Risen - Early Impressions @ IGN

My problem is not that I just want to veg and not think when I play games -- quite the contrary! I need a game to be thought-provoking and cause me to have to think and pay attention. My problem is that I don't have large amounts of time to play so I forget what direction I was told to go for a particular quest or what to do when I get there. I don't want to be told everything to click on but I do want to be reminded in a journal and/or map of what has gone on before.

One other factor is that if I am talking with someone in real life and they give me directions I talk with them until I understand it and then I go find it. In a game, though, you can't keep talking with someone as dialog is very limited so if there's any misunderstanding or an NPC being vague there's nothing to be done about it (unless there is a pointer on the map).

This removes me from the immersion altogether. If an NPC gives me incomplete or misleading directions and I unrealistically can't question him/her about it and that causes me to wander around aimlessly trying to find it that's neither fun nor realistic and is frustrating. It is "hardcore", perhaps, but not my cup of tea.

Bottom line for me is that I don't want to be spoon-fed without having to think or pay attention but I don't want to have to remember what happened several days ago (in real-life time between sessions).

Good point. Occasionally I like something mindless but, usually, I want to be challenged or stimulated - but in a way that's compatible with a 60 minute chunk several days apart.

Back
Top Bottom