WoW - Microtransactions Confirmed

...the fact that they've held back for this long is something I'd tend to appreciate rather than bitch about.

I agree. I went for most of my life not kicking small puppies. But that's all behind me and now I kick one every time I get the chance. But I'm a good guy for not having done so for so long. :p

I agree. I went for most of my life not kicking small puppies. But that's all behind me and now I kick one every time I get the chance. But I'm a good guy for not having done so for so long. :p

If the general perception among your "kind" was that you'd need to kick puppies to make a living - and you held back doing that, with the potential of making a very decent living indeed - when everyone else were kicking left and right, then you'd be a "better" guy - wouldn't you?

These things are rarely black and white.

If the general perception among your "kind" was that you'd need to kick puppies to make a living - and you held back doing that, with the potential of making a very decent living indeed - when everyone else were kicking left and right, then you'd be a "better" guy - wouldn't you? These things are rarely black and white.

Your thinking about this too much... I was just making a (perhaps rather bad?) joke.

I assumed he was being sarcastic, since the whole "WoW Killer / going F2P" is sort of a running joke on WoW/MMO forums. Maybe not, though…

yes and no. I am serious in the sense that WoW, like AoL so long ago, is realizing subscription based may not be enough to sustain itself in the future. The F2P model, not invented but perfected by DDO, is the first real dent anyone's seen in WoW's armour.

yes and no. I am serious in the sense that WoW, like AoL so long ago, is realizing subscription based may not be enough to sustain itself in the future. The F2P model, not invented but perfected by DDO, is the first real dent anyone's seen in WoW's armour.

WoW must be the most successful video game of all time, but it can't go on for ever and I don't imagine Blizzard expects it to do so. But at over 8m subscribers that's still hugely lucrative. So I expect Blizzard will just make hay whilst the sun shines.

More interesting perhaps is what they are doing with their Titan project, rumoured to be have been in development since 2007 or earlier, but about which very little is known.

Back
Top Bottom