The Last Remnant - Discontinued on Steam

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Square Enix announced this week they will be discontinuing digital and physical sales of The Last Remnant on PC. So if you haven't bought it yet it's only $9.99.

Link - https://steamcommunity.com/games/23310/announcements/detail/1709566654679120493
Hi everyone,

We will soon be discontinuing digital and physical sales of The Last Remnant on PC. Sales will cease at the times below:-

Japan region: Wednesday 5th September, approximately 2:00 (JST)
NA region: Tuesday 4th September, approximately 10:00(PDT)
EU region: Tuesday 4th September, approximately 17:00(GMT)

Anyone already owning the game will still be able to play as per usual.

Thanks to everyone who’s adventured with the Mitras, Yamas, Qsitis and Sovanis!

Any reason given yet? The theory I last read was that it wasn't going to be compatible with Steam's service change.

People are pushing for a sale on it but just as many are pointing out, "for crying out loud, its ten bucks!"

Even at that price, I don't by jrpg's.

Any reason given yet? The theory I last read was that it wasn't going to be compatible with Steam's service change.

People are pushing for a sale on it but just as many are pointing out, "for crying out loud, its ten bucks!"

Even at that price, I don't by jrpg's.
No reason given just speculation from Steam users.

Normal reason is that license on music expires and it is not economical to renew. I doubt it is a going to be 'incompatible with steam's service change'; wouldn't that apply to many games ?

I would give odds on it being something in the music. It's got to be SOME sort of license.

Last edited:
...or not. I suppose it could be that they want to release a remastered version using Unreal 4 instead of 3.

Or both.

Thanks for the link but it looks like the PS4 version only. So makes no sense.

Errrr....I am pretty sure Zloth's point is that if they are doing a remaster for ps4 that it might be coming for PC as well. A fairly logical assumption.

Errrr….I am pretty sure Zloth's point is that if they are doing a remaster for ps4 that it might be coming for PC as well. A fairly logical assumption.
Yes but the article says this so no I'm not misunderstanding.
Whether fans are rediscovering the magic or hoping to enjoy this classic JRPG for the first time, The Last Remnant Remastered will be digitally available on December 6, exclusively at PlayStation Store.
Maybe a PC release might come at a later date,but we all know by now know that exclusively on a console usually means not for a while. I could be wrong though.

Maybe a PC release might come at a later date,but we all know by now know that exclusively on a console usually means not for a while. I could be wrong though.

Okay, I missed the exclusive bit. It could be then to funnel everyone to the PS store offering which is sad. I'm guessing the "remaster" probably isn't much better graphically than the PC version which already had a much higher resolution than the original console versions.

Probably some guy in an expensive suit made the decision.

Well, that is seriously disappointing to read. An update to the game engine and gameplay would be awesome, but it completely sucks if the upgraded version will be limited to a console. That's a huge marketing decision failure right there.

So they removed it from the PC to make it a PS4 exclusive ? Those sony exec seriously need their head examined. There are enough exclusive ecosystems. Naturally the reason is to lock the consumer into the platform long term. Not for me.

Yep it's official only with the PC release undecided.

Last Remnant Remastered Announced for PS4 Only.

LOS ANGELES, CA (Sept. 11, 2018) – SQUARE ENIX® today announced that THE LAST REMNANT™ Remastered will arrive on PlayStation® for the first time this December, now fully remastered for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system.

Originally released in 2008, THE LAST REMNANT captured the hearts and minds of gamers with its enthralling story, countless characters and intricate battle system. THE LAST REMNANT Remastered features beautifully enhanced graphics enabled by Unreal®Engine 4, allowing for a more immersive and captivating adventure than ever before.

THE LAST REMNANT Remastered tells the story of a world filled with “Remnants” — ancient artefacts that grant mysterious power to their wielders, changing the world’s balance and leading to an era of countless frays between those who ruled, and those who obeyed. Within this war-torn fantasy world, players will follow the journey of a young man who is determined to uncover the truth.

THE LAST REMNANT Remastered will be available digitally via the PlayStation®Network for $19.99. This title is rated M (Mature). Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) website at www.esrb.org for more information about ratings.
Remember it was taken off Steam.

The game was a flop from what I remember. :/ This remastering but only for the PS4 is very bizarre to me.

It was wasted potential by forcing outdated designs aka respawning/grinding/checkpoints.
Exclusivity has nothing with it, could have been one of the best games ever made but no, it just had to be dumbed into less than mediocre rubbish. And because of that, of course it flopped. Not because of xbox.

The game was a flop from what I remember. :/ This remastering but only for the PS4 is very bizarre to me.
Yeah, I thought Square was trying to forget it ever existed. This really surprised me. Though I think the sales on PC weren't too horrible, they were nothing like what would be expected on console.

Here's another possibility: they really do have some sort of license issue so they had to yank the game as is. However, instead of just chucking the whole game, they decided to finally give it its PlayStation release. After all, this was a groundbreaking JRPG that was never released on a JRPG-friendly platform. Maybe somebody finally decided that it needed its chance.

I'll be surprised if it doesn't show up for PC and maybe even Xbox eventually. I can't imagine that it would really cost much to do given they already have a working version in Unreal 3 and did all the work to change engines. It would take very few sales to pay for itself.

Unfortunately, it sounds like it will be a pretty straight-up engine port. Maybe they will fix a few bugs and perhaps plug a few exploits. It doesn't sound like they will be addressing what I see as the biggest need: more data in game. The Wikia website is practically required to find out where you saw the royal cotton for that weapon upgrade or where to find a boss that only spawns a quarter of the time to advance your guild rank. That really shouldn't be. The game needs to give you that information somehow, someway.

As far as I'm concerned, this is definitely good news. Even if it never comes back to PC, come on, the game has been there for something like eight years now. If you haven't gotten it yet then you don't want it so quit yer gripin'. Some folks sound a lot like me when mom took that toy I didn't want from MY ROOM and gave it to my little brother to play with.

As far as I'm concerned, this is definitely good news.

edit: Nevermind. I guess you are referring to the PS4 release as being good news. Makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom