Vaporum - A Steampunk Dungeon Crawler

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
FatBot Studio sent us news about their new Steampunk Dungeon Crawler game called Vaporum. They also sent a video with some pre-alpha gameplay.

Description

Vaporum is a grid-based, single-player & single-character dungeon crawler game seen from the first person perspective in an original steam-punk setting, that is currently being developed by an indie studio. Its main appeal lies in action oriented combat and mechanical puzzle solving, backed by immersive environment filled with mysteries and secrets to explore. Vaporum uses a simplified character development system that despite its simplicity makes every player’s choice matter. The player can develop their own personal playing skills rather than number-crunching power to defeat enemies and overcome obstacles.

Features

• Immersive steam-punk setting.
  • Action oriented combat and puzzle solving.
  • Lots of exploration, loot and character customization.
  • Mysterious storyline filled with secrets.
The developer is also looking for help from anyboby willing to help make the game.
Open positions

• Concept artist:
    • Strong traditional drawing & digital painting skills.
    • Ability to develop fast visual prototypes, but also final polished designs.
    • Mandatory portfolio of concept art or illustration work.
    • Portfolio items related to steampunk theme are a plus.
  • 3D environment artist:
    • Knowledge of next-gen techniques such as normal mapping, high and low poly modelling.
    • Portfolio should demonstrate experience with these techniques.
    • Ability to work from existing concept art.
    • Ability to develop your own concepts for asset creation.
    • Understanding of modular modelling techniques.
    • Experience using 3ds Max (or industry equivalent) to create next-gen models for environments.
    • Experience using Photoshop (or industry equivalent) to create textures for next-gen materials.
    • Experience with ZBrush or Mudbox is a plus.
  • 3D character artist:
    • Knowledge of next-gen techniques such as normal mapping, high and low poly modelling.
    • Ability to work from existing concept art.
    • Ability to develop your own concepts for asset creation.
    • Experience using 3ds Max or Maya to create detailed characters to scale and accuracy.
    • Proven ability to create detailed ZBrush or Mudbox models
    • Experience using Adobe Photoshop to create textures for next gen materials.
All positions are suitable for students or talented beginners who want to gain experience on a real project.
More information.

Looks fun - a steampunk-infused Legend of Grimrock. Hopefully, it has more meat than LoG had, and less reliance on puzzles.

All positions are suitable for students or talented beginners who want to gain experience on a real project.
This certainly makes me confident in the viability of the project.

It looks good. But gameplay-wise... well, it's early.

This could be promising! I'll definitely keep an eye on this one.

I'm really longing for a new Steampunk RPG… But I'm really hoping for something more like a modern Arcanum, but with a decent (preferrably tactical turn-based) combat system. This first-person real-time combat just looks clunky / monotonous, and while they mention puzzles which is a plus (if they're well done), I'm guessing there isn't much in the way of NPC interaction or choice & consequence. I know implementing that kind of stuff is a lot of work, but more developers really need to put the RP back into RPG.

Back
Top Bottom