Witcher 2 Issue running the Witcher 2

The Witcher 2

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor
Hello. Since I recently finished the Witcher, I decided it's time to move on to the Witcher 2. However, I'm having some problems getting the game to start and thought maybe someone here might be able to lend some expertise that I don't seem to have. My computer runs 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate. I have ran the Witcher 2 before with absolutely no problems. However, a few weeks ago, my computer got infected with some nasty Malware from a website I visited. I was able to snuff out the Malware using a few different tools, but since then, the Witcher 2 comes up with a Direct X related error every time I try to run it. The message I get is as follows:

witcher 2.exe- Bad image

C:\windows\system32\d3dx9_39.dll is either not designed to run on WIndows or it contains an error. Try installing the game again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

I have reinstalled DirectX 11, found and reinstalled DirectX 9.0c (took some effort to find an installer that wouldn't tell me I already had a newer version of DirectX installed). I also updated my video drivers. I even tried downloading and replacing the individual .dll file in question. I tried reinstalling the game. I tried re-downloading the game from Gog and installing it again. I have gotten this error despite doing all of these. The .dll file is definitely there, and should be in working order considering that I have manually replaced it out of the Direct X files. Thinking maybe something was screwy with my registry from the Malware, I downloaded Windows Registry Repair. It found some issues and claims to have fixed them, but it made no difference when trying to run the game.

Any suggestions? Beyond reinstalling Windows (which I really don't want to do), I don't know what to do.

You might want to post this in the tech help forum as well, get the benefit of all our pros even if they don't play W2 and so don't look at this forum.

I guess you could try a restore point from before you got the virus or run windows repair from windows install disk. Other than that you've tried everything I can think of assuming you already contacted witcher 2 support.

May have to bite the bullet and clean install windows if that doesn't work.

Unfortunately, for some odd reason, I have no restore points from before. I have another computer that I typically reserve for office use, but I might make an exception and use it to play the Witcher 2. I wasn't aware of the tech section, maybe I'll repost it over there.

Hey rosserjensen, this is a bit of a longshot (I've been lucky enough not to have run into any virus-related issues in quite some time so I'm no expert in this area) but you might want to try to launch the game from a different executable. Go to the Witcher 2 executable file found in Program Files/GoG/The Witcher 2/bin (or the bin folder wherever the installation is located) and attempt to launch it from there. My desktop executable stopped working for some reason and this solution worked for me, but my issue was completely different so there is a low chance of this working for you; just thought I'd throw it out there though.

The only other thing I can think of has already been suggested: Because you are dealing with corruption caused by a virus, you may have no choice but to reinstall windows (I had to do this the last time I had a virus related problem). Good luck with your PC issue, those are always frustrating to deal with.

Thanks for the response Nerevarine. I gave it a shot but still have the same problem. It is the only game I have tried to run that hasn't worked…such a strange issue. The game points me towards the direct x .dll I mentioned, but the problem has to be somewhere else because that file should be working and uncorrupted since I have replaced it manually. Oh well. I will save the reinstall for a later date…maybe wait for Windows 8 if it ends up being worthwhile.

Do other directx applications/games run ok? It really sounds like your fix(es) for the malware hosed your directx API. Since you're already tried reinstallation, I'm not really sure what to tell you. If I were in your shoes, and if and only if other games had issues as well, I would be inclined to backup files and do a format/reinstall of windows.

Also, did you reinstall Witcher 2 after the malware was wiped? Or are you using an old install?

To be honest with that kind of nasty malware I wouldn't be at ease before I'd done a clean install of Windows. Also keep in mind that Windows 7 is much faster to install than older versions, still a lot of work but if you calculate the time you've spend now already on fixing the issue it might be on par or even more efficient! ;)

As mentioned before I think you have done all steps possible and it looks like the error is really coming from the core of DirectX.

P.S. Other games might run fine if they don't use the same paths through DirectX to get their renders performed.

Hi everyone new to this forum and was just passing through to try to find a solution to this problem, and you sort of gave me an idea so i had to let you know, i know its an old post i hope its ok.

BUT ! If you are experiencing this nasty "bad image" error that prevents you to play the witcher 2, go to your "programs and feature" panel and remove Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 and 2012 (64 bit or 86 bit just lose them) and then run the "vcredist.exe" file in your TW2 folder, which will reinstall the programs you just deleted except the game will work.

My bet is that some of these Microsoft Visual C++ Software that come with every single sometimes are not compatible ( also i noticed that i had both x64 and x86 of MV C++ 2010 so that might have been it too).

Anyways now it works for me. I hope that helps someone.

Cheers

Hi everyone new to this forum and was just passing through to try to find a solution to this problem, and you sort of gave me an idea so i had to let you know, i know its an old post i hope its ok.

BUT ! If you are experiencing this nasty "bad image" error that prevents you to play the witcher 2, go to your "programs and feature" panel and remove Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 and 2012 (64 bit or 86 bit just lose them) and then run the "vcredist.exe" file in your TW2 folder, which will reinstall the programs you just deleted except the game will work.

My bet is that some of these Microsoft Visual C++ Software that come with every single sometimes are not compatible ( also i noticed that i had both x64 and x86 of MV C++ 2010 so that might have been it too).

Anyways now it works for me. I hope that helps someone.

Cheers

I haven't played the Witcher series yet, but just wanted to say "Thanks!" for posting this. Good info that should help others in the future.

Back
Top Bottom