Is Ultima 7 worth it?

The world and characters have a level of "realness" that wasn't reached again until around 2001, imo.

In 2001 one... it would be really interesting to know why you think it was reached in 2001, what game? IMHO it has not been reached again even in 2011.

If it is on your paper doll in a slot, it is equipped. The only time it is not equipped is when it is in the pack.

I don't think so. Sometime my character just fights with his fists, and can only knock out a deer (which is really kind of funny). Sometimes he brandishes and fights with a sword, depending on which slot the sword is in.

I haven't seen him ever show his shield. It is REALLY ambiguous. There's no feedback that is clear.

I'm not using Exult, so I get to experience U7 in all of its original glory, as one of the best games of all time. ;)

EDIT:

QUESTION: Is there a way to tell if you've actually equiped your equipment or do just have to make sure to put the right kind of equip on the right slot? If so, what goes where?

Boots on the feet is pretty obvious. What's not obvious are all 7 or so slots on the sides of the upper half of the paper doll.

So you decided to pass on Exult eh? Does that mean you're playing in 320x200? I don't think I could play U7 like that after using Exult.

The combat in this game is pretty funky, and is definitely its weakest aspect imo. I love the exploration though...

U7 at the time it was released was one of the best games on PC and light years beyond the competition. One of my all time favorite games, (it ran so bad on my machine back in the day) I think I may try and get back into it again just because of this thread....The thing with ultima 7 is that everything just felt so big, and epic. I loved that game.

The combat in this game is pretty funky, and is definitely its weakest aspect imo. I love the exploration though…

For a non-combat oriented player like me it's heaven. I hate how much other games focus on combat and would rather it be quick and painless. I want to spend the bulk of my play time exploring and questing since those are always the parts I enjoy most in games.

Well, it doesn't look TOO bad at 640x400 scaled up with nice shaders to fullscreen that's not pixelated. It's quite easy to navigate, and my eyes don't bleed.

u7000.png

u7001.png

To get these low res games to look good has recently become achievable with playable frame rates. It's amazing that these old games take a lot of horsepower to play and look good in DOSBox. There's a ton of post processing on the video.

MM7 or Wiz8 FTW.

If you must play an Ultima, and you prefer combat/tactics over story/plot, play Ultima 3 or Ultima 5.

Well, it doesn't look TOO bad at 640x400 scaled up with nice shaders to fullscreen that's not pixelated. It's quite easy to navigate, and my eyes don't bleed.

WOW how to run it and make it look like that?

Take a long look at your Name … GothicGothicness

Well, Gothic is so limited if you compare. On the NPC with personality and such a things it is fairly good. But in Ultima 7 you have that complete world to discover by ship / horse and carriage and lot of other ways. Also the scale is so much more epic with all the cities and so on. In Gothic you just have that small area inside the barrier and limited to three settlements, of course I still love that game. But still it cannot be compared with U7 in terms of these things.

Also the scale is so much more epic with all the cities and so on. In Gothic you just have that small area inside the barrier and limited to three settlements, of course I still love that game. But still it cannot be compared with U7 in terms of these things.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on that. You can't compare a game that uses 2D sprites to a 3D game and claim that the scale is so much more epic. It takes a lot less in terms of programming and horsepower to create such worlds in 2D.

Not saying that one is better than the other.. just that they're not really comparable in that way.

Never really got into the Ultima series. Not even sure why. It didn't captivate me I suppose.

I don't think so. Sometime my character just fights with his fists, and can only knock out a deer (which is really kind of funny). Sometimes he brandishes and fights with a sword, depending on which slot the sword is in.

I haven't seen him ever show his shield. It is REALLY ambiguous. There's no feedback that is clear.

Hmm. Either a bug then or my memory is faulty!
You've peaked my interest, I may have to fire this up for a bit this weekend!

What are you using to scale it?

To get these low res games to look good has recently become achievable with playable frame rates. It's amazing that these old games take a lot of horsepower to play and look good in DOSBox. There's a ton of post processing on the video.

I don't think it's the post processing that's working the hardware most. Remember, DOSBox is an emulator, so it takes a lot of more CPU than running it in DOS. Anyway, any half-decent PC will have absolutely no problem running that flawlessly with everything on.

Back
Top Bottom