NWN - Have you played it?

"Maybe someday the community will build a RPG engine like NWN2 using this graphics engine"

Xoreos is still in progress, but it needs a ton of additional work to be playable. Too bad it doesn't have more contributing developers. Personally I think it's as meaningful a project as all these Elder Scrolls/Fallout beautification efforts, but it doesn't draw the same amount of attention.

Xoreos is still in progress, but it needs a ton of additional work to be playable. Too bad it doesn't have more contributing developers. Personally I think it's as meaningful a project as all these Elder Scrolls/Fallout beautification efforts, but it doesn't draw the same amount of attention.
Never used it as it's still in Alpha and doesn't work fully.
Currently, the "foundation" work of managing resources, reading many basic file formats, displaying graphics and playing sounds has been done. All targeted games show partial ingame graphics, such as the area geometry and objects, letting you fly around in a "spectator mode". Some games show partial menus, and something resembling a starting point for a script system is there.

No actual "normal" gameplay is implemented yet, though.
Looks like another half-baked project with potential.

I completed the vanilla campaign + the original expansions back in the day but ultimately I prefer the combat in the infinity engine games by some margin which I feel is more dynamic and connects much more strongly to the Goldbox classic AD&D heritage. The lack of a full proper party is another of its weaknesses for me. NWN 2 certainly improved that aspect but for me it never felt up to the standards set by BG2.

I don't begrudge anyone enjoying NWN though; it has its charms and role-playing wise and character option wise it's quite excellent. I could also see myself getting more into the player modules if given more time and I still haven't completed all of the additional modules from the Diamond Edition. To be honest I didn't buy the enhanced edition either; wasn't sure it was worth it.

Xereos is not meant for anything new, its meant to be an engine to play any and all of Bioware's Aurora and Aurora-like games.

The goal is to have a portable program to play those games even on operating systems those games were never meant to be played on, such as GNU/Linux and Mac OS X.

What we really need is a NWN3 or something like it, with all features of the original, updated a little bit with some of the nice ideas in NWN2 and Dragon Age, etc., but with modern graphics. And the toolset has to be simple to use too without excuses or complications like requiring a local walkmesh. Stuff like that needs to be under the hood and automated.

Xereos is not meant for anything new, its meant to be an engine to play any and all of Bioware's Aurora and Aurora-like games.
To bad it doesn't fully work yet.
What we really need is a NWN3 or something like it, with all features of the original, updated a little bit with some of the nice ideas in NWN2 and Dragon Age, etc., but with modern graphics.
As for NWN 3 doubt anyone will develop it after that Sword Coast Legends failure. Still a new developer has the license now. So I wont say never as you never know.

A new developer? You mean the D&D license or Beamdog?

You don't need a D&D license to make a NWN type game, or any RPG. The name still attracts attention though but WotC would want their cut and Bioware wanted nothing to do with them or Hasbro after the 3 way veto shenanigans that went on.

But the deterrents are a) it doesn't fit in with the revenue models for games that are built these days (although it definitely could), and b) you have to have a developer with the vision.

In the case of NWN, they wanted to build Diablo with the D&D ruleset and envisioned 250k units a month like Diablo 2 was selling. That didn't happen.

A new developer? You mean the D&D license or Beamdog?
Nope not Beamdog as they never owned the IP or License. I can't remember the developer but they announced they have licensed the Dungeons & Dragons Ip.

Update: Found the link.

Link - https://www.tuquegames.com/games/game-2
We're developing a brand-new game based in the widely celebrated, enduring, and immensely popular Dungeons & Dragons universe. This yet to be announced title is steepled in classic D&D lore. We aspire to push this game to new heights for the genre. It’s an honour and a privilege to begin a new chapter for Dungeons & Dragons video games.
This means new D&D games with a new developer that's not Beam-dog.
You don't need a D&D license to make a NWN type game, or any RPG. The name still attracts attention though but WotC would want their cut and Bioware wanted nothing to do with them or Hasbro after the 3 way veto shenanigans that went on.

But the deterrents are a) it doesn't fit in with the revenue models for games that are built these days (although it definitely could), and b) you have to have a developer with the vision.
Yep and like I said above new games that tried have failed terribly. At one point I thought the mod scene for the Original Sin games would be next NWN.

Only to be disappointed not many campaign mods are in development.

I think the closest to NWN has been Arma 3. Those people definitely loved NWN and even referenced it when they made their DM sort of client. Problem is, its a shooter and its meant to be a shooter.

I can't remember the developer but they announced they have licensed the Dungeons & Dragons Ip.

Update: Found the link.

Link - https://www.tuquegames.com/games/game-2

This means new D&D games with a new developer that's not Beam-dog.
Yep and like I said above new games that tried have failed terribly. At one point I thought the mod scene for the Original Sin games would be next NWN.

Only to be disappointed not many campaign mods are in development.

they spelled toque wrong. And in Quebec, a tuque is a chef's hat.

also, their domain certificate is expired, lol.

also, this is their other game

https://store.steampowered.com/app/251230/Livelock/

update

This job site in French

https://espresso-jobs.com/compagnie/18124/tuque-games-inc/&prev=search

is calling it a Dungeons and Dragons CO-OP Action-RPG

I see from their career website they are looking for C++ developers with knowledge of the Unreal Engine. I'm seeing an Epic exclusive in their future.

Last edited:
Not my post but it was a reply to me from another thread.:)
They made the announcement to hire people so the job descriptions are where the tiny info about the game are currently hidden.

They mention "fantasy adventure RPG" and using Unreal 4 for the game. There isn't a single mention of multiplier, co-op or online features in them. Nor is action mentioned.

There is a narrative designer job open that mention quests, in-game barks and banter.

The studio has lofty goals too: become a top AAA independent studio…which won't happens if they make a mobile game or another Sword Coast Legend. They also consider themselves AAA, which suggest they have a big budget for this game (their previous game was not AAA).

edit: they are ~30 people studio right now

I went trough BG2 this year for what I believe is the final time but I am far from done with nwn. Might even give the campaigns a replay again once the mods have been depleted.

Never used it as it's still in Alpha and doesn't work fully.

Right, well my point is it needs developers, not players. If it ever reaches its potential, then the engine will exist to greatly improve the gaming experience and perhaps even develop whole new games.

they spelled toque wrong. And in Quebec, a tuque is a chef's hat.

It's spelled properly. In Quebec, a tuque refers to what Canadians call a beanie (aka a knit cap for Americans), it's what the little dude in their logo is wearing.

Have you played it?
Of course I did.

I wish I was turtured by medieval machines instead. If I'd make some top 10 of worst games ever, NWN would be on it. It still gives me nightmares.

NWN OC is probably the worst D&D PC game I ever played. (I didn't try Sword Coast Legends.) Hordes of the Underdark wasn't bad, though. NWN2 blew it all away in every respect.

Note: modding / user campaigns / multiplayer not included in any of the above. I don't do them.

NWN OC is probably the worst D&D PC game I ever played. (I didn't try Sword Coast Legends.) Hordes of the Underdark wasn't bad, though. NWN2 blew it all away in every respect.

Note: modding / user campaigns / multiplayer not included in any of the above. I don't do them.

I found NWN2 far worse than NWN1 :/ I just hate that engine.

I found NWN2 far worse than NWN1 :/ I just hate that engine.
While I can understand why I can't fully agree with you. The Obsidian Electron Engine is a vast improvement over the BioWare Aurora Engine. Though it has a few problems.

Let's be kind and not even mention Sword Coast in a NWN thread. It's just too much of an insult.
Well it supposed to be a spiritual NWN sequel. Yet the developer managed to mess that up by making you go online to use, and make mods. That was a terrible decision.

Now the servers are gone and buyers are ripped off.:(

It's spelled properly. In Quebec, a tuque refers to what Canadians call a beanie (aka a knit cap for Americans), it's what the little dude in their logo is wearing.

Being from Western Canada I very well know what a toque is. My East Coast friends tried to tell me different and the gal from Trois-Rivierre demanded I didn't know what I was talking about.

bob-and-doug.jpg

Back
Top Bottom