaign to launch The Dark Eye pen-and-paper materials in English has succeeded massively. According to the campaign's projected timetable, we'll have materials very soon.

<blockquote style="text-align: justify;">If you're a tabletop RPG enthusiast and have always had an interest in Das Schwarze Auge, but you're like me and don't speak a lick of German, then you can celebrate the fact that The Dark Eye English Edition Kickstarter campaign finished successfully this evening at a staggering amount of $147,512 compared to its original goal of $10,000. For now, we can revel in the Quick Start Rules PDF, but we'll have more to consume very soon as the rulebooks will start to debut next month:

The Dark Eye will be supported with an aggressive release schedule.

New rule books, adventures, supplements, and more… everything you’ll need to build an exciting campaign for your adventurers in the uniquely realistic and compelling setting of Aventuria! The Aventurian Bestiary and Aventuria Almanac are especially useful – watch for them coming out soon!

Here are the additional products planned for the next several months:

July 2016 Revelations from Heaven (64-page softcover adventure)

August 2016 Aventurian Bestiary (128-page hardcover sourcebook) and The Vampire of Havena (64-page softcover solo adventure)

September 2016 Aventuria Almanac (240-page hardcover sourcebook with 2 maps), Digest-sized Core Rules (416-page softcover rulebook), and Arivor’s Doom (64-page softcover adventure.

October 2016 Starless Sky (336-page large paperback short story anthology) and Aventuria Adventure Card Game (stand-alone card game, 272 cards, rules, counters, etc.)

November 2016 The White Lake (64-page softcover adventure), Aventuria Map Set (7 maps in different sizes & 1 large poster), and GM Screen (4 panel screen & 48 page sourcebook about taverns)
[/quote]More information.

Last edited:
I'm really interested in how this is perceived by the ginlish speaking PnP community.
Does anyone of you play or plan to play TDE PnP?

I'm really interested in how this is perceived by the ginlish speaking PnP community.
Does anyone of you play or plan to play TDE PnP?

I'd really like to! :) I own all the TDE books currently printed in English…I love the world. If I played, I might like to sketch out some kind of D20/3.5 conversion, just to make it faster/easier to play…

Just that?
*sigh*

Please someone kickstart a project with an aim to buy Drakensang IP from Bigpoint then selling it to a proper singleplayer games oriented company.
We need Drakensang 3!

I don't play PnP games any more, but I'm hoping the success of this might make a single-player TDE based CRPG more likely in the future. I liked what I saw of the TDE ruleset and setting from the Drakensang games and Blackguards….

But only if it's turn-based. The RTwP combat in Drakensang was terrible even compared to other RTwP games.

But only if it's turn-based. The RTwP combat in Drakensang was terrible even compared to other RTwP games.

Same here, tried Drakensang and found the combat in Drakensang clunky, slow with horrible companion AI (compared to DA:O for example).

I don't play PnP games any more, but I'm hoping the success of this might make a single-player TDE based CRPG more likely in the future. I liked what I saw of the TDE ruleset and setting from the Drakensang games and Blackguards….

Same here, tried Drakensang and found the combat in Drakensang clunky, slow with horrible companion AI (compared to DA:O for example).
I disagree as every RPG does not need to be turn-based anymore. Just like random map battles in JRPGs developers used turn-based combat because of budget & limitations.

Now having said that I don't have a preference either way. As I have enjoyed both turn-based and RTwP combat. It's amazing how many still prefer turn-based though.

Which game is that screenshot from?

Must be Drakensang 1, I think, because of the small dragon statue, although the angle is a bit … curious …

Just that?
*sigh*

Please someone kickstart a project with an aim to buy Drakensang IP from Bigpoint then selling it to a proper singleplayer games oriented company.
We need Drakensang 3!
Not really necessary though. I mean Drakensang itself doesn't really bring anything new so to say. Everything found in Drakensang can be found in the TDE license alone. So not really necessary to pick up this name which was beaten into the mud with this online hack and slay anyways.

I disagree as every RPG does not need to be turn-based anymore. Just like random map battles in JRPGs developers used turn-based combat because of budget & limitations.

Now having said that I don't have a preference either way. As I have enjoyed both turn-based and RTwP combat. It's amazing how many still prefer turn-based though.

I'd also prefer to have it turn based. RTwP in my eyes is still more of a hassle than of help if you play on highest difficulty at least. That said I wouldn't say that the Drakensang Combat was worse than in other games. It had just different weaknesses. Like the aggro and "tailing" system which didn't work at all. If you just moved one single character in combat everyone was running around like crazy due to being "connected" with threat and no penalty for moving.
But it felt more balanced than let's say Dragon Age. And also the AI was better and the exploits less apparent.

The headline here is actually a bit misleading. As far as I can tell this has absolutely nothing to do with Drakensang but it's just a project to translate The Dark Eye PnP RPG stuff to English.

The Drakensang content that was the backdrop of the CRPG is only a minuscule tiny little fraction of the TDE setting. Drakensang itself is actually just a small mountainous region within the huge TDE world of Aventuria.

Lookie here for a small Drakensang regional map and also here for a map of the larger "Mittelreich" region where you can find the city of Ferdok near the top center of the map. That's where Drakensang took place.

If you follow the river to the south from Ferdok then you can see a mountainous area called "Amboss" (english = anvil). That is where the actual mount Drakensang is located.

Now check here for an Aventuria world map to get an idea of the scale. You can find Ferdok and the Amboss region near the center and a bit off to the SW.
Further links to maps here if you are interested in snooping around Aventuria a bit more :) .

I'm curious to know what the participation rate for PnP role playing games is these days. There are so many other digital alternatives available, and the butthurt generation seems permanently attached to their tablets. :p

Huh. I thought Drakensang's combat was a lot of fun. I love RTwP. It's probably my favorite combat style overall.

Good news about this KS, though. Hopefully more RPG games get made using this system. I adored the system in both Drakensang and Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny remake. Love when character building includes negative traits such as Claustrophobia, Fear of Undead, Susceptible to Anger, etc. :)

The headline here is actually a bit misleading. As far as I can tell this has absolutely nothing to do with Drakensang but it's just a project to translate The Dark Eye PnP RPG stuff to English.
Oh, right! How did I miss that? Actually it's more than a bit misleading. ;)

@Aubrielle, it should indeed be corrected. :)

Further links to maps here if you are interested in snooping around Aventuria a bit more :) .
If you really want to snoop around, take a look at the DereGlobus project (Dere = name of the "planet" Aventuria lies on). It's spectacular GoogleEarth overlay. Might be a bit difficult for non german speakers, but check out this (5 y/o) video for an impression:

https://vimeo.com/28553300

Ah, okay. I guess I thought that Drakensang: The Dark Eye was kind of a general category, but I'll classify it as RPG General News instead.

Wow, didn't know about that one.

But that's actually one thing lots of people don't like about TDE: If you come to a random town there is a decent chance that you can read up on the 300 year past of the Town hall, and the affairs of a random vendor. ^^

But that's actually one thing lots of people don't like about TDE: If you come to a random town there is a decent chance that you can read up on the 300 year past of the Town hall, and the affairs of a random vendor. ^^

There are people that don't like that? That's kinda one thing I really like about The Dark Eye in general. The lore is so rich!

There are people that don't like that? That's kinda one thing I really like about The Dark Eye in general. The lore is so rich!
It depends on your group's playing style especially when it's not homogenous. When the heros come to a town and the game master starts to improvise some things then it might happen that a player speaks up and says that this contradicts some source book or novel or whatever. ;)

And more generally: if a setting is elaborated in detail, there's not that much room for your own ideas.

I personally like TDE setting very very much. I think it still leaves enough room for own ideas and it's great that you have a lot of background lore to increase immersion easily.

Back
Top Bottom