South Park - Preview @ CraveOnline

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
CraveOnline has posted a new preview of South Park: The Stick of Truth based off a demo from the NYCC 2013.

Our first stop at New York Comic Con 2013 could not have been more fitting. Ubisoft’s massive booth stared convention-goers dead in the face as you hit the show floor. Lines gathered quickly around the two main attractions, including the smaller structure where we had the chance to check out a ten minute gameplay video of Obsidian Entertainment’s upcoming RPG South Park: The Stick of Truth.

For those of us who endured the 1998 N64 game based on the show, this is a welcome relief. Writers and creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker aren’t just looking to make a quick buck this time around. They are fully committed to producing a quality game that not only embraces their off color brand of comedy, but also celebrates (and pokes fun at) the long history of role playing games.

Our preview ran through an early section of the game where the player, as “the new kid,” sets out on a mission with a few of the main characters from the show. The boys wind up face to face with a series of RPG tropes including a bard, the tavern at the inn and a handful of elven archers. This would normally seem all too typical if it weren’t wrapped in the South Park art style and sense of humor.
More information.

I hate to say it, and maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see a lot of interest for this game outside of the smaller cult of followers who still watch/enjoy South Park. I hope it does well, only because it's Obsidian, but I have heard no one listing it in their "games I want in 2014", or even talking about it for that matter.

I hope it does well, only because it's Obsidian, but I have heard no one listing it in their "games I want in 2014", or even talking about it for that matter.

Obsidian have already been paid for making the game though, the success only impact any possible "bonus" they might have signed in their contract.

I want it, haven't watched the show in like 4 years but the gameplay looks good to me, South Park or no South Park.

"smaller cults"? Cults are usually not millions of people. The show would be dead since long if it just had a couple of thousand fans.. I've seen people here who anticipate it, me included :)

Roughly 4 million people watch it, myself included. I guess that isn't a cult following, so I stand corrected with my use of the word. That said, I haven't really found it all that funny in about 5 years— certainly not enough to drop $60 on a game laced with fart jokes.

I think the cartoon appeals to an aging segment of folks, many of whom have been watching it for the last 16 years. I know very few teens who watch it and/or like it, and that's a huge Xbox/PS4 segment of buyers.

They would need 25% of viewers who watch the show to buy it for it not to be a flop— 1 million sale across all platforms. I would be surprised if they got that, but I have been wrong before.

Roughly 4 million people watch it, myself included. I guess that isn't a cult following, so I stand corrected with my use of the word. That said, I haven't really found it all that funny in about 5 years— certainly not enough to drop $60 on a game laced with fart jokes. .

Why do you still watch it if you don't find it funny?

Personally, I still think it's as funny as ever, and I thought some of the episodes were great last season.

"Not all that funny" != "Not funny at all"

Personally, I caught about 10 episodes before getting bored with the endless repetition. It was like a zillion varities of an identical joke.

I guess it didn't help that I despised the art style.

But I suspect it might be a lot more fun if you're a US resident, as it tends to be mostly about ridiculing US society, IIRC.

However, even if I found it to be the best cartoon satire in the world - I still couldn't see myself playing a game based on it, much less an RPG.

But I suspect it might be a lot more fun if you're a US resident, as it tends to be mostly about ridiculing US society, IIRC.

Oh definitely. In fact I've always been somewhat surprised that South Park manages to be as popular as it is in some other countries. Most of the jokes/parodies revolve around US culture and television, and I could see how a lot of it wouldn't be as funny to people outside of NA.

Some non-US people enjoy US bashing a lot :)

Personally, I find it particularly tragic that satire is the only accepted way to criticise oneself based on very real issues.

That's not a US thing, though - it's universal.

We get a lot of US culture & tv in the UK, plus there's a lot of ways we're not really that different. I like south park as well, if anything I think it's upped its game again the last few seasons, it did go off the boil a bit around season 12 or so (I think).

I'm really looking forward to this game, and hopefully it'll expose a lot of people who don't normally play RPGs to the genre and to obsidian.

Back
Top Bottom