|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The language thread

Default The language thread

June 11th, 2017, 18:23
Originally Posted by Eye View Post
Basque language is not mixed up with anything.
One theory says that it is the oldest surviving language of the [european] world, and predates any Indo-European language. Some say it predates *everything* in Europe, a remainder from the ice ages. And place names - though often heavily distorted - are all over Europe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_language
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

July 4th, 2017, 22:55
I'm currently reading through "Througth the language glass : How words colour your world" by Guy Deutscher (yes, that's his real name !). An extremely well written book about colours in languages. It's reading is easy and fluid, and for those with a bit more of knowledge it contains a few looks into the rather unknown spaces of language science.
Highly recommended !
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 10th, 2018, 12:32
Can't have a language thread without posts about crossword puzzles, can we?

I love crossword puzzles, been solving them for years. Unfortunately that means that the huuuge majority of crossword puzzle magazines aren't fun anymore, they're all of the easy type.

Fortunately, we have in Norway a guy named "Rolf Hansen", who has been making puzzles for more than 30 years. And those puzzles are a challenge. Two things are typically for his crosswords:

1. Looong words, often quite "creative" (weird) - meaning there's significant lateral thinking involved. I'll give you a couple of examples, but first observe that in Norwegian we make compound words by sticking all the components together. For instance "chief justice of the supreme court" becomes in Norwegian "Høyesterettsjustitiarius". So, words like that can be fairly long (although not by Welsh standard). In today's crossword one of the keywords was "legevakt" ("ER" in English) and the solution was "hålkefallskademottakssted" ("falling on ice trauma reception place"). I told you his solutions can be weird. Another keyword was "grisefjøs" ("pig barn), and the solution was "purkeavkomoppvekstarena" ("sow offspring growing up arena"). Fortunately, you get used to it.

2. Relevant but quite uncommon words. For instance "author" (5 letters). The answer was "Llull" (yepp, this is the correct spelling), referring to the Spanish (Catalan) philosopher and writer Ramon Llull (1232-1315!!!). If some of you claim to have heard of him, you're either Spanish (Catalan) or lying. Or both. Or you're Nyx or Maylander, and has solved that particular crossword.

A few of the solutions are used again and again. "River", 6 letters? Very likely it's "Dnestr". City, 10 letters? It's "Srebrenica". And for eight letters "Srinagar" is always an option. He's also quite fond of the fish named "Isgalt" (Macrourus berglax). Knowing these things helps to some degree.

Sometimes (not very often) a solution is wrong (inaccurate) or the spelling is … uncommon. He doesn't seem to care, and when you've solved his crosswords for a while, you know about them (unfortunately I can't remember any of them now)

One peculiar fact: Hansen loves making crossword puzzles, but he doesn't like solving them. According to an article about him a couple of years ago he has solved only two in his lifetime (I'm not sure I believe him).

So, what about you, computer role playing internet forum members (8 letters)? Any of you spending time on crosswords?

pibbur (6 letters)="pibbur"
--
d++a63e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

1. The cat is alive! And pissed!!!
2. It's been 82 years. The cat is dead, and the stench is unbearable!!!
Last edited by pibbur who; March 10th, 2018 at 16:14.

pibbur who

Number 14
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

March 10th, 2018, 23:06
I try to avoid having a cross word with anyone!!
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

[email protected]

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

March 11th, 2018, 11:13
I don’t. I used to do that when I was much younger, but that was well before we had internet.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

March 17th, 2018, 10:53
I did that once in a while.
--

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 17th, 2018, 11:40
I enjoy finishing crosswords other folks started. My mother-in-law nearly never finishes her crosswords, and she's solving (or rather, starting) crosswords on a daily base.
--
ESO-playing machine

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

Play nice.©
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

March 17th, 2018, 15:26
I used to do that as a child with my grandfather, but when he passed I guess my love of those puzzles passed as well. Great memories, though.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

April 5th, 2018, 18:11
Every day I learn a new word.

This time it's the "Refusenik".

Original source : In the SWTOR forums : http://www.swtor.com/community/showp…8&postcount=10

Dedicated PvP-only PvE refuseniks will be able to buy them on the GTN
--

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

June 6th, 2018, 18:11
By sheer chance I came across this highly interesting article : http://slavenorth.com/columns/oldenglish.htm
Please read it if you want to know / learn more about modern English !
--

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

+1:

July 1st, 2018, 15:59
On "Ulisses" and on language - and on the ways how "Literature" "works" : https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/12/m…-journalism-vi
--

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 11th, 2018, 02:14
Well, googling to find the link for this revealed that it's been revealed MANY times in the past but it's the first I've heard of it. (Warning: could be offensive to some British folk.) (But their team is doing well so they can take it.)

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/30/62491…er-or-football
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

July 11th, 2018, 03:03
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Well, googling to find the link for this revealed that it's been revealed MANY times in the past but it's the first I've heard of it. (Warning: could be offensive to some British folk.) (But their team is doing well so they can take it.)

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/30/62491…er-or-football
It's a bit more complicated than that. The game that was codified into what we know today was definitely originally known as Association Football. But, the nickname "soccer" was seen as an upper class phrase (much as posh people tend to refer to Rugby Football as "rugger"). It was always disliked by the working people who thought it was their game, and just called it "football". When the American influence pushed the word soccer, to distinguish it from their own version of football, the pushback grew.

I would suggest that, as the rest of the planet calls football football, we should eliminate the confusion by referring to the US game as "gridiron".
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
+1:

July 13th, 2018, 01:53
Why should we change to…oooo gridiron is pretty cool…. hmm…..
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The language thread