For the King - Release In April

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
For the King is scheduled for release April 19th and will be discounted 20% for a week at that time.

For The King ventures out of Steam Early Access on April 19th
Step onto a new frontier and fight in the daunting Frozen Expanse with a 20% discount at launch

London, Tuesday 10th April 2018 - Multi-award winning publisher Curve Digital, is pleased to announce that IronOak Games' For the King will leave Steam Early Access on 19th April 2018. For the King is a rogue-like RPG adventure for which sees players journey into procedurally generated levels to avenge their recently murdered King.

Mixing up a challenging blend of strategy, tabletop RPG, and rogue-like elements, For The King features both a single player experience as well as the ability for three heroes to play cooperatively both online and locally. Taking place in the gorgeous, hexagonal kingdom of Fahrul, players must strategically explore and battle their way through the fairytale, stylized landscape in a bid to discover and survive, lest they succumb to death.

The game's short run in Early Access allowed for new features to be tested, balanced and tweaked following suggestions from the community. As a result, IronOak Games have added a horde of new features including a Dungeon Crawl Mode, Discord integration, a whole host of multiplayer functionality and, of course, vital enemy and economy balancing. The full list of updates can be found via the game's Steam page.

The exit from Early Access will be accompanied by an extensive free update which adds an all new adventure into the daunting Frozen Expanse. This includes three entirely new realms: The Shivering Woods, Frozen Expanse and the Frigid Sea. Along with these new realms comes two vast new dungeons, a brand-new playable character to unlock and plenty of fiendish traps. Plus over 20 new enemies and encounters, two new Scourges and a wealth of new weapons, armour and loot. For completionists,10 new steam achievements are up for grabs.

For the King will be priced at $19.99 / £15.49 / 19,99€ with a 20% launch week discount, when it leaves Steam Early Access on April 19th. PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch versions of the game are slated for release in early 2019
More information.

Last edited:
Not any. Every.
The problem here is it doesn't even work properly.

This is a project that I backed several years ago, and from what I've seen in recent updates I highly doubt this game will be fully ready to go in a month. I suspect we'll see an abnormal amount of patches and updates for several months following the release, and hopefully part of that will be a way to fully opt out of any multiplayer aspects of the game.

This game is not an MMO. From Wikipedia:

... [an MMO] is an online game with large numbers of players, typically from hundreds to thousands, on the same server.

In this game you play co-operatively with up to 4 players in your own instance of the game.

As to the shape of the game, I've been playing it for a couple months. It's a lot of fun. A nice blend of strategy, light RPG and adventure. Also, I've noticed no bugs or issues in the 12 or so hours I've played it. If you're looking for a great, little coop game with a friend or 3, this is worth playing.

Is the release date May 19th or April 19th. The headlines say May but the quoted text sez April.
-
Joker if you think this is an MMO you need to have your head examined.

This game is not an MMO. From Wikipedia:

… [an MMO] is an online game with large numbers of players, typically from hundreds to thousands, on the same server.
By that definition Diablo 3 is MMO. And it's not really.
Also, that sentence can't define GTA 5.

Yea yea, in times of past… yadda yadda yadda…
Times have changed.

By that definition Diablo 3 is MMO. And it's not really.
Also, that sentence can't define GTA 5.

Yea yea, in times of past… yadda yadda yadda…
Times have changed.

Well, if times have indeed changed and such narrow definitions cannot be used to define what a game is, then it should be pretty apparent that the single fact that up to 4 people can play in coop is hardly reason enough to label the game an MMO.

I'm all for discussing the merits of a game but to throw out non sequiturs like the MMO thing is just plain dumb.

Is the release date May 19th or April 19th. The headlines say May but the quoted text sez April..
Oops, that should be April

Can't wait to give this another play with the new content! Fantastic game.

It's actually 3 players per game or a single player who has to control all 3. It does have some random elements but I wouldn't buy it if I was looking for a "rogue-like" game to play because, say, I'm bored of Angband. FTK is more of a board game with dungeon crawling, JRPG combat and loot. Being able to unlock more game pieces for your board adds a lot of replayability.

Back
Top Bottom