Black Geyser - Gameplay Video & Kickstarter Soon

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A Kickstarter will be coming soon for Black Geyser.

Our Kickstarter campaign is coming soon! http://www.blackgeyser.com Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness is an isometric, party and XP-based, realtime-with-pause RPG set in the world of Yerengal. The current video provides a basic introduction to the game. Special thanks to our team member, Steve Ryhn for his help in creating this video.
More information.

Last edited:
Now this kickstarter does interest me. Hopefully this gets funded and development time wont take to long. As I've been following this game for a few years already.

Looks kinda generic. I hope it's not a poor man's Baldur's Gate and nothing more.

"XP-based"... :lol: Guess that is necessary to say now because of PoE.

Initial thoughts... I'm in.
However I'm out if they mention PvP, Online Mode, or mention a single member of the Scam of the Avatar DeceitForce.

The more games that are like BG, the better.

As long as they are good as BG, yeah, give me a ton of them. My concerns about projects like these ones are that sometimes they try to LOOK like old-school games like the Infinity Engine ones but they do not understand very well what made them good.

As long as they are good as BG, yeah, give me a ton of them. My concerns about projects like these ones are that sometimes they try to LOOK like old-school games like the Infinity Engine ones but they do not understand very well what made them good.

There are some games like Pillars of Eternity which looked infinity but played quite differently.

The UI looks just like PoE... Surprisingly so...

The clincher will probably be the "greed" thing he hints at... "Fallen"!
I get a touch worried when people get too creative...
Creativity is good, but only when tempered with thorough rigorous pre-release critique.

This does have my attention though!

Looks interesting! I guess this will be earliest 2019. Good, so I have time for Kingmaker this year.

So it's actually alive. Nice. It has been covered by RPGWatch in 2015. I've checked their website from time to time and it looked pretty much abandoned after 2016.

I hope they pull off their KS campaign now. I'm in.

Yeah, looks good, I'll probably back it, and I hope they pull it off. The radio silence since 2015 (when a Kickstarter was also imminent) is a bit weird though.

Interesting that they went with a five character party size (or is it 5 npcs + the protagonist = 6 party size?). I'm looking forward to hearing more about the ruleset and their team during the Kickstarter campaign.

This JOKE is still alive. LOL. Let see what they make of it, I certainly don't trust them with my money.

The radio silence since 2015 (when a Kickstarter was also imminent) is a bit weird though.
Yep. I think they had problems finding investors or to get the game to a presentable state - which is probably the same thing.

Yep. I think they had problems finding investors or to get the game to a presentable state - which is probably the same thing.

I haven't been following it closely, but has there been much obvious progress? They already seem to have had the character art and some gameplay videos (now deleted) back in 2015.

I think there wasn't much to follow.
What I meant is that to get investors you have to have something to show.

Hello, I'm a member of Black Geyser team. Thank you for your feedback, everyone! The total party size will be 5 characters. This includes the protagonist.

Our old video (defeating Lord Balrun) is still available on YouTube, but we don't refer to it in our recent updates. This is because it uses the old (now obsolete) game UI.

Fortunately, the game is much more than just presentable. :) It's almost finished. But in software industry, everyone knows what "almost" means. This is especially true in gaming industry. We need to finish the missing parts, refine and balance every aspect of the game, do the Quality Assurance etc. And more importantly, before we complete it, we need your feedback. We need as many players as possible to hear about this project. Kickstarter is very useful for that too.

The other reason for Kickstarter is that our (old and new) investors need a successful Kickstarter as a proof of interest. After that, we receive their final round of funds. And this also explains why it took us so much time to agree with investors: we want to retain full control over the project (including creative freedom). As a new studio, it is not easy to find investors, telling them "we need your money, but we want to keep full control over the project". This is why we don't want a publisher at the moment. One of the publishers who approached us was very tempting, but one of its conditions was that we aren't allowed (!) to do a Kickstarter at all.

And creating a full-featured RPG (inspired by Baldur's Gate) requires a lot of money. So you're absolutely right that we had some problems in the past finding enough investors, but that's now solved. :) We're now backed by several private investors.

Both the Kickstarter page and the video are 100% finished, so the launch is guaranteed. We just need to promote the game before KS launch, because a lot of people still don't know that Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness exists at all.

And no more silence - there will be regular updates from now on. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nice color palette and neat GUI!! Had to watch the entire video for some reason with minimal skipping. Not turn-based, but inventive enough to be interesting. Also the combat has some original animations, not like the Pillars of Shitternity junk and modern animation-garbage we are forced to endure nowadays with these birds eye view games.

Hello, I'm a member of Black Geyser team. Thank you for your feedback, everyone! The total party size will be 5 characters. This includes the protagonist.

Our old video (defeating Lord Balrun) is still available on YouTube, but we don't refer to it in our recent updates. This is because it uses the old (now obsolete) game UI.
[..]

Excellent job on the new GUI! Avoid the soulless Black & White UI designs at all costs!

Back
Top Bottom