What games are you playing now?

Playing Divinity: Original Sin. I'm going to try to actually finish it this time. About 8 hours in, and I'm enjoying it enough, but Cyseal starts out so slow. I've literally only fought 3 battles so far.
If you're anything like me you'll have fun until leaving Cyseal and start getting bored in the forest area and quit the game.
I tried five times to finish this game since release and never could. I genuinely fell asleep while playing once…
The wierd thing is that I actually think it's an excellent game (I just can't play it…).

I've rediscovered King's Bounty: the Legend :heart:

besides that, been dabbling a bit in:
Two Point Hospital (just aint my thing, glad I got it cheap)
HoMM 3 (always fun to come back around to)

KB is fun but you have to chose your units wisely based on their stats. I was recruiting left and right and midgame fights were slugfests. Somehow I managed to reach the dragon boss and got mauled.
I might go flag hunting and build up my army then roll over the enemies on my next playthrough but where's the fun in that.

I pre-ordered ‘Vampire the Masquerade: Coteries of New York’ for Nintendo Switch, and it released yesterday. I have only played a little bit so far but it seems like a fun little adventure game, solid port :)

Wasn't happy at all with my build in Kingmaker so I quit and now I'm replaying Baldur's Gate (original, with BGTrilogy conversion and a hanfull of other mods).
I'm stunned by how much fun I have with it.

Playing a fighter/mage this time.

If you're anything like me you'll have fun until leaving Cyseal and start getting bored in the forest area and quit the game.
I tried five times to finish this game since release and never could. I genuinely fell asleep while playing once…
The wierd thing is that I actually think it's an excellent game (I just can't play it…).

I'm actually enjoying it a lot more since I started exploring the wilderness around Cyseal. The outside areas strike a good balance between combat and exploration as opposed to the city which is pretty much non-stop dialogue.

The only thing I'm not real fond of is the camera. I remember disliking it when I played the original release, and it hasn't improved. It requires too much micromanagement, and I wish it could zoom out more.

Playing Jedi fallen order...much cheaper on the Epic store. Qite like the story, but OMG, the platformer/tomb raider stuff ;/ And the puzzles - somehow I overlooked these because it was Star Wras, which I love, but stuck in a temple playig with balls now *cough* and getting very irritated. Don't mind the odd element of either, but there's a lot. And the controls for mouse are shite - I end up flailing around madly. I'm going to try remap keeps to some thing better, but its no fun to experiment in combat or explore- you die you lose all progress to last enforced save point. So keep on trying to get back to a meditation spot to save.

Also been laying Risen, but a little tired of that now.

Day 1 of lockdown for us....ugh

but OMG, the platformer/tomb raider stuff ;/ And the puzzles - somehow I overlooked these because it was Star Wras, which I love, but stuck in a temple playig with balls now *cough* and getting very irritated. Don't mind the odd element of either, but there's a lot.

That was the thing that has kept me from replaying it (especially after just replaying the IMO superior Jedi Knight II & Jedi Academy), it was SO constantly GAMEY. And it over-used pretty much every one of its’ mechanics ... the ball level in the temple is a great example of that old “if it was fun once, it will be really awesome making gamers do it 10 times, right?!?”

And the controls for mouse are shite - I end up flailing around madly.

I ended up grabbing an XBOX One controller for that reason ... still not a controller fan, but the game was clearly made with one in mind.

I'm on floor 2 of Tower of Time, about halfway through this 2nd floor and the plot has decided to reveal that one of the causes for the collapse of humanity was that everyone decided to take to dancing and having fun.

I find it amusing how some people still cling to this notion that dancing is associated with decaying versions of decadent societies. As if the past 100 years of societal crisis' have ever even come close to providing evidence to anything but the contrary.

*In RPG story-teller voice* : The world as we know it came to a sad and untimely end as the nothingness crept ever closer amid a population lost in the throws of… [dramatic pause and drum rolls]… ZUMBA!

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm actually enjoying it a lot more since I started exploring the wilderness around Cyseal. The outside areas strike a good balance between combat and exploration as opposed to the city which is pretty much non-stop dialogue.
I didn't express myself clearly, I meant the big forest area after you leave the Cyseal area altogether, the second chapter.
From that point, the already weak story doesn't grab me at all and I lose interest in the game.

The only thing I'm not real fond of is the camera. I remember disliking it when I played the original release, and it hasn't improved. It requires too much micromanagement, and I wish it could zoom out more.
Myself, I hate the "chain link" character thing. Selecting a single character is a pain and more than often the "formation" system outside of combats make the units move by themselves and step into traps or puddle of poison.
You can see that exact problem in the BG3 gameplay video, when Swein tries to negociate a difficult trap and has his unselected main character steps by itself into it every time he moves his follower (the mage hand).
Terrible system.

PS: and again I not sure I make sense.
My written English skills doesn't allow me to be too technical or even too serious, I learn the language on reddit, so I'm better with edgy bullshit talks :-/
It is fairly frustrating.

Last edited:
Got a brand new computer for Christmas, so finally spun up that one game I had been waiting to play until my system could handle it: The Witcher 3.

I feel like I only just started it, and yet according to GOG Galaxy I'm already 70+ hours in, and I feel like I only barely scratched the surface. So that's a good thing, right? And yet, I can't help but feel slightly disappointed after all the hype. It's a pretty game (though not as awesomesauce as I was expecting), but the exploration (or lack thereof) and lack of meaningful loot (yuck for level-gated gear) waters the entire experience down. I disabled the markers on the map, but still, now I find myself running from peasant to strumpet to ensure I don't miss a quest.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but it could be better; as an "action-RPG", it definitely doesn't dethrone Gothic 2 imho.
As for positives so far, story and atmosphere are top notch, and I am loving the quests. Then again, I am a sucker for this sort of setting: gritty, morally grey with lots of political intrigue.

I've only just made it to Novigrad, so I am curious to see how the story develops. Speaking of Novigrad, damn, as far as a city in a game goes, it's probably one of the best and most realistic I've seen.

I didn't express myself clearly, I meant the big forest area after you leave the Cyseal area altogether, the second chapter.
From that point, the already weak story doesn't grab me at all and I lose interest in the game.

It seems to be a popular opinion that the first 1/3-1/2 of D:OS is better than the later parts of the game. I can't say because I've never made it that far, but I hope the difference isn't enough to make me quit again. I really want to finish it this time and move on to D:OS 2.

Got a brand new computer for Christmas, so finally spun up that one game I had been waiting to play until my system could handle it: The Witcher 3.

I feel like I only just started it, and yet according to GOG Galaxy I'm already 70+ hours in, and I feel like I only barely scratched the surface. So that's a good thing, right? And yet, I can't help but feel slightly disappointed after all the hype. It's a pretty game (though not as awesomesauce as I was expecting), but the exploration (or lack thereof) and lack of meaningful loot (yuck for level-gated gear) waters the entire experience down. I disabled the markers on the map, but still, now I find myself running from peasant to strumpet to ensure I don't miss a quest.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but it could be better; as an "action-RPG", it definitely doesn't dethrone Gothic 2 imho.
As for positives so far, story and atmosphere are top notch, and I am loving the quests. Then again, I am a sucker for this sort of setting: gritty, morally grey with lots of political intrigue.

I've only just made it to Novigrad, so I am curious to see how the story develops. Speaking of Novigrad, damn, as far as a city in a game goes, it's probably one of the best and most realistic I've seen.

Do yourself a favor and try to play it more organically. What I mean is, don't make it a point to talk to every single non-essential NPC for fear of missing a sidequest. You'll just end up overleveled and likely feeling burned-out before you reach the end. Just go where the story takes you and do the side content that seems the most interesting.

It's very different from something like Gothic 2, and you'll end up disappointed if you try to play it the same way.

Do all of the side content.
TW3 is not a game where side content is brainless grindy filler.
Do not go for a single one ? at seas and you won't burn out.

After getting through the new NWN module (it was OK), I restarted Star Wars Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2) on a new Microsoft Surface I picked up recently. I was happy too get it running well ... had to fiddle more than a bit. Absolutely LOVE this game - the size, scale and scope of these levels are exhausting!

I've rolled several new alts on EQ two, Kaladim server and so far having a lot of fun with some new mates. Great to replay some of this content before the game went all wonky with ridiculous mechanics that make no sense, if you enjoyed EQ two back when it was fun this is a great server to play on.

Back
Top Bottom