Latest place you've visited ?

Back from 17 days on Kauai. Highlights of the trip was a road trip up to the Kokee lookout with views of Waimea canyon, and snorkeling at Tunnels Beach. We swam with a sea turtle there.

Very nice :). I've been there twice. Maui is still my favorite Hawaiian island, but Kauai is certainly one of the most beautiful.

I've been to every major Hawaiian island except Molokai. I haven't been there since 2011 though, and I'm starting to get that itch again.

Lanai is really nice, but it's very small, and afaik can only be accessed by boat. I've been there twice - took the ferry from the town of Lahaina on Maui. There's only a single town on Lanai and 2 hotels. The snorkeling is fantastic.

I don't think Nihau is open to tourists.

Didn't Larry Ellison just buy one of them?

Thrasher, that looks really nice. I have been to 48 states, but not Hawaii or Alaska yet. I don't count Hawaii as we stopped there on the way to New Zealand via Sydney for the plane to get gas but I never left the airport. It looked really nice from the air and I always said I wanted to go there one day to visit.

A friend of mine didn't want a big wedding for lots of other people and got married in Hawaii. On the beach. At dawn. On New Year's Day. With jetlag. It was pretty cool, but she did say she was a bit short on sleep by the end of it. :p

Back from 17 days on Kauai. Highlights of the trip was a road trip up to the Kokee lookout with views of Waimea canyon, and snorkeling at Tunnels Beach. We swam with a sea turtle there.

This looks amazing. I have never been to Hawaii or anywhere near it. I'd love to go.

I went to Singapore this weekend. I had tons of fun meeting up with a friend I hadn't seen for 5 years.

On Saturday we went to a spa for a massage. The spa had nice facilities with a jacuzzi, sauna, cold tub .... We first went to the Jacuzzi and then got our massages. That was really good and it's the first time someone walked on my back for a prolonged period of time :D It felt really good.

In the afternoon we just walked around town and in the evening we went to a good Chinese restaurant for some Peking roasted duck. went to a bar afterwards and drank and talked for a bit before going on the Singapore sling, which was quite fun.

Went to sleep by 3.30 in the morning, which i hadn't done in a long time.

On Sunday, I joined him for Judo practice, as he's a teacher and goes every week. That was good but my muscles still ache :(
In the afternoon, we just walked in town and visited the Gardens by the Bay. We wanted to visit the Observation Deck on Marina Bay Sands hotel, but it was closed unfortunately.

We then went to eat at a Korean BBQ place, which was amazing before heading off to India again.

Short and sweet weekend :)

On Saturday we went to a spa for a massage. The spa had nice facilities with a jacuzzi, sauna, cold tub …. We first went to the Jacuzzi and then got our massages. That was really good and it's the first time someone walked on my back for a prolonged period of time :D It felt really good.

Was there an option to pay a little extra and get a happy ending? ;)

Probably the nicest thing about Kauai is the people. The Aloha Spirit is strong there (despite being a center for a separatist movement). Aloha is a big (and much needed) change from the city rat race.

Last edited:
OK, one last funny picture from Duane's Ono Burger. The chickens are a crack up.

21525956049_fb04733f26_o.jpg

o.jpg

Last edited:
I just got back from a week in Oxford, where, coincidentally, we were talking about chickens. :p

I'm currently in Roswell, New Mexico, U.S.A….
20180622_142514.jpg

Yes, the aliens are everywhere these days…
20180622_151742.jpg

I was sitting outside, watching water pile up in the gutters and thinking there must be a water-main break somewhere. After driving several blocks away, I found this…
20180622_135956.jpg

My day in Roswell. :biggrin:

Fun pics.

Last place for me was London for work, but that probably doesn't count.
I will be going to South Africa end of September. Plan is to go to Durban, Port Elizabeth and then towards Cape Town driving. :)

Fun pics.

Last place for me was London for work, but that probably doesn't count.
I will be going to South Africa end of September. Plan is to go to Durban, Port Elizabeth and then towards Cape Town driving. :)

Long drive from Durban to Cape Town! Unbelievably beautiful country, though. Do be a bit careful, especially in the cities - crime is really out of control in some areas.

Long drive from Durban to Cape Town! Unbelievably beautiful country, though. Do be a bit careful, especially in the cities - crime is really out of control in some areas.

Thanks Ripper. Yes, we're not planning to stay in cities much.
We're looking at cheap-ish lodges within or near the national parks for most of it.

Also, not driving all the way from Durban as we won't have time for that. We'll be doing the wetlands & safaris north of Durban for 3-4 days and then fly to Port Elizabeth The drive will essentially be from Addo Elephant Park to Cape Town with a stay at Plettenberg Bay. The penultimate leg will still be a 4-5 hour drive though to Stellenbosch.

Used to live in KZN, north of Durban. Fantastic places to see. I recommend walking safaris if you're reasonably fit. Much cheaper to book such things through the local parks than booking with travel agents.

With the crime, they're very fond of carjacking, so be careful when getting into your vehicle, or people trying to stop you in the road.

Back
Top Bottom