Paradox Interactive - PDXCON 2018

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Paradox announced their new lineup of games & expansions at PDXCON 2018.

First was the Announcement Show

Now the games & expansions.

Age of Wonders: Planetfall is the new strategy game from Triumph Studios, creators of the critically acclaimed Age of Wonders series, bringing all the exciting strategic turn-based combat and in-depth empire building of its predecessors to space in an all-new sci-fi setting. Emerge from the cosmic dark age of a fallen galactic empire to craft a new future for your people. Explore the planetary ruins and encounter other surviving factions that have each evolved in their own way, as you unravel the history of a shattered civilization. Fight, build, negotiate and technologically advance your way to utopia, in a deep single player campaign, on random maps and against friends in multiplayer.

Paradox Interactive, a publisher, and developer of games that reach you near, far, or wherever you are, today announced that Stellaris: Distant Stars, the newest story pack for the sci-fi exploration game from Paradox Development Studio, will be available on May 22, 2018.
Paradox Development Studio returns to ancient history with Imperator: Rome, a new title set around the growth of Roman power in a threatening Mediterranean. Unify Italy and then the world under the eagles of your legions. Or rule an Eastern monarchy with claims to the mantle of Alexander. Slaves, barbarians and war elephants bring the distant past to life in Imperator: Rome. Can you be a Caesar?
Two thirds of the earth's surface is covered by water. Its sea lanes are the lifelines for any nation that wants to be a superpower. In Hearts of Iron IV: Man the Guns, Paradox gives you new tools to dominate the seas and make the ocean safe for your convoys and your friends. Can you tame the mighty waves and bring Neptune to heel?
Europa Universalis IV: Dharma brings new peacetime and trade actions to a classic strategy game. Buy your way into India by establishing a charter company and try to exploit the wealth of this fabled land. Reform your government and customize your policies to match your immediate needs. Find balance and harmony - or promote discord - in this new expansion.
What is Crusader Kings II without Crusades? The new Holy Fury expansion brings even more attention to the religious wars of the era with a specific focus on the Christian wars against their Pagan neighbors to the north. New religious options for pagan nations, new Crusading mechanics, and new character interactions are the highlights of a fiery add-on to the beloved dynasty sim.

Last edited:
Erm... Any game with a story to follow and without DLC?

Since when? Capcom is doing exactly that, but Paradox… I don't think so. Or they use another crowdfunding platform instead of Kickstarter.

I believe it is called, "Crusader Kings: The Board Game", and is being done by Paradox with Free League Publishing. They are currently about seven thousand short of their goal, but considering the project still has thirty one days to go, I'm pretty sure it will succeed.

Last edited:
Also here are four new screenshots for Imperator: Rome.

Attachments

• pdxcon_imperator_screenshots_01_zoomed_in.jpg
    pdxcon_imperator_screenshots_01_zoomed_in.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 83
  • pdxcon_imperator_screenshots_02_flat_map.jpg
    pdxcon_imperator_screenshots_02_flat_map.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 82
  • pdxcon_imperator_screenshots_03_mid_zoom.jpg
    pdxcon_imperator_screenshots_03_mid_zoom.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 84
  • pdxcon_imperator_screenshots_04_province_view.jpg
    pdxcon_imperator_screenshots_04_province_view.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 83
Interesting, although I'm a bit PO'd at Paradox since discovering I can't have an up to date version with all the DLC I got with my GamersGate version of CKII since Paradox moved it to a Steam only product a few years back. TBH the plethora of DLC they produce for their titles is a bit off putting.

Interesting, although I'm a bit PO'd at Paradox since discovering I can't have an up to date version with all the DLC I got with my GamersGate version of CKII since Paradox moved it to a Steam only product a few years back. TBH the plethora of DLC they produce for their titles is a bit off putting.
If I remember they promised steam keys for the GamersGate version. As for DLC it does get expensive to buy them all, but it makes for more interesting re-plays.

Anyway I remember when they used to only release one or two expansions for every strategy game, but this new model seems to work, and most buyers love it.

One downside to all these DLC's and patches is how they break mods.

A good video about "Fixing Paradox's DLC Policy".

As more and more DLCs get released, Paradox's habit of adding penalties in the free patch and locking the solution behind a paywall causes the base game to become more unbalanced as time goes on. Development/institutions is the most obvious example of this, but there are many others. Liberty desire in subjects introduced in a free patch, but most ways of reducing it are locked behind a paywall. The post-common sense building system was introduced in a free patch, but the only to get more building slots is locked behind a paywall, and many of the bonuses the old system gave were replaced with things in newer DLCs like strengthening government, estates, and government ranks. The ability to get support independence is locked behind a paywall, making vassal nations nearly impossible to play in the current version of the base game. All the espionage actions the AI spams you with are part of the free patch, but the only counter to it (counterespionage) is locked behind a paywall

The ability to mix and match DLCs sounds great in theory, but with over 2000 possible combinations of expansions as of Third Rome, there's simply no way to test every possible combination and that leads to a horribly unbalanced and buggy experience if you have some DLCs but not others. One example Reman gives is that you can promise land to your allies with the Cossacks DLC, but if you don't have Common Sense then you can't actually transfer occupation to them; this makes it much harder to actually give them the land you promised. There's probably many more examples that he didn't mention, but Paradox balancing their game around you having every DLC makes the full EU4 experience extremely expensive. Even then, they simply refuse to address longstanding balance issues and major exploits in favor of pumping out new features to make into DLCs.

The perceived value of DLCs is diminished by the lack of focus and arbitrary inclusion of features most people don't care as much about. Common Sense is considered a must-have expansion because of development, but its $15 price tag also includes HRE free cities, government ranks, Buddhist karma, Protestant church power, parliaments for constitutional monarchies, and better theocracies. The Rights of Man promo picture features a portrait of Frederick the Great, but its $20 price tag also includes the Ottoman government, new Coptic and Fetishist features, the great power system, and lots of quality-of-life improvements to all monarchies like consorts and disinheriting/abdicating. Third Rome was a step in the right direction in this respect, but they still messed that up because they combined the cosmetic unit pack with the expansion to make it way more expensive than it should be for people who don't care about the cosmetic stuff.

The nature and sheer number of DLCs causes a lot of confusion, especially for new players, creating an even bigger barrier to entry for a game that already has a steep learning curve. The unfocused nature of the DLCs frequently leaves people asking "what DLC do I need to do x strategy or y thing?", something that should not be nearly as common of a question. When people go to the Steam page for EU4, they are greeted by a giant wall of DLCs with no indication of which ones are important and which ones aren't. Content Packs sound like they would be new missions or events, when in reality they're entirely cosmetic. Third Rome being an immersion pack would sound like it's just new unit models, when in reality it's a full blown expansion, albeit with a narrower scope than most. The lack of any bundle containing just the expansions leads uninformed new players to be appalled at the $300 price tag of getting everything, when in reality if you only care about the expansions it's more like $100 or less on sale. And even if you know not to get the content packs, you still have to go search up the wiki or reddit to figure out which expansions are the most necessary. Both me and Reman have had major issues trying to get new players into the game, because our friends see that massive $300 price tag and are instantly turned off without even doing more research. This price tag is artificially kept high because Paradox (unlike most major game publishers) refuses to lower the price of older DLCs for years after they're released, only slightly reducing the price of older games when a sequel comes out.

Having the DLC be optional forces mechanics to essentially exist in isolation, not really effecting anything outside of themselves and having their own requirements and penalties/bonuses. This works fine for some things like region- or country-specific features like the Prussian monarchy, but much of the time it leads to mechanics that feel completely out of place. Like everyone's favorite: estates. They're a neat little system that every country has access to, and each estate has its own rewards and penalties which is effectively a very rewarding minigame if you're willing to micromanage them. Except, they're completely divorced from every other aspect of gameplay and you could completely ignore them for the whole game if you wanted to. The only way they affect anything other than themselves is the bonuses/penalties that get spit out of them. The devs may as well have inserted a game of Galaga that you play every 20 years, and if you got the same rewards out of it as estates, it would feel exactly as connected to the rest of the gameplay as estates do. Quite tragic considering how there are many obvious ways estates could have interacted with other game mechanics to add to the experience and add new ways of playing. Reman thinks there's not really any good way to fix this, but I think it would be great if estates were overhauled as part of a free patch in the future. They already have the capability of adding DLC-specific features in the free patch, so I don't see why this wouldn't be possible.

The current DLC policy poisons goodwill with the community, making many diehard fans second guess their future purchases from Paradox. I know with me personally I'm a huge EU4 fan and would love to expand into other Paradox games, but with the many things I've been reading about how base HOI4 is a shell of what it could have been, it's obvious to me that Paradox hasn't learned a thing from their community and just want to milk the game for lots of DLC money later, giving me much less reason to buy it. CK2 seems to be much like EU4 in that it has $300 worth of DLC, but most of those aren't necessary and there's no obvious way for a potential new player like me to figure out which ones are necessary or if even just the base game works fine. That leaves me with just Stellaris, which I've heard good things about and might look into, but learning a new Paradox game is very difficult and time consuming task and I'm still having tons of fun with EU4 after 2500+ hours. The price hike especially poisoned a ton of good will with the community, and while that's not going to have a huge immediate effect on Paradox's bottom line, it effectively confines their games to a stagnant player base as fewer and fewer fans recommend them to new players. I know I'll definitely have second thoughts about buying the eventual EU5, much less recommending it to my friends.

If I remember they promised steam keys for the GamersGate version. As for DLC it does get expensive to buy them all, but it makes for more interesting re-plays.

Anyway I remember when they used to only release one or two expansions for every strategy game, but this new model seems to work, and most buyers love it.

One downside to all these DLC's and patches is how they break mods.

Well the downside is not that bad considering you can always rollback to a previous version in Steam.

Well the downside is not that bad considering you can always rollback to a previous version in Steam.
Yes thanks for sharing as I know that but its a bitch when your just bought DLC wont work with the old patch. This happens rarely but it's not a problem NOWADAYS.

Anyway I don't like or hate their model just indifferent to it mostly. Thankfully there are other means to get the paid DLC if you know where to look on the internet.:biggrin:

If I remember they promised steam keys for the GamersGate version.

Yes that was originally the plan but, according to the email I got from GG, Paradox stopped providing the DLC keys a long time ago. I'm a little suss of this answer tbh, I mean I would think GG would have been able to tell Paradox 'we need x number of this key, y of this one, z of that' etc, how can it then turn out that GG doesn't have keys to give to people who bought the software off them? All of which leaves me with a very old version of CKII + 20 odd DLC (luckily I have it installed) or the latest version from Steam with basically none. If I had the energy I might take it up with Paradox.

Anyway, enough of that, back to PDXCON.

You can try activating the keys in Steam. In Gamersgate go to your library, CK2 and 'unused serial key' (or something), try adding those keys to Steam.

Yes, I know. There are no keys - believe me I've checked. I've got a page long email from GG support trying to explain why I can no longer have what I bought from them. You can't even download the game or DLC anymore, all the download links in your game library are to the Steam client install - which is useless if you have no activation code.

I have 27 CKII DLC I can no longer access. It annoys me.

Maybe the last DLC for CK2. Since original release, the crusade system went to the drain, getting less and less relevant.
A crusade DLC was the missing link to CK2.

Yes, I know. There are no keys - believe me I've checked. I've got a page long email from GG support trying to explain why I can no longer have what I bought from them.

Incidentally, they were bought from Paradox. They must be able to provide keys for a steam version.

Back
Top Bottom