Keep 3080Ti EVGA FTW or Asrock 6800XT Taichi OC edition r buy 6900XT AIB OC?

Tactician

Watchdog
A question for video card gurus. I have two cards, a 3080 TIE VGA FTW Ultra gaming and an Asrock.6800 X Taichi OC, which do I keep, or get rid of both and get a 6900 XT AIB OC.

The biggest issue for me is that I need to keep the heat low using the card for work all day in the small office generates too much heat. So I must keep that as the most important factor. I already have the 3080 Ti which is the top performer. Well, how much can the heat for it be reduced? the GPU temperatures can be lowered with undervolting, but what about the VRAM and the hot spots? Are there any other methods to cool down a 3080TI without voiding warranty that'll keep the heat similar to a 6900 XT?

And I thought if I was going to keep any of the Radeon cards, I want to keep the card for like 5 years. How are they going to deal with Raytracing, right? Raytracing performance is pretty poor right now. And more and more games will probably have it. I don't even know how useful it's going to be.

All we know now is that AMD FSR will help. With the FPS for ray tracing.
But the question is will it be implemented on MOST games in the next few years?
For right now there is a little optimization software that can be used to get some more frames per second with ray tracing.
And that is the Sapphire Trixx Boost Software which I believe would take an Ultra HD resolution and play the game with a little bit lower resolution Automatically, but it will increase the framerate.
Which is fine, but you're only getting like 6 to 8 or 9 Frame rate increases, which will not help in certain games that are really slow with ray tracing.

So those are my big questions. Do I keep the 3080Ti, can I keep the heat output low enough or not? Will retracing problems be able overcome in the future with the 6000 series AMD cards? Anybody have any good tips or thoughts on this? Which one would be the best?

All of those options sound pretty overpriced imo. Although it's hard to tell just how overpriced given the timeline on when you bought your card(s).

DLSS/Raytracing are overhyped Nvidia selling points; too little support. And as far as heat is concerned, Nvidia's "gddr6x" RAM runs obnoxiously hot. In my research to decide between a 3070 and 3070ti, I saw benchmarks where the entire system was drawing ~150W more on the gddr6x variant (for 6% performance gain). All that extra power adds more heat.

I need to keep the heat low using the card for work all day in the small office generates too much heat.
What kind of work? Is the lack of VRAM on the 3080ti a factor for it? I don't see how those cards aren't overkill for anything work-related unless you're doing video editing (in which case a 3090 or AMD card would better suit you).

Well, since you said heat has to be the most important factor then raytracing doesn’t really matter. I disagree with drithius however, raytracing is here to stay and if you want to keep the card for 5 years will be a factor.

Unless you plan to continuously pour liquid nitrogen over your components. :biggrin: Any cooling system will exhaust heat. Air cooling exhaust heat from components, water cooling exhausts heat from a radiator and phase change will exhaust heat from a compressor.

I think you already have your answer, undervolt the 3080ti and see if the heat is acceptable. If not go AMD.

I personally only care about FPS and pretty graphics so if it were me I’d keep the 3080ti and work naked. ;)

Well, since you said heat has to be the most important factor then raytracing doesn't really matter. I disagree with drithius however, raytracing is here to stay and if you want to keep the card for 5 years will be a factor.

I agree. Ray tracing seemed kind of gimmicky at first, but quite a few games have adopted it, and I think we'll be seeing it in the majority of AAA games in the near future.

That doesn't mean you'll have to use it, but I think the visual upgrade is worthwhile if you're into graphics at all.

@Tactician; As far as the heat is concerned, are you worried about the system itself or is this more about personal comfort?

All of those options sound pretty overpriced imo. Although it's hard to tell just how overpriced given the timeline on when you bought your card(s).

DLSS/Raytracing are overhyped Nvidia selling points; too little support. And as far as heat is concerned, Nvidia's "gddr6x" RAM runs obnoxiously hot. In my research to decide between a 3070 and 3070ti, I saw benchmarks where the entire system was drawing ~150W more on the gddr6x variant (for 6% performance gain). All that extra power adds more heat.

What kind of work? Is the lack of VRAM on the 3080ti a factor for it? I don't see how those cards aren't overkill for anything work-related unless you're doing video editing (in which case a 3090 or AMD card would better suit you).
Drithius, do a bit of graphics and design work, as well as ecomm. Also play video games but not a ton of AAA games, just Elex, Cyberpunk 2077, Uncharted, Tomb Raider etc.

Yes the 3080Ti has 12 GBVRAM compared to 16GB in the AMDs. But the 12GB should be enough I think for 5 years-ish.

LOL, The heat and humidity gets very difficult to work with in the summer. Maybe I found a heat fix for the EVGA 3000 rtx series cards, the EVGA HYBRID Kit for EVGA GeForce RTX 3090/3080 Ti/3080 FTW3 liquid hybrid cooler,
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-1988-B1

Well, since you said heat has to be the most important factor then raytracing doesn’t really matter. I disagree with drithius however, raytracing is here to stay and if you want to keep the card for 5 years will be a factor.

Unless you plan to continuously pour liquid nitrogen over your components. :biggrin: Any cooling system will exhaust heat. Air cooling exhaust heat from components, water cooling exhausts heat from a radiator and phase change will exhaust heat from a compressor.

I think you already have your answer, undervolt the 3080ti and see if the heat is acceptable. If not go AMD.

I personally only care about FPS and pretty graphics so if it were me I’d keep the 3080ti and work naked. ;)

I think what you're looking for is an air conditioner. :p

The point of a GPU cooler is to get the heat off the card and into the room.

Idle temps are idle temps, anyway. If you're working they're probably gonna stay pretty cool.

Gaming they're probably all gonna get to 85C if you push them hard enough. Maybe limit the FPS or something.

Back
Top Bottom