BioWare - David Gaider & Romance Options

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
OXM has an article about David Gaider, and romance options in Bioware games.

"I can easily imagine a time when the romances in Inquisition are revealed (whether that will be before or after release, I have no idea)," Gaider wrote. "There will be an inevitable reaction from people who are disappointed they couldn't romance someone with their character of choice, and some of them will rant at length as to how they were only deprived of said romance because of some agenda.
He then talks about both sides, and mentions they might try something different.

"I know some fans would be happy if we just abandoned the effort altogether," Gaider went on. "Generally those are people who don't use that sort of content in our games anyhow, so us not pursuing it naturally wouldn't bother them. I'll just ignore the element who see romances as a thing that only 'fangirls' like, and which is thus of lesser value to a 'real game'.

"It's possible we could answer that question. We've made a few games without romances before, and we could do it again. Perhaps, if we made a new IP, we might decide it's best not to open that particular Pandora's Box (which, yes, romances have always been) and go with something else...but that 'something else' better be something damned good, as there are a lot of people who enjoy that part of our games immensely and who might not be willing to buy into a new series which didn't have it.

"Some folks might be eager to write those fans off, but I'm not really sure that BioWare feels the same."
As for me I don't mind them in my games, but it would be nice to see something different.

More information.

What's the point of making an interview about it?

Bioware wants to do romance options.
EA asks is it selling.
Bioware says yes it's selling.
EA says okay, make it and add some more as DLC.

----

Meanwhile fans ask when will Bioware points go on sale.
Bioware and EA don't answer, they're busy, romances design takes so much time...

Ahhh, the monthly Gaider interview related to romance options in mainstream no-soul games.

Fantastic.

EA asks is it selling.

Has romance options ever been added to a BioWare game as a DLC? Also, fairly certain BioWare has had romances in their games ever since BG2, so it's hardly got anything to do with EA.

Well, It's not an interview so there was no point... David's answered a fan question on his thumblr (he does that almost daily) and OXM made an article out of it.

The question was "Have you ever thought about making a game without romances?" by the way...

*@coaster Not sure if depressed is the right word. More like frustrated, he gets really cranky and snarky sometimes.

"There will be an inevitable reaction from people who are disappointed they couldn't romance someone with their character of choice, and some of them will rant at length as to how they were only deprived of said romance because of some agenda."

Anyone else find this an incredibly ironic statement coming from David Gaider?

Anyway, I like his writing, regardless of his caricature status these days. I also enjoy romance options in gaming. Simply put, you're never going to please everyone.

"There will be an inevitable reaction from people who are disappointed they couldn't romance someone with their character of choice, and some of them will rant at length as to how they were only deprived of said romance because of some agenda."

Anyone else find this an incredibly ironic statement coming from David Gaider?

How is it ironic? The BSN is full of people doing exactly what David is saying there. Some even preemptively and not just about romance.

EA asks is it selling.

Making the romance options in a game a DLC is an excellent idea.

Am I alone in feeling like romance, sex and gambling have no place in RPGs? The first two are only interesting because in the real world they involve chemical/hormonal responses, ie. physical reactions. Watching romance simulated in a video game is to me completely pointless. And what makes gambling interesting is the possibility of winning/losing money. Take away money and gamble against a computer and it's boring.

Am I alone in feeling like romance, sex and gambling have no place in RPGs? The first two are only interesting because in the real world they involve chemical/hormonal responses, ie. physical reactions. Watching romance simulated in a video game is to me completely pointless. And what makes gambling interesting is the possibility of winning/losing money. Take away money and gamble against a computer and it's boring.

I agree with you... at least up until we have holodeck technology. ;)

I agree with you… at least up until we have holodeck technology.
The man who invents the holodeck will be very rich.:biggrin: So many possibility's.
Well, It's not an interview so there was no point… David's answered a fan question on his thumblr (he does that almost daily) and OXM made an article out of it..
Joxer doesn't read the links just the quotes. I learned that from other posts.^^

Last edited:
I think he is good man! Gaider had courage and cool ideas. Adding romances to RPGs was no easy thing and very risky in this business. I do not think it is easy and riskless even today. Too many guys feel uncomfortable even with optional romance. Computer games are still very much dominated by macho attitudes, sort of the "Chuck Norris"-wannabe gamers, who do not want to be a "softie".

I welcome the options. Isn't a story driven RPG supposed to be about options? It's not that any Bioware RPG ever forced you to romance an NPC. You have to pursue it.

Oh god, really? But shooting and torturing is alright? Sorry, but I don't see the logic in this. In a ROLE playing game you should be able to play your role as every you want. Sex, love and gambling are part of life. Don't want them? Well, then don't DO them in your games.

Problem solved.

I don't need the Southern Baptists to edit my games.

Back
Top Bottom