Mass Effect 2 - Futuristic Science Explained

aries100

SasqWatch
I'm not going to speak about how viable it is, but I have to acknowledge that the science concepts of Mass Effect worked for me.

I'm no science buff by any means, and I'm sure there are zillions of reasons that it can't actually work - but it was plausible to me, and I found the whole backstory quite interesting and well thought out.

Probably the strongest part of the game for me.

Even the different races and their cultures were done pretty well, considering. I mean, I know it suffers from the Star Trek syndrome of most races consisting of a few isolated human aspects, but what else can they do, really?

Though, I could have done without the Krogans - as they're a bit too cliché in my book.

All so theoretical and speculative. But if there were a zillion scientific reasons to discredit these theories, I guess they'd have been thrown out long ago. Still, I don't think there is much that supports string theory, negative energy, etc. yet. I'm not very knowledgable about it, though!

And the Krogans were the coolest of the races in Mass Effect! I thought the whole genophage angle was a nice variation on the whole warrior race.

And the Krogans were the coolest of the races in Mass Effect! I thought the whole genophage angle was a nice variation on the whole warrior race.

Oh, I liked the way they were created as well.

I think what I dislike is how Bioware treat their characters - but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

I'm pretty heavily invested in trying to comprehend the human condition, and I tend to find the portrayal of beings in fiction quite lacking in terms of nuance and reality. Even if it's an alien - because obviously they're based on what the writers have experience with, which can never be an actual alien.

The character of Wrex, for instance, is apparently very popular - but I think he was one of the most boring and predictable characters, but most Bioware characters are - in my experience.

If I had to pick a favorite, it'd probably be Kaidan - because I think he has more weight behind his personality than most. Even if I find him a bit dull.

I'm pretty heavily invested in trying to comprehend the human condition, and I tend to find the portrayal of beings in fiction quite lacking in terms of nuance and reality. Even if it's an alien - because obviously they're based on what the writers have experience with, which can never be an actual alien.

Oh, I've tried giving up making sense of it all and I'm much happier for it, because it doesn't make sense. There's no meaning in life or existence. But do you believe that the effects of the environment on evolution would be so great that the resulting lifeform would be so different from life on earth that there is no resemblence? How can you be sure?

In any case, having aliens that you cannot relate to in any human way would not be good for fiction. I can't see how that would make for an enjoyable character. I'm sure someone will try to prove me wrong with some sort of reference.

The character of Wrex, for instance, is apparently very popular - but I think he was one of the most boring and predictable characters, but most Bioware characters are - in my experience.

Yeah, don't care. Romance stories are predictable. Avatar was predictable. Couldn't really handle those, because they're not my kind of predictable. I mean, if I'm into something and enjoy it, just give me more of it! I don't need every game to be totally new. Just new enough.

I never understand reviewers who complain this or that mechanic is "dated". If it worked then, it works now. Yeah, I don't want to have the feeling that I've watched the story already before (Avatar), but use some recognizable elements? Sure.

I did like Wrex better than the new Krogan in Mass Effect 2, though.

In any case, having aliens that you cannot relate to in any human way would not be good for fiction. I can't see how that would make for an enjoyable character. I'm sure someone will try to prove me wrong with some sort of reference.

But don't we agree here?

I'm not interested in something I can't relate to.

Yeah, don't care. Romance stories are predictable. Avatar was predictable. Couldn't really handle those, because they're not my kind of predictable. I mean, if I'm into something and enjoy it, just give me more of it! I don't need every game to be totally new. Just new enough

Oh, I don't want anything new in particular either. I just want something I can enjoy, and stories that are exceptionally predictable and shallow won't cut it.

I never understand reviewers who complain this or that mechanic is "dated". If it worked then, it works now. Yeah, I don't want to have the feeling that I've watched the story already before (Avatar), but use some recognizable elements? Sure.

Agreed, it can work - but it has do be done with care and it has to "smell" of an artist having a vision, rather than businessmen sticking to a blueprint formula to make a product.

Back
Top Bottom