Risen Completed the game - random thoughts

She's in the Bandit camp, with the guy who grows the swampweed.

Or by Severin if you told the novices in the farm about her and not Jan.

And I think that the important thing is that she was never a fighter, never possessed by 'swirling destiny', and was happy to make a new peaceful life for herself.

Finally! I can now get back to work after being glued to the screen for 5 days. Great game through and through (minus intro/outro). Certainly one of the best rpgs I've played in recent times. I'm actually surprised about the small development team in the credits at the end. They must have struck productivity gold! :)

Last edited:
Review

I finished the game today and thought I should give my review

I give the game a 6 out of 10 which on my book means worth playing.

The setting of the game wasnt my favourite, a small island with a caribbean feel lost in the middle of the world controlled my a religious order. I frowned initially but its a change from the usual full medieval setting.

The scenarios were masterfully done, very immersive and with lots attention to detail. This is what makes this game in my opinion. Its the polish on small things such as gnomes checking on chests, the life on harbour town, the casual abandoned cart you would find with a interesting arrengement of objects that kept me playing.

The plot was avarage but a bit different from the usual. The parts I enjoyed the most was the initial shipwreck til choosing a faction and then the bandit camp. The Steelbeard treasure quest line was good. I liked as well investigating who commited the murder at the monastery.

The characters were avarage at best… The only one I enjoyed was Brogar, Mendonza, Romanov and Erikson from the full cast. The dialogues were sometimes weird and whats the point of having dialogue selection if most of the times you only have 1 option to choose from. Bad.

No initial character creation also gets a minus from me. Character development was very poor.. basically you pick one atributte one or two atributtes and your main weapon and thats it… I just stacked Magic bullet and mana really. It didnt had level up thrill some games have, I would find myself with 50 lp at times.

The combat was very good from the beginning to chapter 3, then it went downhill for me from the repetiveness of the encounters and from the fact that as a mage I had to chug a potion after killing 2 enemies everytime… I had lvl 10 magic crystal and combat was all about spamming it.. Still good combat mechanics overall. Perhaps would be more enjoyabe if I stayed melee but then… all those fodder encounters on chapter 4… *cringe*
I ve played much worse and better, still a positive experience despite having to force myself through chapter 4..

Back
Top Bottom