Skyrim - Live Action Trailer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I've never really understood live action trailers but Bethsoft has released one for Skyrim, replete with a "real" dragon.
While we're talking Skyrim, Alrik writes in with an interview clip from Art Director Matt Carofano that NowGamer has used to create a senationalist - but rather obvious - headline. Matt on why Skyrim is "Bound To Include Bugs":
"We’ve started play testing the game much earlier and the entire team tests the whole game and we’re dedicated to getting rid of as many bugs as we can," Carofano told s in an interview. "At the same time we realise it’s a huge open world and there’s almost an infinite number of situations you can get into so there’s going to be some stuff we wished we could’ve fixed but we’ll be very dedicated to making sure it’s the best it can possibly be."
More information.

This is kind of obvious IMO.

It's one thing to exhaustively QA test a 5-10 hour game, but it's something else entirely to do this with a game that lasts hundreds of hours, even continuing indefinitely as long as you want to keep playing by virtue of respawning dungeons and Radiant Story quests.

Certainly there will be bugs. Fortunately, it seems the dev team has learned a lot from past experience with previous open world games as they mentioned they have taken extra care to avoid certain pitfalls, such as the "a-bomb" bug from Oblivion.

Last edited:
Hrm, is it just me or did the Dragonborn look a bit puny! Also, what was in that bucket that fell on the fire to make the flames shoot up? {Just seems odd that a bucket of flammable liquid would be sitting next to a fire, and not water!}

Still though, not a bad trailer, but once again... Geebus Bethesda, its only 2.5 weeks from release and still no video or screenshots of the Damned PC version! What gives!!!

Interesting, the 2nd image of the mountain range you can tell is really nice, but the other 2 are from a distance and its difficult to see any of the expected higher rez PC details. I wanna see characters and NPCs, or just a flat out PC~Only trailer.

I don't really care about being able to compare with the 360 ver, as I don't own a 360, nor would ever buy or play such a game on the console, but it would be nice to see the dern PC ver. Even though we already know it'll be far superior.

*Bethesda must be getting paid a ton of money by Microsoft to only advertise the 360 ver.*

Agreed that showing npcs on the PC version will be the real test. I was never really worried about the environments.

Are we seriously worried about the graphics here? I think they look far superior to the other current rpg's comming out.

Not at all worried about the Graphics, I just wanna see the damned PC version. Why won't they show it Damnit!!!

Well while that is fairly cool, man it's sad that marketing sells games now not well made games.

Bethesda must have one heck of a large marketing budget to be able to make that.

Not at all worried about the Graphics, I just wanna see the damned PC version. Why won't they show it Damnit!!!

Because PC is no longer the target market. The money is on the consoles and Bethesday is following the money.

Are we seriously worried about the graphics here? I think they look far superior to the other current rpg's comming out.

For the NPCs? Yes, based on past experience of TES games. I can't go by pre-release screen shots either since the ones for both Morrowind and Oblivion made them look better than what we actually ended up with in-game.

Modders will probably fix any shortcomings, but still it seems odd they are releasing only landscape shots from the PC which mostly feature views at a distance.

Because PC is no longer the target market. The money is on the consoles and Bethesday is following the money.

In the US at least, so far the Skyrim PC version seems to be selling almost as much if not more than the PS3 version.

PS3 copies @ 288,477
PC retail copies @ 153,263

As PC digital download sales are generally supposed to be much higher than PC retail sales for most titles, it seems likely that there are already more total PC pre-orders than PS3 pre-orders.

In the US at least, so far the Skyrim PC version seems to be selling almost as much if not more than the PS3 version.

PS3 copies @ 288,477

As PC digital download sales are generally supposed to be much higher than PC retail sales for most titles, it seems likely that there are already more total PC pre-orders than PS3 pre-orders.

Hmm why use the ps3 as the console of choice here? I bet the Xbox numbers dwarf the pc and ps3 numbers combined.

Also, oblivion was released a long time back, they have released fallout since then. Compared to the recent pc risen 2 video we have seen, skyrim even on the xbox looks way ahead.

Not a fan of live action trailers for games, and especially not ones with bad CGI dragons.

PS3 copies @ 288,477

What are those numbers based on?

Honestly, corporations may make plenty of mistakes but they can count - if the PC was really an "almost equal" platform, Bethsoft would direct their marketing that way.

Like I said in a different thread, if you're going to do a Live Action trailer then at least do it well, like this one. Bioware have a lot to learn from this, albeit the budgets are probably massively different.

Don't blame them for focusing on consoles - console players buy a lot more of their games than PC players do. There may be more of us, but it seems many of us don't like the idea of paying for games (which is a problem that affects consoles too, but to nothing like the same extent.)

For the NPCs? Yes, based on past experience of TES games. I can't go by pre-release screen shots either since the ones for both Morrowind and Oblivion made them look better than what we actually ended up with in-game.

Modders will probably fix any shortcomings, but still it seems odd they are releasing only landscape shots from the PC which mostly feature views at a distance.

View distance is the one thing, maybe the only thing, that should differ the PC version from the console version, so in a way it's the right choice of screens.. It could also mean that the textures arent that hi-res for PC and that they dont want that to turn into a shit storm right before release..

About the NPC's i think they fixed that issue in FO3 and it seems to have improved since then, so i'm not that worried. I'm more worried that the lanscape will get repeative and bland quickly, like in Oblivion..

About the NPC's i think they fixed that issue in FO3 and it seems to have improved since then, so i'm not that worried. I'm more worried that the lanscape will get repeative and bland quickly, like in Oblivion..

The npcs were better in FO3/NV but still not wonderful IMO. The rather difficult to obtain Fallout New Vegas Redesigned does make a world of difference though. With it I would say they're nearly on par with The Witcher 2.

At this point I'm expecting better but not perfect npcs which modders will further improve so I suppose that's fine. Some of the armor I've seen in (360) screen shots looked suspiciously bulky and low poly with lo-res textures though so I imagine an armor replacer may be another mod to look for as well.

On the textures, I don't think they will spend too much extra time and effort making hi-res textures for a limited subset (people with high end systems and video cards) of an audience they already consider to be very limited.

Back
Top Bottom