Tower of Time - Review @ COG

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
COG has reviewed the RPG Tower of Time:

Tower of Time Review

I don’t have any experience with traditional CRPGs. To that end, I was pretty sure this game was gonna be a murderous slog, one that I would have to endure rather than enjoy. Turns out I was only half-right. Tower of Time is still a savage journey, but it’s one that compels me to keep coming back for more.

[...]
Great RPGs make every battle feel necessary. At no point in my journey did I ever feel like I was grinding away or wasting time. Instead, my victories were hard-fought and properly savored. Although I’ve little experience with CRPGs in general, I did my level best to keep the difficulty at normal. My only concession was the portal battles. More so than even the boss fights, these stages felt like a brick wall against my forehead. After hours of suffering, I gave up and lowered it to the easy difficulty. Just for that battle, though! Afterward, I notched it right back up to normal. Even this felt like a personal failing, rather than some issue with the game’s design. In spite of these stages, the loot and the leveling system, I was never discouraged or bored. Between the pitched battles and the beautiful level layouts, I was always itching to get just a little further. If you’re a fan of CRPGs or just RPGs in general, you can’t go wrong with Tower of Time.

More information.

This game has my attention and I’ve come very close to buying it a couple of times this week. I’ve watched a few videos and it seems right up my alley. The reviews seem fairly solid as well. But I’m right in the middle of an Iceeind Dale EE playthrough and have about 40 more games backlogged. Damn you shiny new game for being so tempting!

From what I gathered from reviews this is a pretty much mediocre title for a rainy day like Amber and nothing more.
Which means I'll add it to my backlog where it'll most probably rot a few years before I get enough time for it. :(

So I ended up picking this one up this evening. Only spent about an hour or so with it so far, enough to get through the prologue. So far so good. Story and environments seem pretty solid and I appreciate the banter between characters so far. I like the UI and there does seem to be some depth to the character building. The graphics are a little muddier than I was hoping...but still decent enough. Itemization seems a little weak as I would have preferred a little more flavor text to the equipment. Still too early for me to fully form an opinion but I like it so far and don’t regret the purchase.

So I ended up picking this one up this evening. Only spent about an hour or so with it so far, enough to get through the prologue. So far so good. Story and environments seem pretty solid and I appreciate the banter between characters so far. I like the UI and there does seem to be some depth to the character building. The graphics are a little muddier than I was hoping…but still decent enough. Itemization seems a little weak as I would have preferred a little more flavor text to the equipment. Still too early for me to fully form an opinion but I like it so far and don’t regret the purchase.
Same here.
Only few hours in, but I like what I see so far.

Play it at least on Hard, though - except if you're a really bad player.
There are very hard fights, but I think those are supposed to be "road blocks" until you are levelled up. Other than that, it seems to be rather on the easy side if you played any somewhat tactical game before.

On the other hand, I think this would be an absolutely perfect introduction title to RPG/tactics games.

Back
Top Bottom