Things you don't need to know...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/site-rates-games-microtransactions

Microtransaction.zone launched this week, with the goal of clarifying games’ business models. They’ve created a set of tags that provide, at a glance, a quick run-down of what, if anything, you can buy post-purchase.

For example, games that allow you to buy cosmetic items for real-world cash get the “Horse Armor” designation, while games that let you buy items that give you an advantage or boost during play get tagged with “It’s Not Just Cosmetic.”

Games that don’t have any microtransactions are designated “Spotless.”

You don't need to know that I believe this site will be completely ignored by "pro" reviewers.
Another thing you definetly don't need to know is that per current data there are only 5 products on Android marked as "spotless" RPG where one of them, GTA:VC, is not RPG at all. Note that some "spotless" RPG products aren't "rated" yet (example: Chaos Rings games).
Finally you do know but really don't need to know that in the current site database "spotless" MMO(RPG) does not exist on any platform.

Last edited:
https://wccftech.com/belgian-gaming-commission-lootboxes-gambling/
The Belgian Gaming Commission has ruled that Overwatch, FIFA 18 and Counter Strike: Global Offensive are in violation of the law, while EA’s Star Wars Battlefront II got off the hook due to the removal of paid lootboxes in the game.
If no changes are being made to games that are considered gambling, publishers can face fines up to €800.000 and imprisonment up to 5 years. These charges can be doubled if it can be proved that the ‘victims’ involve minors.

You don't need to know that EA CEO doesn't live in Belgium. Not yet.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-3521_en.htm
The sugar sweetened drinks tax is one of a number of measures that Ireland is implementing as part of an overall policy to tackle obesity in adults and children. It takes account of World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations to limit consumption of sugary drinks as part of a strategy to tackle obesity.

You don't need to know three things. I don't live in Ireland where unlike sugar, Apple gets tax benefits. When buying drinks without alcohol I avoid anything that contains corn syrup which means basically I buy only drinks that contain good old sugar (saccharose). Finally, there is a conspiracy theory* about pushing corn syrup instead od sugar with no actual proof of health imapct but with financial background (Monsanto).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
* One of corn syrup CTs that makes sense: http://www.obscure.org/~bob/stuff/coke.html

Last edited:
Apparently, so called Golden State Killer responsible for at least 12 murders was caught after 40 years thanks to one of DNA ancestry projects. You don't need to know of course which one was that as it's not the only one, but if you still want to know:
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/golden-state-killer-suspect-dna-genetics-genealogy
Using DNA to find a killer sounds easy: Upload some DNA to a database, get a match and — bingo — suspect found. But it took new genetic sleuthing tools to track down the man suspected of being the Golden State Killer.

Investigators have confirmed they used a public genealogy database, GEDmatch, to connect crime scene evidence to distant relatives of Joseph James DeAngelo.

DeAngelo’s DNA wasn’t in any police database.

The news prompted a flurry of concerns about privacy and ethics — there’s no telling how many people in the public database are being subjected to what amounts to a “genetic stop and frisk,” says Alondra Nelson, a sociologist at Columbia University. But others say they doubt police are actively trolling genealogy websites for suspects.

This interesting read, to me at least, urged me to google for more about the whole DNA "test" thing and thus I found a video that compiles 10 equally interesting cases though not crime related:

I have to put a few comments although I didn't put a thorough thought on all of this. I mean, this does look very useful thing at first look, but there is also a matter of possible abuse.

As you might spot in that video is a title from somewhere that says "the concept of race is meaningless" which I have to disagree with as it's based mostly on visual perception of a person and within ignorant (sub)cultures is treated similar to weight or beauty differences. We all knew bullies when we were kids, right? Or perhaps we were ones? On another side, I did state before in my posts that I adore asians although am not one myself, so if we remove the race concept how on earth would I explain that for some reason certain looks I find more cute than others?

It's great this technology didn't exist during WW2. Because if it did… So many more people would end up in concentration camps.
Which brings me to the abuse point. There is absolutely no way these services can be stopped and you already know although you don't need to, that ignorant fools can still use modern technology. My opinion is that any eugenics must be declared illegal through worldwide laws before people's worth(ness) becomes a result from public DNA "sleuthing". If the law doesn't happen soon, some of us might end up in some ghetto one day because our genes weren't "good enough".

Does any of this have anything to do with me? Perhaps.
On my mother's side, my grandfather had a dark brown hear and dark skintone, just as his kids. No, not me, I got much traits from my dad. :p But everyone else in that family tree that I know and seen photos of (if deceased) are blonde or light brown with pale skin and usually with freckles. I'm kind of black sheep among relatives. :D Am I really? Because this DNA tracking thing is new, I'm not sure would it be worth go DNA geneaology myself to find out if it was just a natural mutation or my grandgrandmother was naughty. ;) It's something I'll have to discuss with my bro and sis first ofc.

To repeat, I didn't give too much of thought on all of this. In fact I've never thought perhaps there are some more relatives out there I didn't even know about.

You've seen me shilling for a few of spanish series, but what you don't know is that I don't like what Spain did through history. And you don't need to know that I despise their inquisition equally as their massmurdering conquistadors. Sadly nothing today can change those old crimes against humanity.
But thanks to DNA ancestry projects, it's possible one horrible crime can still get a satisfying closure, this one:
The lost children of Francoism
Spain's stolen babies and the families who lived a lie

DeAngelo’s DNA wasn’t in any police database.

In read in the newspaper that he had been fired from police service after stealing something.
Perhaps that was why he wasn't in any police database.

Considering he was busted for stealing dog repellent, and this was a known substance to be used at some of the attack sites, I'm really surprised they didn't glam onto this guy much earlier. Some time has passed since the initial investigations, so I'm pretty certain that we may never know the entire history of this sad story.

https://wccftech.com/whatsapp-jan-koum-leaves-facebook/
Jan Koum is reportedly leaving over Facebook’s attempts to use WhatsApp data and weaken its encryption
That's WatsApp company CEO.

In some other thread I said that I use Viber (also multiplatform messaging solution), Ripper pointed out Signal is also awsome (note it can't be installed on windows phone, only windows desktop). You don't need to know that in order to use them fully on your desktop, first you need to have these services installed on a smartphone. No, you can't "fake" something with Nokia 3310. Sadly.

Another thing today, windows is rolling new huge update and I got it on my PC, not on the tablet yet. Upon it's installation you get questions on privacy settings. One of those is:

pic.jpg

Microsoft doesn't need to know if I visit pussy.org, right?

Total Biscuit retires as games critic due to health problems:
https://www.reddit.com/r/cynicalbritofficial/comments/8g4eoj/official_totalbiscuits_future/

One of my heroes who pointed at all scams brought on PC, who didn't hide issues in broken ports nor praised those, who covered niche games and not only AAA titles, who didn't insult the audience with suggesting mushrooms when K+M controls were horrid. You don't need to know how sad I am now and how helpless I feel because I cannot change anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cynicalbritofficial/comments/8g4eoj/official_totalbiscuits_future/

One of my heroes who pointed at all scams brought on PC, who didn't hide issues in broken ports nor praised those, who covered niche games and not only AAA titles, who didn't insult the audience with suggesting mushrooms when K+M controls were horrid. You don't need to know how sad I am now and how helpless I feel because I cannot change anything.

Very sad. I've been through this with one too many people.

Spring is here. Ah, spring is here! I think the loveliest time of the year is the autumn. But spring comes next.

But, as you (should) know, spring is not only about doing away with pigeons and squirrels (and doing animal experiments). No, what makes it complete for me is attacking growing grass with bright knives and loud noise.

So a couple of days ago with summerly heat, temperatures rising above 20 C (which I'm not entirely happy with), I for the first time this year brought forth my benzin powered behemoth of a lawn-and-whatever's-in-it mower. After several attempts at starting it came to life with a roar. And off I went to the mellow tunes of Rammstein, mercilessly ravaging strands of grass and - sad to say - a significant amount of moss. Probably also a few species from the Animalia kingdom. Chordata phylum excluded, so no pigeons or squirrels. Like my cat they tend to run away in panic whenever the device approaches, and I choose to let them run.

This FYI. I suspect seismic side-effects, so if things started shaking where you reside, now you know.

pibbur who may have told you what name he has assigned to the machine.

EDIT: I see that my ramblings about killing pigeons and squirrels and whatever come immediately after the sad news brought by joxer. I'm a bit uncomfortable by this, I don't want to appear tasteless. OTOH I can easily be too sensitive about things like that, so I really don't know.

Last edited:
Tonight is the final in the Eurovision Song Contest 2018.

pibbur who refuses to comment.

PS. Since some of the watchers no doubt is in interested in this, I've also created a separate post with a slightly different angle. DS.

Pibs, I had to laugh at your calling 20 degrees summer heat; to me that is a cool, but pleasant winter's day!! :)

Perfect for hatching spider eggs.

That is depressing news as I used to watch his videos. I still laugh at his videos that critique most Bio-ware games especially Dragon Age 2. Best wishes to his family.

Back
Top Bottom