Unity Issues

Well, I did a little bit of investigation, I don't dare to try more, after my computer refused to turn on for a couple of minutes after shutting down from overheating. But here is what I suspect, no proof as of yet:

Fullscreen mode, cause:
1. Game is not CPU limited in any way.
2. Vsync is not working properly in dedicated fullscreen mode sometime in unity.
3. 100% GPU constant usage in fullscreen mode. ( For example if I run cyberpunk 2077 in high resolution, I don't get any issues, but it does not constantly put 100% load on my GPU )
4. Partial reason Fans/case not optimal ( might be some dust etc, and rig is a bit old ) otherwise yes it could run 100% for longer periods of time, here after a certain period of constant 100% gpu load it start to overheat.

Running same graphics settings in borderless window:
1. No issues, low load on GPU / CPU, no shutdowns.

That's interesting, but, as you say, I think we have bear in mind that's still anecdotal - the only thing we can conclude from that is that you have a game that can cause your particular PC to overheat. I'm still curious whether there is a fundamental issue specific to Unity that is pushing hardware in a special way, causing inescapable overheating. I can well imagine that a given game has been coded in an inefficient way that pushes people's PC to the point of finding out who has hardware problems, but that's a different thing.

Coming from a rarther clueless position …. - Is there anything a player can do ?
I mean, there's still that game I wrote about far above in this thread … It still won't start up.
I highly suspect that my own PC / CPU is too old for that, but I thought it wouldn't, because it has 8 GB RAM and is 64 bit …

Since I often read that Unity is based on c# ( I never trusted this language to be good for games, to be frank), does it have an impact which version of .net is installed ?

Coming from a rarther clueless position …. - Is there anything a player can do ?
I mean, there's still that game I wrote about far above in this thread … It still won't start up.
I highly suspect that my own PC / CPU is too old for that, but I thought it wouldn't, because it has 8 GB RAM and is 64 bit …

Since I often read that Unity is based on c# ( I never trusted this language to be good for games, to be frank), does it have an impact which version of .net is installed ?
The .NET dependencies are normally installed with the game.

If your PC meets the game requirements, the best you can do is contact the game developer and ask them.

If you have bought it on GOG, you can try to contact them before the developer, they're pretty good at helping for the common issues of a particular game, I suppose they're monitoring the exchanges with the game support. If that's on Steam, it's not worth trying.

Very unlikely to be anything to be anything to do with Unity specifically. Maybe open a new thread mentioning the game and your specific hardware, and we might have some ideas. If it's a very old CPU, it could be missing some extensions that have become a requirement, or something like that.

That's interesting, but, as you say, I think we have bear in mind that's still anecdotal - the only thing we can conclude from that is that you have a game that can cause your particular PC to overheat. I'm still curious whether there is a fundamental issue specific to Unity that is pushing hardware in a special way, causing inescapable overheating. I can well imagine that a given game has been coded in an inefficient way that pushes people's PC to the point of finding out who has hardware problems, but that's a different thing.

Well, the thing is that the exactly same graphics settings works, in borderless windows with almost no stress at all on GPU, I have seen the same in another Unity game also, It is of course possible for both the game developers to override a graphics settings like for example vsync in case the exclusive fullscreen flag is set. But why would the developers do that?

Normally borderless window or exclusive fullscreen is just a flag you pass when creating the render window.

Well, the thing is that the exactly same graphics settings works, in borderless windows with almost no stress at all on GPU, I have seen the same in another Unity game also, It is of course possible for both the game developers to override a graphics settings like for example vsync in case the exclusive fullscreen flag is set. But why would the developers do that?

Hard to say, but I would stop short of concluding that developers wouldn't do something silly, and it must be an issue with engine itself. There's certainly been many games, using many engines, in which borderless vs fullscreen have had performance implications, sometimes in puzzling ways. I could imagine that driver issues are a possibility, too. I mean, one could flip the question around, and ask why not all Unity games have the same issue, if this is a fundamental problem.

Hard to say, but I would stop short of concluding that developers wouldn't do something silly, and it must be an issue with engine itself. There's certainly been many games, using many engines, in which borderless vs fullscreen have had performance implications, sometimes in puzzling ways. I could imagine that driver issues are a possibility, too. I mean, one could flip the question around, and ask why not all Unity games have the same issue, if this is a fundamental problem.

Yes, I should investigate some more.... might be only with older / certain Unity versions, or a combination of Unity version / driver.

Back
Top Bottom