Old School Rpg's first person realtime,, or top download turn based?

Old School Rpg's first person realtime,, or top download turn based?

• first person realtime

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • top download turn based

Votes: 21 75.0%

• Total voters
I am just trying to get an idea of what most people would play if they had a choice to play a new old school style pc rpg.
Old School Rpg's first person realtime, or top download turn based?

Where is an option "couldn't care less as long as it's RPG"?

I like first-person when it's offered (I've played the first 2 Gothic games in first-person and enjoyed them a lot that way), but any system can be good. I'm more into the RPG elements, mechanics and overall RPG-ness of the title than how it looks.

Top down and turn based generally, but if its a good first person realtime game then I'm totally happy. Basically, just depends on whether the game is any good.

Old School Rpg's first person realtime, or top download turn based?
But... your avatar... Wizardry 8 was first person turn based! I liked that combat system a lot, too.

First person. Turn based is for old people with poor reflexes and too much time on their hands. :p

Last edited:
I like first-person when it's offered (I've played the first 2 Gothic games in first-person and enjoyed them a lot that way), but any system can be good. I'm more into the RPG elements, mechanics and overall RPG-ness of the title than how it looks.

I would really have to say Gothic 2 is one of my all time fav's.

I would really have to say Gothic 2 is one of my all time fav's.

I prefer Gothic 1 overall but G2 is excellent as well. I think the setting of G1 is really unique and executed very well, giving a strong sense of being in an actual prison colony with nothing but the rags on your back, building yourself up slowly in this rough place where it is difficult to survive and resources are scarce, etc. G2 has that as well, using a clever trick to "reset" your character when you start the game, but G1 has a stronger sense of that to me.

Still both really great RPGs and unique in every way. I'd suggest starting with the first game for anyone who wants to play the series for the first time, but I suggest that for every RPG series that features sequels that include the same characters, etc.. :)

I prefer Gothic 1 overall but G2 is excellent as well. I think the setting of G1 is really unique and executed very well, giving a strong sense of being in an actual prison colony with nothing but the rags on your back, building yourself up slowly in this rough place where it is difficult to survive and resources are scarce, etc. G2 has that as well, using a clever trick to "reset" your character when you start the game, but G1 has a stronger sense of that to me.

Still both really great RPGs and unique in every way. I'd suggest starting with the first game for anyone who wants to play the series for the first time, but I suggest that for every RPG series that features sequels that include the same characters, etc.. :)

My problem was, I played Gothic 2 first, and i tried to play Gothic 1 later but, I couldnt get the controls to work good and i died a lot. I liked the combat controls better in Gothic 2

I think the best scenario for CRPG fans are when all styles of gameplay are represented over a wide range of games; first person, third person, isometric, real time, turn-based, RTwP, etc etc etc.

While I definitely have my preferences, I've played and enjoyed CRPGs from all of the above categories.

First person, of course. Realtime is okay, too.

Top down. I actively avoid first person games, they are actually far less immersive for me. Prefer turn-based to real time, but will stomach real time if other things are done well.

Variety is the spice of life as they say. I don't have a particular preference one way or the other as I tend to play between the two perspectives and combat types a good deal.

Also, it all rather depends on the actual "meat" and content in the sandwich rather than merely the type of bread that it's created in. :)

Both can work if implemented properly.
We went with top-down (isometric actually) turn-based for our game, Ash of Gods.
First-person real time was great in Arx Fatalis.

Where's first person turn based and top down real time? And what does Phantasie count as, since the maps are top-down(ish) but the combat is more akin to the Wizardry formula?

I prefer turn based, party based games; period. That doesn't mean I won't play and enjoy real time games, or single character games, but they don't grab my attention as easily. It all comes down to gameplay, and the plot itself.

When I first started playing CRPG's back in the early to mid 80's, I was very into the Wizardry series and not so much into the Ultima series, and since then I find myself still drawn more towards first person games. Personally I feel more immersed when playing first person. Preferably turn-based or maybe something RTwP or like VATS

Back
Top Bottom