The Iron Oath - October Update

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The October update for The Iron Oath talks about the new direction for combat environments.

October Update

Curious Panda Creator November 11, 2019
Time for a belated October update! The last month has been a hectic time for us as we were crunching to meet certain deadlines, and thus didn't have the time to put together a proper update. Not going to share just yet what the crunch-time was for...we'll see in a month or two how things pan out and hopefully we'll have some good news to share :)

In this month's update we wanted to talk about our new direction for combat environments, and illustrating the point with a brand new tileset that we've created and implemented this past month. In the environments you've seen so far, a typical combat area has rarely been much larger than 5-6 rows high, as shown below:

3acb2a5234efbdaca72a15dbf4b2cb74_original.png

While the narrower corridors allowed for more streamlined exploration, they made combat encounters a bit too cramped, and didn't allow us much room to place terrain obstacles and hazards without suffocating the playfield. This resulted in combat areas not having much variety to them, which is not ideal!

With this new tileset we've greatly increased the size of the playfield(up to 10 rows high at points). The base tiles are completely empty aside from the ground and back wall, as seen below:

2d8ef901cbcad4f53297806e695a9613_original.png

With this much space, we now have a lot of room to work with for creating many different and tactically interesting layouts, populated by the terrain and hazards that are attached to this tileset. This includes a variety of rock formations, holes, falling rock obstacles, dangerous spikes and more. Here's some of the terrain objects for this tile, still need to complete a few more:

afc6a4c939669e3a44484e167c7824c8_original.png

Each "layout" will be hand made, as we think it's preferable to randomly generating them. We're not quite sure how far we'll go with the quantity, but we'll be shooting for at least 100 unique terrain layouts per environment. Here's a look at one section's layout in-game:

7e23a8d5bbb9cdf3b1206d4aaf5bf250_original.png

For the existing tilesets, we'll be going back and revising them a bit as well in order to add more space. Though in some cases, certain environments will be less open than others when it makes sense.

Another thing we wanted to show off was the in-dungeon dialogue system which has received some work lately with additions such as portraits, text fade-in and auto scrolling. Of course you can skip through this all by left-clicking as well if you're a quick reader or just want to breeze through it! We're still not 100% done with it, but we're pretty happy with the current state for now. The example below is from the opening mission/introduction to the game :)

And a small bonus gif of something that occurred while I was recording some footage. I didn't think this action through very well :( lol

f9b86022113a5b782eb8caf91f2298ef_original.gif

[...]
More information.

Looking good. Probably a game I'll grab when it comes out, depending on the reviews. Hopefully it will have a decent plot.

Sounds quite nice on paper. I might have to look at this one for myself, rather than trust reviews.

I've been following since the early days and I have a great deal of confidence in them. Couple of design issues I'm questioning, like how about toggling off animated text instead of making us click to get it to appear? Since it's impossible for text to animate faster than it can be read, I'm not clear on what the attraction is.

But all my complaints are really minor like that one.

Beautiful map design! The graphics is a pleasure to look at. Faces could be a little bit more realistic and less lame.

Sounds good. I think the main reason I didn't back the KS was that I thought the very small combat grids looked so cramped, so I'm glad they're addressing that. Hard to have tactical combat if your characters can't move.

Back
Top Bottom