Dart Vacation

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
Got my sunglasses, a beer and some sunscreen. Vacations don’t last forever but gonna enjoy this for a bit! You know you can’t resist Dart see you in a bit!

I'm not Dart, but I wish you a happy vacation anyway.

pibbur who wonders where the Todd of 2002 will spend his vacation.

I was hoping it was "Darth Vacation", the Sith Lord who prefers to spend his time on the beach instead of trying to rule the galaxy.

I was hoping it was "Darth Vacation", the Sith Lord who prefers to spend his time on the beach instead of trying to rule the galaxy.

And weren't they the same person (Dart and Darth) ?

Oh, did he leave again? Somebody else will need to post 1100 times a month now.

dart souls said:
To whom it may concern,

I'm afraid we've gone way past the point where I can take RPG seriously. I'm glad you love the games - and I think it's cool that a computer game can make you feel brave.

If only I could feel something so profound based on so very little. I seem to remember something akin to that when I was a kid when I played "hardcore" and "iron man" modes and I didn't realise my time in this world is incredibly limited - and I definitely miss being able to tell myself that mastering games means something important, though I don't think I've ever been deluded enough to claim that to an adult. The ridicule of being a geek was more than enough

The closest thing to something that profound I've experienced in a game as an adult is probably Alien Isolation, except it made me feel more like a coward - like you suggest that I am. Maybe that is true.

Oh, and a few games have brought me to tears because of their story telling and presentation, including Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite. But that's about it for profound reactions for my part, sadly.

Beyond not being able to take RPG seriously, I don't think our discussion is valuable to others. It's more than likely just in the way.

Anyway, thank you for your amusing vision of yourself - that was unusually entertaining.

But you're a bit too much of a loon for my tastes in terms of our exchanges being worthwhile - so to avoid compulsively engaging with you about something potentially interesting in the future, I will have to put you back on ignore.

Nothing personal beyond that - and I kinda like you as you do seem to have a sense of humor and you don't seem the type to carry a grudge like a few others around here.

Not sure if that matters to you, but there it is.

Have fun!

Alien Isolation, The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite

It's probably Joxer's fault… ;)

When faced with the question "what is an RPG?" is the answer subjective? If so then what use are comments from anyone but yourself?

newdart said:
What I personally like is different from trying to make what I personally like into something others should also personally like.

He just realised he doesn't personally like RPGs. He forced himself to say he liked Divinity:OS2 because he could clearly see that its the best example of what an RPG should be, but really he just wants to play games like Prey, Fallout4, The Division, Skyrim, etc. FPS action foundation expanded with RPG elements like an inventory or elves - All a game needs to be an RPG - intended to be accessible to the mainstream. (unlike hardcore RPGS)

When it comes to Dark Souls, where he pretends he doesn't think mastering a combat system is a worthwhile pursuit in an ARPG, you know he's really just too scared to play because he will die and become frustrated due to lack of skill.

Yet we can see him defend skill in the goty thread, saying…
You honestly think the tiny minority who're physically unable to apply personal skill in this way should dictate an entire genre?
…in support of skill, then…
All you do is learn patterns to avoid wasting your time through lost progress
…against it, when talking about Dark Souls.

So what does he really mean by "skill"? The game has to be accessible to casual players so which games require skill but offer no challenge? I think the skill he wants is aiming the crosshair and pressing left mouse, like Prey, rather than the twitch reflexes required to dodge at the correct moment, like Dark Souls. But when it comes down to it, the most RPG thing is tactical turn-based party-based combat, and that's one he never really liked, preferring 3D like Daggerfall and Ultima Underworld from the start. The only reason he played any blobbers was for the 3D view.

Anyway, that's all fine because when Elder Scrolls 6 comes out his type of RPG will be the most talked about and loved thing on the site again and the party can rejoyce!

edit:
TL;DR it's Chris Avellones fault :p https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/957523888358883328

Last edited:
When faced with the question "what is an RPG?" is the answer subjective? If so then what use are comments from anyone but yourself?

If you speak the Words of Power, you may summon him again...

I don't know why he left, I did not ask him for his reasons and he didn't give them. What I do know is that he created quite a number of threads to stimulate people here to discuss a topic and I appreciate that a lot.
He did have a tendency to get under people's skin, but only if you let him. Once I got used to ignoring his style and just distill the message, it actually made sense quite often.
Maybe he was a special snowflake, but then again, this site appears to have its fair share of special snowflakes.

It's a shame if he left. I didn't necessarily agree with all of his posts or his debating style, but he caused quite a few lively discussions which were interesting to read.

Back
Top Bottom